Chris NottEM Tuning
    Roads? We Dont Need Roads!!!!

Status

Short shift crunch.....?

Any peeps had a short shift fitted then had crunching of gears? I saw a warning on Diesel Geeks site and want to know before I purchase. My gears dont crunch at the moment but thats because I have impeccable gear change

Anyhows, was just wondering.

Cheers Cheers
    b

Car: A3 1.8T QS (ARY)
    Mods: Revo Stage 2, Milltek, K&N, Forge 007p, B8's & Eibach Springs, 312MM OEM Brakes, BBS LM's, Light Pack, Ally TT Pedals, New Audi Gear Knob, Int LED's
    Wish List: ARB's, FMIC, Hose's, Maybe A Clean Engine Bay and Free Petrol

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Mines quite bad but im wanting a dieselgeek shifter in the future
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

Status
    hmmmmmm Any other peeps with them and crunching? I dont think I am gonna do it if there is Le Crunch. My ears are sensitive

Dani_B19, is that not annoying to you? Like is it a lot of crunching or just a particular gear?

Mods: Revo Stage 2, Milltek, K&N, Forge 007p, B8's & Eibach Springs, 312MM OEM Brakes, BBS LM's, Light Pack, Ally TT Pedals, New Audi Gear Knob, Int LED's

Status
    Annoying as hell, it gets in the way when driving quite enthuisasticly aswell, going to get the dogbone mount fitted to hopefully try and reduce it

Top Gear
    Cell-Out Champion

Status
    the TT one doesn't crunch on mine. It's like standard but much better with a reduced throw. Looks OEM and also a very cheap mod
    ^^ In my opinion

2nd Gear

Status
    Fitted the Diesel Geek kit 5000km's ago. Box didn't crunch before and doesn't do it now. In fact it transformed the gearchange. The promised reduction in throw was a bit exaturated but it is 15-20% shorter, especially horizontially. Also fitted the Powerflex dogbone (the two large square ones, not the round bushing) and that did tighten up the feel a lot. Now I can change from first to second a lot faster. If only that stupid electronic gass controller would stop taking e pills. I miss the old style cable operated gass valves :-)
    My old car.. Still miss the lil rocket :-)

Remapped Stage II - Forge FMIC - Dahlb�ck Intake - K&N - DieselGeek ShortShift - Phenolic - Powerflex Dogbone - Rial Daytona Race 8.5x18" ET30 - Forge Tiebars - Bilstein B8 - H&R 25mm - R32 rear ARB - H&R 20mm Spacers - EBC Discs - Red Stuff pads

Oil running through my veins.

Status
    The crunching is where people change before the clutch is fully down.. its just adapting to fast clutch action, they're hands move faster than there foot... Just an observation from when i let my m8 drive my short shifted civic VTI back in the day.. he couldnt hack it lol... I'm sure you'll get used to it.
    Totally addicted to boost.

My other cars a mk2 Golf GTi

Status
    I've got a Diesel Geek short shift, no problems at all! Its awesome, highly recommend getting one!

The standard S3 gear box does seem a little rough around the edges though!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly P View Post
    I've got a Diesel Geek short shift, no problems at all! Its awesome, highly recommend getting one!

The standard S3 gear box does seem a little rough around the edges though!
    I have to agree on that. The S3 'box is NOT very refined at all. It doesn't have the slick mechanical feel to it. But it's not the worst I had either. Short shift and dog bone bushes made a lot better.

I have to correct my previous post. The reduction in throw are bigger vertically, not horisontically. At least on mine. Didn't adjust anything when I initiately installed it - it was smack on the first time so I didn't want to spend endless hours trying to reduce throw even more...

Remapped Stage II - Forge FMIC - Dahlb�ck Intake - K&N - DieselGeek ShortShift - Phenolic - Powerflex Dogbone - Rial Daytona Race 8.5x18" ET30 - Forge Tiebars - Bilstein B8 - H&R 25mm - R32 rear ARB - H&R 20mm Spacers - EBC Discs - Red Stuff pads

Flat Oot like a ducks Foot

Status
    I've fitted the Forge short shift. Looks like the OEM but has a slot for adjustment.

No probs with crunching either.
    ...... Waiting Paitently...

Status
    Right! Thats it sorted then

I will get one. Think I will go for the Diesel Geeks one as there are a few good comments on this.

I also read that if there is a syncro issue/crunch to start with then the short shift will amplify the issue..... I don't have any crunch so I think I will be ok.

Mr Moeller, Any chance of part number for the Powerflex dogbone? I will buy you a virtual pint!

Cheers for the help people!

My other cars a mk2 Golf GTi

Status
    The Diesel geek one reduces throw both up and down and side to side, most other kits just do up and down. Any way, yea, get one there awesome!

http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Ca...ort+Shift+Kits

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bl_1969 View Post
    Right! Thats it sorted then

I will get one. Think I will go for the Diesel Geeks one as there are a few good comments on this.

I also read that if there is a syncro issue/crunch to start with then the short shift will amplify the issue..... I don't have any crunch so I think I will be ok.

Mr Moeller, Any chance of part number for the Powerflex dogbone? I will buy you a virtual pint!

Cheers for the help people!
    Here you go: PFF85-420

Status
    So what does the tt part shorten, side to side or up an down.

Status
    Cheers Dennis!

Youre Dethpicable!!

Status
    I've got the dieselgeek shifter as well, but I got it because my OEM gears were a bit crunchy and very slow to engage. I've got the older version of the dieselgeek so I gotta update to see if it makes a difference........I didn't really answer your question but I wanted to give you my input either way
    2002 S3 BAM | Jabba Re-Map | Uprated Haldex | Koni adjustable coilovers | Neuspeed ARBs | Powerflex Bushes | ECS tie-bars | Dog bone | Eibach spacers | TTDA | T'Dynamics DV | Dieselgeek short shift | Toyos | MIJ Custom Exhaust | Sound system | Security Tints |

Audi S3-BAM