Weird Handling Issue

5ean

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi, i have a 2001 S3 and seem to be having a weird issue with handling..

It seems that the back end wants to slip out sometimes but i never actually get to the point where it slides out.. It just feels like its away to give and i back off the power (even at 20-30 mph)

I must stress this isnt happening all the time, and from memory i think happens more when im turning left that right.. I've driven it hard round a roundabout a couple times in both directions late at night to see if it gives but it doesnt.. Then the other day i had a mate in the car and went round a corner at about 20 and had to catch it? I've checked tyre pessures and they are fine, could it be the springs perhaps? I know there's a rubbish tyre on one of the wheels at the back but they are more than legal so dont think it could be them.. Any ideas?

Thanks

Sean

:kissmyrings:

Sounds like the crap tyre, whats the tread on both back tyres?

Does it only do it when cornering? Doesn't feel like the **** end is pulling off in one direction when going straight?

Hi 5ean, jack it up and check for play in your rear ARB drop links. I had a skitish backend a low and high speeds and this came down to excess play in the left ARB drop link. Cost about £15 to replace and 2 bolts to unscrew.

505300.png

Part is number 18: 18 1J0505466B

connecting link
/ PR-1JF,1JU, 1JV (18) 1J0505466C

connecting link / for models with heavy duty suspension
/ PR-1JW

Hang on ...... you went the wrong way round a round-a-bout ....... :w00t:

Tyres are fine on the back.. one of them is a budget tyre but plenty tread and as the problem is intermittent i dont think its the tyre.. If it was the actual shock surely there would be more of a clunk or bang etc? The car pulls fine in a straight line and under power to.

Haha no not the wrong way round a roundabout, just a tight right hand corner.. I must stress im a very careful driver and take exceptional care of my car, hence why im wanting the problem found and sorted asap.

My mate owns a garage so will take it to him next friday and get it up on the ramp and check for play etc.. Thanks for that info Jesters, much appreciated!

Any more comments/suggestions are more than welcome!

is it on all corners ?? could have been something on the road ??

also if you have mixed tyres on the rear that wont help, each axel should be fitted with the same type of tyre i.e both rears the same.

Got this looked at today and it turns out both the rear springs are broken.. Ordered 2 new ones from Audi TPS at £55 each and will get my mate to fit them next friday.. He had a look over the rest of the suspension and said everything looks good so heres hoping the new springs put an end to my handling issues!

Got this looked at today and it turns out both the rear springs are broken.. Ordered 2 new ones from Audi TPS at £55 each and will get my mate to fit them next friday.. He had a look over the rest of the suspension and said everything looks good so heres hoping the new springs put an end to my handling issues!

Yeah Common problem. I took mine for MOT, and both rears were broken. Replaced them with genuine Audi ones, then the next week a front one went, so now got uprated Weitecs all round...

Just sold the Audi rears brand new on eBay for £50, £75 less than I paid for them :sob:

Cheers,

Yeah Common problem. I took mine for MOT, and both rears were broken. Replaced them with genuine Audi ones, then the next week a front one went, so now got uprated Weitecs all round...

Just sold the Audi rears brand new on eBay for £50, £75 less than I paid for them :sob:

Cheers,

I had exactly the same, went for the mot and it failed on an off side rear spring, but i didnt have any handliing issues and never even knew it had broke :think:

At least you have sorted it now though.

Well the rear springs got fitted last Friday and oh my god what a difference! Car feels so much more responsive to steering movements and gives much more confidence when you come to a bend.. Thats been the first major-ish problem i've had with my S3 since January, touch wood it stays that way!

Phew, glad you got it all sorted and are happy with the difference it makes :)