converting s3 to facelift lights

s3_kev

Stage2'd!!!!!!
Reaction score
im currently trying to source some s3/xenon facelift headlights but its near on imposible to get any with in a decent price but the a3 non xenon ones are cheap and you can even get non genuine new ones for under £70 each, so my question is has anyone put a3 headlights on an s3??
if i was to do it id convert to a hid kit so not to loose the xenon feature but is it possible to wire in a hid kit in place of a xenon kit?? and will the s3 automatic headlamp level adjusters go in to the a3 manual adjusters?? any other complications anyone can think of would be good also as im not keen to buy them then not be able to get them to fit,

cheers all

no one got any help here then???
does anyone no if i could use my std ballast and just use the wiring to the new bulbs h4 hid i guess, or does anyone no if all hid/xenon bulbs have the same plug adapter at the back of the bulb??

Need to get this right....

Im guessing you already have a pre-facelift S3 with Xenon lights? But your talking about removing them to fit the facelift Xenon lights. You cant find them for a resonable price so wondering if you bought ordinary A3 lights you could fit an after market kit/use you original light parts?

I cant recommend after market kits on standard lights, the headlights aren't designed for that type of light & so the beam pattern will be wrong without the defuser Xenon headlights have.

The wiring will be different but not impossible to change.

Need to get this right....

Im guessing you already have a pre-facelift S3 with Xenon lights? But your talking about removing them to fit the facelift Xenon lights. You cant find them for a resonable price so wondering if you bought ordinary A3 lights you could fit an after market kit/use you original light parts?

I cant recommend after market kits on standard lights, the headlights aren't designed for that type of light & so the beam pattern will be wrong without the defuser Xenon headlights have.

The wiring will be different but not impossible to change.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the S3 headlights have the same projector as normal halogen A3's? The beam pattern is the same, as they are projectors.

I think the self-levelling functionality will be gone as the motor is built into the headlamp. I wouldn't recommend it. I actually prefer the placement of the xenon projector on the pre-facelifts!

yeah i prefer the posistioning of the prefaclift light components but prefer the look overall of the facelift lights, looks like i will either have to leave the pre facelifts in or buy some expensive facelifts we will see

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the S3 headlights have the same projector as normal halogen A3's? The beam pattern is the same, as they are projectors.

mmm, trying to remember back your right LOL. Its the 8P's dont have projectors.

When i changed to Facelift lights on my A3 i was able to retain the electric leveler..... the new lights had manual adjusters in but you can just twist them out and place in your origional motors.... i would be very suprised if the S3 motors are different..... there's some pics of the motors in this writeup i did... here...

http://www.audifans.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=25706

Hope that helps.... Regards Mark

Does anyone know if the connectors are different or are they plug and play as xenon ones are different to halogen? I'm sure mine are square but I want facelift ones!

holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg

Reactions: actualeddie
A3 and S3 lights have different plugs, I bought a pair of aftermarket lights and they had an A3 plug, it was just a case of working out which wires did what with a mulitmeter and making an adaptor to connect the two plugs together.