KO4 001 RST ebay item

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
hola chaps

my neighbour has a Leon cupra with a KO3 fitted, hes wanting a direct replacement turbo to bolt on without having to change the manifold - has anyone any ideas on this advertised ebay item that he is considering....they apparently go for around £200 and produced and distributed by a firm in the US...hes also been offered a KO3s for £200 with 40k on it....also considering a T3/4 kit off the bay for £377 including FMIC, not sure about this though as may be too much work involved.

the firm is Relentless sport tuning who are offering the KO4 turbo

my mind says that you get what you pay for, all seem too cheap but hes going to buy one regardless so wondered if anyone has any experiance with any of the above

the k04 wont bolt straight onto his k03 manifold as the flange is different and so is the location of the turbo also the down pipe will be different, if he wants a cheap conversion with only swapping a turbo over the best option is k03s

There is a dude on the forum that fitted a Ko4 to his A3.. i believe he changed the injectors and the downpipe too.. i think his website is something like www.kal-el.com? if he see's this im sure he can shed some more light...

I know of the guy, there is a couple of threads here about it I think... The CR Turbos K04 with K03 fitment is a direct K03 replacement, uses the K04 housing from a RS6 IIRC with a modded compressor outlet to retain the K03 fitting with a K03 hotside. Bill had one in his workshop and I know he has fitted one to an Ibiza Cupra and was getting S3 power+ (280bhp ish)

The S3 K04 route won't give as much power (the CR Turbos one is a hybrid and flows more than a std K04) and there will be more work involved...

<tuffty/>

cheers tufty, it is definately a direct replace as the KO4 wont bolt up.... they sell it on the bay as exactly a direct replace item..... id guess at £200 a pop they wont be originals

cheers tufty, it is definately a direct replace as the KO4 wont bolt up.... they sell it on the bay as exactly a direct replace item..... id guess at £200 a pop they wont be originals

...no and I wouldn't like to guess how reliable they would be... The CR Turbos one would be the way to do it mate... K03 fitment, K04 hybrid compressor... Stage 2 map and S3 (or equiv) injectors at a guess and job done...

I have given them a call myself as they do a hybrid K04 for the S3... flows up to 300bhp and costs £495 + vat when I send in my old turbo...

<tuffty/>

tufty whats the crack with the KO4 hybrid....straight replace? im guessing id have to pop the engine off the mounts to get the chuff off.......? i still want to keep as much as standard as poss, ie not bothered about sinking 2k into the car on stuff like exhausts etc etc..... id guess at £495+vat and mapping 1k would be pipped but possibly worth it....

ive read up on that post on seatcupra.net, certainly know their stuff dont they over there!!?? some rapid Ibiza's knocking around.... not sure hes gonna go for the CR turbo though, thats exchange price and with this £200 jobby he will have his as a spare....

Basically, they take yours (unless you buy outright which costs more), refurb it throughout with new bearings, 360 degree thrust bearing etc and use the internals from an RS6 K04. They machine the compressor housing to suit etc and what you get back is a refurb'd as new turbo capable of around 300bhp with the right mods.

Bolts straight on to the existing kit so keeps it all std. They say they can turn the turbo work over in 5 days more or less, they pick it up from you, do the work then deliver it back done with 12 months warrenty.

I'm with you mate, I saw Mat20vt's A3 BT being built, kudos to Bill at Badger 5 and his associates but really could not be ***** to go to that expense and hassle to get it all in.

Should be able to map it to produce at least 280 bhp reliably (maybe more) on std exhaust/DP/manifold etc, no idea what the torque would be like as I guess it depends on the amount of boost you run but 1.4bar is doable by all accounts.

I am looking to do this in June/July time as I have just bought myself a cheap run around to use while I have my car off the road for odds and sods of work I am doing... can't not have a car but at least this way I have something to drive and can take my time getting it done.

<tuffty/>

i hear its at least a 6-7 hour job to replace the KO4.....have you done any research on that? cant be any worse than the thermostat:hubbahubba:

I have printed the procedure from ElsaWin but not sure how long it will take tbh. As I will have another car to use I will be taking my time. I am gonna do a bit more research before and make sure I get all the bits ready (gaskets etc..) I will also be asking Bill for some advice too... getting it off shouldn't be a prob, its getting it back on and making sure its all fed with oil and the like before starting up for the first time... thats what concerns me more but I'll take pics and do a write up etc after (and hopefully a dyno run).

I have a few other bits to do too including (I hope) a FMIC.

<tuffty/>

well keep us informed fella:beerchug:

think im going to attempt the FMIC around July time once i come back from hols, TBH not considered this route properly until you mentioned the cost of the unit, obviously a map would be needed..... curious as to what benefit a new manifold would give too.... damn it, wasnt gonna spend anything on this damn car and its all going to s**t!!!

well keep us informed fella:beerchug:

Will do mate...

TBH not considered this route properly until you mentioned the cost of the unit, obviously a map would be needed..... curious as to what benefit a new manifold would give too....

I had thought about it but most hybrid options were pretty expensive, in the £800 to £1200 range depending on who you go to but at £495+vat thats near enough what you would pay for a decent std turbo on exchange so if nothing else you get a refurb turbo out of it.

The most restrictive part on the S3 is the manifold by all accounts, this is why changing things like exhausts, downpipes and air filters don't do much for power. I don't think there is much gain in bhp terms but the engine will be more responsive and provide power through more of the rev range so its a drivability thing I guess...

Its one of those mods like the FMIC, doesn't give much gain in power in its own right but contributes to the overall performance of the car...

damn it, wasnt gonna spend anything on this damn car and its all going to s**t!!!

Nor me mate... bought an S3 thinking I would have the performance etc without the hassle and having to spend any money... how wrong I was!!!!

think its the turbo bug..... cos they are soooo tuneable (mostly) you always want to add that lil extra part which you can always seem to feel the benefit of (placebo or not)

quick update, the neighbour ended up with a KO3s after all.... hes also bought a forge FMIC which hes managed to get at trade through work (gonna price up S3 one too)........... only reservation i have is that a local tuner who is supposed to be good with VAG stuff has said he'll get him about 270bhp out of the KO3s, hes got an RR at his work as hes a mechanic so he can check the befores and after easily enough...i just cant see it when the KO4 struggles to make that power when running silly boost... i know its on a 2wd Leon but still

whats the consensus on this? is 270 bhp achievable on a Leon cupra with FMIC, sports exhaust, standard cats/downpipe, cone filter, forge pipes, 007p and a few other bits?... i thought not