poor rolling road result :( need help!

edwards_a3

Reaction score
hey,
after popping down to the rolling road at SRD in launceston, i left very very unhappy. i have recently had my A3 1.8T remapped so thought it was agout time i had it checked. i ended up pulling about 121bhp at the wheels, NOT COOL!
the guy down there seemed to think it was running a little lean, and there was a slight fueling problem. although i have just had a brand new fuel pump fitted
even so where the hell has all my power gone, dont get me wrong, it feels very quick indeed, but that figure makes me want to cry.
the car is 1997 and has done 145k, but theres gotta be something i can do.

any ideas about the whole "lean" thing and bad fueling

cheers

When was your A3 last serviced? I remember seeing something on top gear were they dyno'ed it, Gave it a good service and dyno'ed it again and got a huge power increase from the 1st time.
What was the BHP at the flywheel?
Were did you go to get it mapped?

Yo Eddie,

Did Mark use the big fan when he power tested it? was it in front of the drivers side front wheel? Marks rollers are pretty slippy too from what I've seen, did he use any of his belt spray stuff to help the tyres grip to the rollers?

I take it you didn't get a graph print out? (last time I was there the rollers wern't hooked up to a computer)

Try and borrow vagcom from someone and log the maf whilst giving it beans from low down to redline, you want to be getting between 140 and 150 g/s on the maf, which could indicate between 175-190bhp, which is roughly where you should be.

You're probably loosing 40bhp through the tranny I'd imagine, so it looks like it's probably around 160ish at the crank currently.

Try and get yourself along to a RR day at a place with a decent modern dyno like AJ's or AP Motors, and get yourself a print out of power and torque, as well as fuelling

thanks for the replys, erm yea belt spray was used, and it is long overdue a service so that will be done after mot if i decide to keep it as my luck has again struck.
i fear my gearbox has gone, i first lost reverse, then couldnt drive it, got father to give it some whilst i followed in his, and all of a sudden there is me covered in smoke, so the car is parked, where it will stay untill i devise a plan.

but thanks again for your replies, if i calm down i may look into all your solutions.