Turbo issues???

Scottynic

Reaction score
Was out today and was going thru town. When changing from 3-4 with slightly spirited driving I was getting white smoke from the exhaust and now and again I get an oil smell thru the heating vents.

My S3 has been using alot of oil but performance seems ok.

Is my turbo on its way out?

cheers

how much oil have you been goin through? my s3 has been using alot of oil, say 1litre for every 600 miles, and just wondering if this is the next step for me?

thanks

paddy

doesnt oil burn blue? i thought it was water and oil mixture that burnt white..could be wrong tho

doesnt oil burn blue? i thought it was water and oil mixture that burnt white..could be wrong tho

actually yer i think your right, beacuse a blown head gasket, is indicated by white smoke, due to the oil and water burning. think its pretty rare that a 1.8 20v T head gasket to go though, so i heard any way, suposidly very strong!

if the head has blown you would lose power and it would over heat and you would get blue smoke coming out

Turbo seal failiure can be noticed by higher oil consumption and white smoke out of the exhaust, usually on tick over or the over run. The reason i see for the non blue smoke is it's not actually being burnt it's being passed directly into the exhaust through the faulty seal.

When the turbo has pressure on it, ie when its on boost the load tends to push the CHRA together creating a seal, hence the leak at tick over or over run.

As long as you are having no overheating or loss of power issues, the HG will be ok

whats the cost of replacing turbo seals roughly? would it cause damage if i just kept topping oil up rather than changing the seals for the sort term?

9 times out of 10
when you send the turbo to have the seals replaced they will say it has a cracked exhaust housing ( most k04s have them not a problem in most cases) but they are not very happy rebuilding something with a crack.
To rebuild a k04 hybrid ( probs more as they are larger bearings/seals)
it was going to cost me £160 at turbo dynamics.