Audi S3 Vs Honda S2000

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
I know this will no doubt cause arguments but i love these threads.
So here we go.

Was on the way home from work today when a red S2000 pulled up behind me with this mincer driving it, could tell he thought he was something with the way he was driving.
Came to a mini round about and was up my **** so started tickling the accelerator to see if he'd bite and he did.
Came up to some really sharp country lanes and a floored it (Kept to the national speed limit as signed :whistle2:) and off we went, the gap opened alittle until we got to the bends and my god, i left him for dust, the S3 kept tight in all the time but the S2000 was all over the show, either in the middle or right hand side of the road.
So naturaly i thought right done my part and slowed down ploding along and back he came just as we got to a junction.
Traffic cleared and as i pulled out he went on the outside to try and over take me so off we went again and i still killed him even in a straight line.

So verdict is either a very **** driver or just not as good acar as i thought.
Hope you enjoyed that little lot haha.

Is your motor Standard Dani?

If the driver doesn't know how to handle a rear wheel drive car through bends at speed he may have been bottling it a bit but I would have thought he would have kept with you or gone past you on a straight.

if your motor is stock dani then it was really weird, dont the s2000 have around 240 hp stock? and light as plastic

Yeah standard.
Well pulled up parkers and had alook at the stats and just thought it would have been better than what it was, think i just exepected more from it, heard afew good things about the S2000 and tihnk id built up the car tobe better than it was if you get me

interesting as the guy i brought my s3 from was selling as he wanted to upgrade to an s2000 guess he's regretting that move now :)

0-60 6s
236-240bhp depending
weight 1260-1271 depending

my mate has just got a s2000, haven't had the chance for a drive together yet though.
It sure felt fast in the s2000 when i was out in it, revs to something like 9.5K.

I know another chap thats just got an s3, not chipped yet. He's been out for a drive with the s2000 driver and he reckons he (s3) was ******* allover him. I have my doubts.

s2000 is 240 hp isn't it?

Probably was a crap driver mate... S2k has over 200 kilos less weight with slightly more power. Add the transmission losses of the 4-wheel drive S3 to that and you have a no contest unless it was wet, then it could be closer.

Honestly the way it went you'd have never thought it had that kind of capability, i was embarresed for him, the only thing that was close was in astright line but even then it was pushing acar length between us.

Leshkin. You mention the transmission loss but at the end of the day the 0-60 times are still 6 seconds for the S2K and 6.4 for an S3 so straight line sprints shouldn't be too different. The S2K should out handle the S3 through the bends if driven correctly.

Having driven a few S2Ks in my time, I can say they can be as quick as a remapped S3 in a straight line. But, you really need to know how to drive them. The real power doesnt kick in until above 6k revs, if your in the wrong gear or the wrong revs, a car like the S3 will be too far ahead by the time you've got the car going. Also, you really need to know how to handle a quick RWD car to attack bends/B roads etc. And in the wet, as many owners will admit (see their forums), your average chav in a Saxo vts or Golf GTi is quicker.

Sure, but then you get things like S3's low gearing, which would lessen the effect of the loss over a short sprint, but 0.4 of a second would make a bit of difference imho.

I think everyone would agree the dude was a muppet and didn't know what to do with the car.

Saying that, I'd love to go up against one in my remapped and lowered S3 (after the brakes are upgraded)... I think it would be a different story :eyebrows:

Having driven a few S2Ks in my time, I can say they can be as quick as a remapped S3 in a straight line. But, you really need to know how to drive them. The real power doesnt kick in until above 6k revs, if your in the wrong gear or the wrong revs, a car like the S3 will be too far ahead by the time you've got the car going. Also, you really need to know how to handle a quick RWD car to attack bends/B roads etc. And in the wet, as many owners will admit (see their forums), your average chav in a Saxo vts or Golf GTi is quicker.

Me thinks, you're spot on there mate.

Like Vetch says a quick rear wheel drive car is frightening through bends if you're not used to it. I had an elise for a year and never really got to grips with it. After only ever driving fast front wheel drive cars the feel of a rear wheel drive car is soooo different. The feel of the weight distribution through bends is so much different too. The early S2Ks were notorious for being hedge finders, Honda sorted out the weight distribution on the newer models ;)

It certainly ay the car at fault dude, more like the driver.............

Sorry to hijack the the thread but last firday i overtook a lorry on a single long straight carrigeway,

i noticed a grey audi behind me as they overtook too i pulled back in after i overtook the lorry still hard on the throttle and now at some speed:no:, and it flew past me and i mean flew, i could not keep up it just vanished,i caught back up with it later on it was an 08/09 Audi rs6 estate man that was one quick car made mine seem like a 1.1 fiesta lol, ive just googled them 570bhp is that right?:wtf:a very nice car indeed, cheers Oski

Honestly the way it went you'd have never thought it had that kind of capability, i was embarresed for him, the only thing that was close was in astright line but even then it was pushing acar length between us.

Maybe it's because you've smoothed our your air box...:)

Sorry to hijack the the thread but last firday i overtook a lorry on a single long straight carrigeway,

i noticed a grey audi behind me as they overtook too i pulled back in after i overtook the lorry still hard on the throttle and now at some speed:no:, and it flew past me and i mean flew, i could not keep up it just vanished,i caught back up with it later on it was an 08/09 Audi rs6 estate man that was one quick car made mine seem like a 1.1 fiesta lol, ive just googled them 570bhp is that right?:wtf:a very nice car indeed, cheers Oski

RS6 is an awesome car, same engine as a gallardo but with 2 turbos...I had a similar experience in my A3 turbo with an RS4, hard to believe how quick they are till you have a go...ha ha, was very funny indeed...:)

RS6 is an awesome car, same engine as a gallardo but with 2 turbos...I had a similar experience in my A3 turbo with an RS4, hard to believe how quick they are till you have a go...ha ha, was very funny indeed...:)

Lol i could not believe its got 570bhp when i just googled it that is crazyin an estate, thats more than ferraris and lambos, i thought it was just overtaking the lorry too untill it was right behind me and then it was gone, i did have 4 peopleup, some lugage and 2 crates of beer ,cough cough lol i had no chance serious machine,

As above, perfect explanation. It goes to show how good an allrounder the S3 is, it is very easy to drive which means more often people can get the best out of it, whereas something like the S2k which only has decent power over 6k and no traction control means you've really got to know the car and even then conditions need to be right against an S3. My mate had one for a few years until he lost the back end at about 40mph, but it was enough to bring him off the road, down a bank and into a tree (write off). I guess he wasn't concentrating enough but with no driving aids and RWD you have to be.

Lol i could not believe its got 570bhp when i just googled it that is crazyin an estate, thats more than ferraris and lambos, i thought it was just overtaking the lorry too untill it was right behind me and then it was gone, i did have 4 peopleup, some lugage and 2 crates of beer ,cough cough lol i had no chance serious machine,

Such an amazing car. I had a passenger ride round Castle Coombe in one, it so effortlessly gets up to crazy speed very quickly.

In the hands of a skilled driver in favourable conditions I would say the S2000 would fodderise a stock S3 (210, 225). A remapped S3 would probably be a good match (more power, but also more weight and higher transmission losses, so I would guess at it still being similar bhp per tonne).

I cant imagine many s2000 drivers being that skilled though so dont be surprised if you beat one, expecially if your S3 is modified.

Even the civic type Rs are pretty rapid when driven properly and they are some 40 horses less than the S2000, but the type R would still be a good match for a stock S3 IMO (perhaps not on very wet slippery roads though).

Nobody has mentioned the lack of torque the S2000 has compared to the S3. My remapped S3 has more torque than my M3 had plus AWD so i'm not supprised A-B the S3 is hard to beat.
You'd have to be pretty hot in a RWD car to hold your own. Something the average driver isn't!
I miss the feedback and fun factor but the S3 is seriously good a making progress

I seem to remember a while back a test between CTR and S2000 and it was mighty close or the CTR won???

i've had a play with a s2000 in my remapped car and to be honest there was no competition, as soon as i put my foot down i pulled quite easily away from him and then when we repeted with him infront i could easily overtake him on the airfiled ofcourse. i must admit i expected more from them. around corners cant comment. fair play though!!

Also remember that the S2000 has a silly VTEC engine so has no torque and you have to really thrash it to get any decent power!

well i had a go in a straight line when mine was standard, i lost after about 60mph, but i know now that was down to 2 or 3 boost leaks :)

I think some of you guys are missing the point with Vtec engines and their relatively low torque outputs. It's all about the gearing, so while our S3's hit the rev limiter @ around 7200rpm in 2nd gear doing approx 59mph, the S2000 can probably pull over 60mph in 2nd at a dizzy 9k revs+. Yes you need to rev the rollox out of a Vtec to get the best performance, and it really does give you a buzz when the Vtec kicks in @6k revs+, that's what it's all about, the buzz of it when owning an S2000 with the roof down! :racer:
I would still take the S3 as a daily driver though. :)

well i had a go in a straight line when mine was standard, i lost after about 60mph, but i know now that was down to 2 or 3 boost leaks :)

LOL, wasnt it just a minor leak tim. was this before or after the clio incident?:asskicking:

I think some of you guys are missing the point with Vtec engines and their relatively low torque outputs. It's all about the gearing, so while our S3's hit the rev limiter @ around 7200rpm in 2nd gear doing approx 59mph, the S2000 can probably pull over 60mph in 2nd at a dizzy 9k revs+. Yes you need to rev the rollox out of a Vtec to get the best performance, and it really does give you a buzz when the Vtec kicks in @6k revs+, that's what it's all about, the buzz of it when owning an S2000 with the roof down! :racer:
I would still take the S3 as a daily driver though. :)

So is the buzz from a turbo kicking in! You get loads more torque and a much more drivable car! VTEC is complete over engineering!

So is the buzz from a turbo kicking in! You get loads more torque and a much more drivable car! VTEC is complete over engineering!

Since you are running 310bhp Olly, it's not exactly a fair comparison is it like for like?
I noticed you have a Mk2 Golf also(16V?), what do you think about the powerdelivery of that? It has nowhere near the torque your S3 offers, but I bet you love driving it! :racer:

Guys how do you know how hard you can push the S3 without it losing traction and and going into a hedge round a bend? (sorry going off topic here!) Do you usually wait for the ESP light to start flashing to warn you, or can you 'feel' via the steering wheel and general movement of the car when not to add more power?

I'm still getting used to mine but I've had to be carefull recently as my rear tyres on nearly on the limiters... (getting F1's next month)

If I plan on pushing the car then the ESP gets switched off. I then rely on the car to tell me when it's loosing grip - there is tons of it on S3, but you feel it sliding well in advance. Lowering the car and changing the ARBs helps with handling/feedback no end, so is a highly recommended mod.

Torque is certainly good for a few things - everyday driveability (thats not actually a word but you know what I mean), pulling caravans uphill and giving derv owners something to brag about. But in terms of the S3 and S2K going to head to head, its not too relevant (assuming both drivers are competent). The S2K gets to 60mph in 6 seconds and to 100mph in low 14s I believe. Thats as quick if not a touch quicker than a remapped S3.

I think we can all agree that the S3 makes a better daily driver and is easier to drive on the limit though.

LOL, wasnt it just a minor leak tim. was this before or after the clio incident?:asskicking:

haha it was my 2nd week of ownership, the clio was a month later.... then booked it in for the map....and found that leak on the morning of the map:moa:....... then RR'd it and it still wasnt making power, found another split and replaced MAF, DV etc, THEN still had fault codes and had JBS diagnose the leak under the intake manifold with a pipe split almost in half....

bring on that clio :) 197....that said ive had several 182's try since in several different scenarios, not one has come close... :s3addict:

higfher torqe normly means better pull away once underway say 40-60 60-80 dont it i mean in the small amount of race's ive had most of the time i leave them from 40+ but bog down from standing i havnt turned my esp off yet does it make the car that much better? and congrats on the s2000 kill:) last thing i raced and smashed was a mg zs and that was funny as hell(what a chav car)

i think you'd notice the torque more when going up hill, thats when a natural engine will be worse off against a turbo car