Help installing carkit

koonl

Reaction score
Anyone got any tips on routing the cables and where to site the receiver? In particular, looking to put the controller on the console between the front seats, just in front of the gearbox surround, and the mic on the roof by the interior light, but I'm not sure how to route it all. All I need is some instructions and some pics if poss, as I'm not confident in undoing trim unless shown first. I've got the SE K700 and will either buy the SE HCB-30 or Nokia CARK-7W. Does anyone know if the nokia supply speaker output and mute cables, as the HCB-30 will need another £30 for these?

Thanks

Not sure about your routing problem BUT if you go to the nokia web site they have a very good tech help line i sent a request and got a E-mail next day helping me ! so they should be able to answer your questions about speaker and mute cables ,
good luck with the rest mick

I am getting the Sony Ericsson HCB-30 installed on Friday.

I'm guessing you've been to the Carphonewarehouse and they are telling you it's an extra £30 to have the sound coming through you stereo speaking.

This is wrong. All modern Audis are pre-wired for this!

I'm getting mine supplied and installed for £169 + vat.

Carphonewarehouse were going to be charging £149 for the part and £85 for fitting, or £115 if I want the sound to come through the stero speakers!

The HCB-30 is advised to be professionally installed! Check your Yellow Pages for installers.

the hcb-30 doesnt need any additional cables to mute the audi radios - you dont need the advanced mute kit

the audi radios have an audi+ and - and a mute line, and the hcb-30 attaches straight to this - it mutes the radio and the sound comes out of the front speakers.

if you take off the glove box, the units sits perfectly above the fan casing for the demister/aircon behind the glove box and finds phones in the boot without problems.

i put the hand controller just under the ash tray, on the inside left of the bits tray below the ash tray - easy reach and direct vision of the driver but not stuck on the dash anywhere.

there is an autoleads adapter pair that make it a plug and play job. but they cost about £50

wow, and there i was just about to fork out on some unnecessary wiring! Thanks for all that - I'll go for the HCB in that case. Quick question - why recommended professional install? Is it because of the electrical installation that is special or the physical removal and re-fitting of trim work, or a combination of both. I'm an IT engineer by trade and see too many people ripped off paying for IT repairs when they can do it themselves - I like to learn to do things myself if possible and save a few quid.

[ QUOTE ]
dunk said:
the hcb-30 doesnt need any additional cables to mute the audi radios - you dont need the advanced mute kit

the audi radios have an audi+ and - and a mute line, and the hcb-30 attaches straight to this - it mutes the radio and the sound comes out of the front speakers.

if you take off the glove box, the units sits perfectly above the fan casing for the demister/aircon behind the glove box and finds phones in the boot without problems.

i put the hand controller just under the ash tray, on the inside left of the bits tray below the ash tray - easy reach and direct vision of the driver but not stuck on the dash anywhere.

there is an autoleads adapter pair that make it a plug and play job. but they cost about £50

[/ QUOTE ]
Dunc

Can you provide a pic of where you installed the controller. I'm still unsure where to install mine!

[ QUOTE ]
koonl said:
wow, and there i was just about to fork out on some unnecessary wiring! Thanks for all that - I'll go for the HCB in that case. Quick question - why recommended professional install? Is it because of the electrical installation that is special or the physical removal and re-fitting of trim work, or a combination of both. I'm an IT engineer by trade and see too many people ripped off paying for IT repairs when they can do it themselves - I like to learn to do things myself if possible and save a few quid.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's cool - I think most people are the same on here, knowledge is the bomb!

perhaps you could provide a 'how-to' with pics for the rest of us wanting to do the same?

good luck with it!

Rob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It's not just Audi stereo's that are fitted with this as standard. Pretty well all new HU's come fitted with a mute facility, it's just a case of stuffing a wire into the unit.

I've ordered the kit for £104 from l8shop.co.uk. and getting it fitted for £50 inc. and no need for additional mute cable. I'm going to bottle the self-installation after reading a site about dodgy installations, where the electronics interfere with the car's electronics if sited or not shielded incorrectly. Phoned another installer and said that it DID require a tele-mute cable! Funny that people have different installation techniques!

i'm sure this thing about the bose is wrong - if you wire the hcb-30 into the speaker output using the mute kit, it will be too loud on a bose unit, because the bose output is only about 1v line output.

however, the audi units have a proper line input for telephone mute, and the hcb-30 connects directly to this with the proper autoleads adapter. the sound level is then at the correct level and the head unit flashes 'phone' when the phone rings, and mutes and routes the audio to the front speakers.

i can take some pictures of the box placement and installation for you - ill post these later on when i have the camera.

Apologies... connecting the HCB-30 into the speaker output will be too loud... not "you won't be able to get the sound through the speakers" as I said earlier.

Not sure how or where the extra cable is installed, but my stereo mutes and comes up with "TELEFON" when I am making or receiving a call.

Thnx for the pics - I've booked it in for fitting tommorow afternoon, but I'm thinking that I could do it myself. Just a few more questions.

1. Do you mean the yellow mute cable goes into the Mute line at the HU, and does this output to the speakers aswell, or do I need seperate cables?
2. Where do I connect the blue ignition sense cable? Friend suggested to a ignition line in at the HU if fitted.
3. Is there an alternative to wiring to the battery?

Thnx again

the mute lead goes to the phone mute connection on the head unit

the speaker outputs go to the phone + and - inputs

the switched, unswitched and earth have to be found somewhere if you have a satnav plus or symphony 1, they can be taken from the head.

symphony 2 is missing the switched 12v and you can take this from the back of the fuse board

the best place for your supply cables is from the relay holder/rack type thing under the steering wheel. there are posts with nuts on you just slide the connectors in and retighten the 6mm nuts. easy.

But the kit doesn't have output leads for the speakers? Is this where these "Autoleads" come into play? I have a Concert stereo - does this have unswitched thingys? Thnx

http://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/63403.phtml will give you the pin connections, cut the speaker off the phone kit and wire up to Multi - pin connector IV, 10 - pin, red connections no`s 3 & 4, mute to no` 1.
1- Telephone muting
2- Terminal 15 (only on vehicles with navigation system)
3- Telephone (audio frequency +)
4- Telephone (audio frequency -)
5- Navigation system (audio frequency +)
6- Navigation system (audio frequency -)
7- Navigation system control wire
9- Display illumination (terminal 58d)
10- CD Ground (CD GND)

the bluetooth kit does have output leads for the speaker that comes with the kit - its not a pair of stereo outputs to your hifi speakers. the supplied speaker goes in the bin, and the speaker leads goto the phone input connectors on the head unit.

if you have a head unit that has a switched 12v supply, you can buy the autoleads adpaters and you just plug and play. you dont have to find any wiring points or cut anything at all.

the autoleads connector PC6-104B says not for bose, but it basically a straight through connector for all 3 connectors on the back of a symphony 1 or concert, with the correct power take off and audio/mute leads for the hcb-30.

the PC6-104B connector is straight through for the power block and tel/mute input, leaving the cd/line connector without an extension and keeping the loom connection straight to the head unit.

with either of these 2, you need to add a 06-215B adapter to link the above kits to the hcb-30 without any cutting or soldering.

if you have a symphony 2 or later type head without switched 12 supply, then either of these adapters will need to be modified slightly to attach a switched 12v supply from the bus bar under the drivers dash

why are people making this so complicated?

Thanks all - I had it fitted and all is working well. The sound only comes out of the passenger side speaker - is this normal? Also, on incoming calls, the music comes on in between rings!

mine seems one sided, but then again thats all you want really.

as for muting, mine seems ok.

Mine's is wired so the sound comes from the driver's side front speaker.

On incoming calls, the stereo comes on between rings also.