Esp or not?

ash_pearce

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help me...

I have a 1997 1.8t, no esp button or light on the dash. However there is a noise coming from the front of the car when the wheels let go. I first noticed it the other day as I pulled out on a roundabout, the wheels started to spin when i put it in to second gear. I have tried several atempts on private roads since then to light the wheels up to see if I have esp, the wheels do light up but not as easy as i would have thought.

I've had cars with traction control before and genearlly you can feel the engine hold back when the system is activated. The a3 sounds as if a system is being activated but nothing apears to happen, is this my abs system flipping out because the wheels are at different speeds or do i have esp?

The sound is very similar to the abs sound when you plant the brake pedal.

Anyone else with the same model got any ideas?

thanks in advance:salute:

You haven't got ESP, my old A3 used to spin up no worries in the wet...

any ideas what the noise is then? It must be abs related as it sounds very simimlar to when the abs kicks in.

I have had the same noise twice now, usualy when turning and flooring it, never had it in a straigt line yet. First time my heart sank I had only had the car a couple of weeks but no adverse effect from it happening. Would be interested if anyone has any ideas? Could it be bearings or am I barking up totaly the wrong tree :blush:

CV joint possibly.... especially if you are anything other than steering straight

<tuffty/>

CV joint possibly.... especially if you are anything other than steering straight

<tuffty/>

I've checked the cv's, driveshafts, diff, my noise sounds electrical, like a pump activating.

I suppose delving deeper it could be play on the output or lay shaft within the gearbox, but there's no way i'm stripping the box apart. I'll live with it until something goes pop. Just another joy of owning a car.

I have had the same noise twice now, usualy when turning and flooring it, never had it in a straigt line yet. First time my heart sank I had only had the car a couple of weeks but no adverse effect from it happening. Would be interested if anyone has any ideas? Could it be bearings or am I barking up totaly the wrong tree :blush:

Bearings tend to be a whirring or rumbling noise, normally present above a certain speed getter worse as the speed increases.

Ahh, showing my lack of knowledge there :blush:

i saw something on this forum a while back that said a pre facelift A3 (no ESP Button) had an automatic ESP control up to a certain speed 15-25mph, (i think). I hope i havn't read incorrectly! My A3 used to do it before the remap! I've got to admit the first time i heard it i thought thats got to be bad! please keep us posted if anyone finds anything different!