Volks AutosChris Nott
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a3 wheels

essex boy :)

Status

a3 wheels

i have an a3 1.8t with the standard 16" turbo wheels, i am thinking about puttin a set of 17's on soon.sounds silly but i wanted to know if and how much it will affect the speed/ride of the car if anybody knows?
    thanks for your help
    '98 azure blue a3 1.8t, forge 007p,KW 40mm springs/shocks,18" polished rs4's,s-style chrome mirros,black diamond front 20 groove discs,ebc greenstuff pads,painted and decal'd calipers,colour-coded engine cover,aero wipers,chrome indicator bulbs,l.e.d xenon sidelight bulbs,h.i.d xenon headlight bulb kit,let the work begin!

Latest addition - s style chrome mirrors
    Next up - remap,exhaust

2. # ADS
    ADS

Smell my finger.

Status
    Hello,

Dont worry about fitting bigger wheels because with the lower profile tyres the overall diameter will be the same (if not only very VERY slightly out). I fitted 18's to my A3 and there's been no problems with the speedo over/under reading etc.

As for ride quality etc then you will feel the bumps a bit more as you wont have the big squishy profile tyres soaking up a few bumps. Its nothing to worry about though. I ran mine on 18's for a couple fo weeks before I lowered it and it was fine (it still is, now its lowered 40mm)

Welcome to the site anyway, what wheels are you thinking of fitting?.

Tom
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Also take into consideration a slight drop in performance and slightly less mpg when going up a size or two on alloys.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

Status
    hi, thanks for your help lads, to be honest tom i'm in the middle of choosing what alloys i want.i'm thinking some euro deep dish multi or 5 spokes seen some really nice league, lenso and new fox rs range deep dish alloys!
    you have any ideas? what you have on your motor?
    '98 azure blue a3 1.8t, forge 007p,KW 40mm springs/shocks,18" polished rs4's,s-style chrome mirros,black diamond front 20 groove discs,ebc greenstuff pads,painted and decal'd calipers,colour-coded engine cover,aero wipers,chrome indicator bulbs,l.e.d xenon sidelight bulbs,h.i.d xenon headlight bulb kit,let the work begin!

Next up - remap,exhaust

Smell my finger.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLTYA3TURBO View Post
    hi, thanks for your help lads, to be honest tom i'm in the middle of choosing what alloys i want.i'm thinking some euro deep dish multi or 5 spokes seen some really nice league, lenso and new fox rs range deep dish alloys!
    you have any ideas? what you have on your motor?

jojo has Porsche Cup 3's on his S3 which to be honest.....give me a bit of a chubby!. They look awesome (as seen in his avatar).

I have Mk2 RS4 replica's with the split spokes as per my sig pic in 18".

Lots of people are liking the BBS LM replicas at the moment, they are very nice but I can see them becoming quite common now which is fine I suppose.

if I was buying wheels again I'd go for something a bit rarer but mine were cheap and couldnt afford anything more expensive with all the other cash I splashed on my car at the same time!.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

Status
    yea those bbs lm's do look tasty! those prsche rims are yummy!got a semi myself haha, here are the 4 wheels i'm looking at at the minute will probably see more as im searching tho as u do lol

lenso df1 in hyperblack

fox rs jk5

lenso symphony

fox rs vr5

hmmm decisions
    Last edited by ROLTYA3TURBO; 12th May 2009 at 19:31.

Next up - remap,exhaust

Wheels urgently needed

Status
    yea those bbs lm's do look tasty! those prsche rims are yummy!got a semi myself haha, here are the 4 wheels i'm looking at at the minute will probably see more as im searching tho as u do lol

lenso df1 in hyperblack

like these one! nice but mean

S3

Status
    This is just my opinion, and that is what these forums are all about, but all those wheels look ****e! I always stick with OEM or OEM reps.
    Audi S3

Smell my finger.

Status
    Are you going for any lowering too?.

Not sure about the wheels you've posted to be honest though!.

Smell my finger.

Status
    I agree with the OEM look etc.

I was >this close< to buying some Nuvolari replicas when I was on the market for some wheels. They look good, still OEM looking and most of all I thik would suit an A3..

You can pick them up cheap from any replica wheel place and also get them in various shades etc and two tone grey and silver. Nice wheels in my opinion and not seen all that much.

Go for some 18's and get your car lowered and it'd look lovely, being as your cars dark blue then look at the two tone ones with the grey inserts.

T

S3 Drift King!

Status

lenso df1 in hyperblack

fox rs jk5

lenso symphony

fox rs vr5

hmmm decisions
    Top 2 are OK, I would avoid the bottom 2 though. Just buy whatever wheels you are happy with, it's your car and your money, and if it makes you happy, no ones opinion can change that.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

BBP

Status
    I'm a big fan of the BBS reps. Either LMs, but as Tom said they're becoming more common nowadays, but also the BBS RS GT reps, which aren't quite as common and still have a deepish dish.

I have R8 Reps, still OEM, and have only ever seen two cars with them on in the flesh, and one of them was an R8! Although tbh, I'm already bored of them...good luck

17" BBS RS Reps, JOM Coilovers, TT ARB, Facelift Front & Rear Lights, Aero wipers, LEDs all round, 6000K HIDs, Blacked out Grill & Rings, De-wipered,
    12" 1000w FliTrap Sub, Colour Coded Lowers & Skirts...

Status
    love these rims but have no idea what make or model they are, anyone have any ideas?

Next up - remap,exhaust

Status
    they look similar to the bbs lm's? im not sure

Next up - remap,exhaust

1st Gear

Status
    i looked hard for these , bid on lots of sets on ebay before picking these up for 425 +postage 500 all in with tires i think OEM these take some beating

changed the centers to BBS (not cheap but worth it )

Rob

Status
    hi guys, i think i know what alloys i'm going for now a set of 18" BLACK rs4 series 1 alloys.below is a pic,could only find them from 1 website (alloywheels.com) does any1 know anywhere else you can pick these up? think these would look great on my car is its dark blue, at same time im gonna paint the calipers eitha red or gold and upgrade the discs all round what do you think?

Next up - remap,exhaust

Spooly Spooly Boosty Boosty!

Status
    love these rims but have no idea what make or model they are, anyone have any ideas?
    I just had a minor trouser explosion...
    Cheap and Reliable is not Fast. Cheap and Fast is not Reliable. Fast and Reliable is not Cheap!

Status
    hmmm now i really am in a dilemma! just see these 18" rs4 polished finish with black insert finish,i'm stumped between these or the black finish?both 18" both around the same money
    or

what do you guys think?
    polished/black or all black?

Next up - remap,exhaust

BBP

Status
    I'd say have a look at these before you make any decisions...if you're after a darker wheel that is! They're a very cheap rep and look the business.

17" BBS RS Reps, JOM Coilovers, TT ARB, Facelift Front & Rear Lights, Aero wipers, LEDs all round, 6000K HIDs, Blacked out Grill & Rings, De-wipered,
    12" 1000w FliTrap Sub, Colour Coded Lowers & Skirts...

Status
    finally decided on eitha of these 2 wheels

polished/black insert rs4

or the polished/black insert Nuvolari rep's

eitha in 18inch but can't decide which ones
    then i'm going to lower my car,but need advice on coilovers or shocks/springs as i'd like a sporty ride but not to harsh!like the idea of adjustable ride height too!
    what do you guys think?

Next up - remap,exhaust

Smell my finger.

Status
    Nuvolari's if it was me all day long.

To be honest though, 18's are built for looks and not comfort so bear that in mind

Suspension - I can rate the Wietec Ultra GT 40mm kit, looks great on 18's and isnt rock hard. When I was running my 16's earlier this week the car was sooooo smooth with the Wietec kit on, its the 18's that have made it firm.

Status
    but i mean the black/polished neuvo's tom?not the grey silver ones.yea obviously i know the ride will be harder when i lower it but just don't want it crashing hard lol,this car is gonna be all about speed and power once i get past this wheel/suspension stage and i think 17's would be a bit too small?
    is your kit a spring/shock setup?seems like your wheels sit nice in the arches

Next up - remap,exhaust

Smell my finger.

Status
    Yep its a spring and shock kit. Its low but not too low so I'm not knocking the bottom out of my car on speedbumps etc.

I mean the black and polished ones too mate, they look superb.

If you buy 17's you'll want 18's though so you may as well just get 18's....I did. I find a 40mm drop and 18's is about perfect on an A3

Status
    i rather like 'em too!look different, nice n chunky.think i'm gonna go for these!40mm looks about right and as you say you dont smash the bottom of your motor on bumps etc so i'm gonna have to have a look into this after i've got my wheels,might go upto harrow to the shop that are selling them 2mrw see if i can come home with them

Next up - remap,exhaust

Smell my finger.

Status
    Just be warned that when you fit the wheels before you lower it you'll be rolling around in a monster truck

I did for about a week, lets off road!!!.

T

Status
    yeh i remember when i was doin my corsa years ago rolled around like a 4x4 for about a month! but hopefully once i get the new wheels i wont have to wait that long whooooo

Next up - remap,exhaust

Status
    dammit the local wheel dealer near me are out of stock of the noulovari's!anybody know where i could look near london/essex? thanks

Next up - remap,exhaust

Smell my finger.

Status
    dammit the local wheel dealer near me are out of stock of the noulovari's!anybody know where i could look near london/essex? thanks

Just mail order them matey, loads of places online will send them out to you

Reverse Gear

Status
    Have you tryed Elite in Essex? or if you can get to Walthamstow there seems to be loads of wheel shops selling reps.
    Last edited by 1.8twes; 22nd June 2009 at 19:17.
    2000 AUDI A3 1.8 Turbo Sport- VMaxx Coilovers, Whiteline Front Anti Roll Bar, FK Strut Brace, Forge Split R Dump Valve, Apiro Carbon Fibre Induction Kit., 18"BBS LM reps
    Coming Soon-Whiteline Rear ARB , Vortex Exhaust

Status
    ye tru just i have a bit of free time this week was gonna go pick them up but looks like mail order is the case
    what are the fitment for your wheels tom? are they 5x112 et45?

Next up - remap,exhaust

Smell my finger.

Status
    ye tru just i have a bit of free time this week was gonna go pick them up but looks like mail order is the case
    what are the fitment for your wheels tom? are they 5x112 et45?

You need 5 x 100 - ET35 mate, thats what I have and they're spot on.

T

Status
    cheers mate, i'll get prowling the net

Next up - remap,exhaust

...Watching you!

Status
    I personally think the nuvolari wheels are big and bogus looking...not attractive, and although they my look good on newer audis, they don't suit 8L A3s. I think BBS style all the way.
    IHI-VF34 + RACELOGIC + Parada SpecII = Who needs Quattro?! 0-60 5.1s @ Inters '06

Thought of the month: People need to understand what is meant by 'Build Thread'...

...Watching you!

Status
    Awesome! i think they are Rial Daytona IIs

IHI-VF34 + RACELOGIC + Parada SpecII = Who needs Quattro?! 0-60 5.1s @ Inters '06

Thought of the month: People need to understand what is meant by 'Build Thread'...

...Watching you!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavin1986 View Post
    I'd say have a look at these before you make any decisions...if you're after a darker wheel that is! They're a very cheap rep and look the business.
    They are very sexy wheels, and give it a proper touring car look. the design is very strong too so the fact that they are cheap replicas is a little less to worry about. The problem with replicas generally is they are made from p*ss poor materials and are generally weak, so if you are going down the reps route, try and get a design which is structurally stronger.

Brown passenger seat.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RichA3Turbo View Post
    Awesome! i think they are Rial Daytona IIs

Rial gets my Vote!
    Was looking at some 17" Borbet A's at one point lol. Would be awsome but i couldnt find any for sale in 17" at the time....

The One And Only Brown Bora

Current: 2007 S3, Solar Orange - Revo Stage1 + all the toys
    Sold: 2000 S3, Black
    Sold: 2003 BAM Nogaro Blue S3, Revo Stage2, 19" Rial Daytona's, AP Coilovers
    Sold: 2001 A3 1.8T
    Sold: 2002 A3 1.8T, Custurd Code, BBS CH, AP Coilovers
    Sold: 1999 A3 1.6, Jewish Racing Gold, S4 Wheels

Xbox live ID: o_HODGE_o
    PS3 live ID: Hodge_09

...Watching you!

Status
    Yeah the daytonas are on my list. Similar to the LMs but i prefer them. cost about 2000 though.

1st Gear

Status
    hey guys some similar ones here for 1/4 the cost, most noticeable difference is a smaller lip.

http://www.alloywheels.com/product.a...archSize=18%22

Brown passenger seat.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenin View Post
    hey guys some similar ones here for 1/4 the cost, most noticeable difference is a smaller lip.

http://www.alloywheels.com/product.a...archSize=18%22
    Rial's look alot better with the bigger lip... But for 1/4 the price it sounds better.

The One And Only Brown Bora

Current: 2007 S3, Solar Orange - Revo Stage1 + all the toys
    Sold: 2000 S3, Black
    Sold: 2003 BAM Nogaro Blue S3, Revo Stage2, 19" Rial Daytona's, AP Coilovers
    Sold: 2001 A3 1.8T
    Sold: 2002 A3 1.8T, Custurd Code, BBS CH, AP Coilovers
    Sold: 1999 A3 1.6, Jewish Racing Gold, S4 Wheels

Xbox live ID: o_HODGE_o
    PS3 live ID: Hodge_09

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RichA3Turbo View Post
    I personally think the nuvolari wheels are big and bogus looking...not attractive, and although they my look good on newer audis, they don't suit 8L A3s. I think BBS style all the way.
    i can understand what your saying,but thats your opinion fella,i rather like the look and difference of the nuvolari's.don't wanna go down the same route as everyone else who's got an 8l a3.would rather do summin different.

Next up - remap,exhaust

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast