Avus alloy colour

Rikster23

On the facelift path...
Reaction score
My little project for the forthcoming bank holiday is to respray my standard avus alloys.

They are currently in a sorry state and kerbed a few times by my (lovely) other half.

Although I have ordered some wurth paints, was thinking possibly trying different colour.

My car is a silver A3 5dr sport and wanted to know what colours other people had done theirs besides standard and black.

Give me some ideas and I will give it a try :)

My little project for the forthcoming bank holiday is to respray my standard avus alloys.

They are currently in a sorry state and kerbed a few times by my (lovely) other half.

Although I have ordered some wurth paints, was thinking possibly trying different colour.

My car is a silver A3 5dr sport and wanted to know what colours other people had done theirs besides standard and black.

Give me some ideas and I will give it a try :)

I think a metallic grey would look nice on a silver car. Black looks too dark and silver looks too light so a nice grey would be in the middle somewhere.

Agree with Tom, a grey colour would look good, will have a good colour contrast with the Silver..

Have a look at VIP_UAE's pics and threads, he has recently done his and they look spot on!!

I came across Dan Clarkes one as well which is nice. I think I will go and order some grey.

I dont suppose its possible to do the following?

Primer
spray silver x 2 coats
spray grey x 1 coat
then laquer?

Im not an expert when it comes to spraying so its just a question to see if it is possible.

Is the colour you are reffering to on the other alloy as anthracite silver/grey?

peugeot graphite grey (anthracite)

primer (2 coats)

base colour (your choice) 2-3 coats

and lacquer 2 coats (1 being shortly after you've done the last base coat, it will blend with it.

why would you want the silver colour before the grey one?

btw, some I did some time back

primer stage:

wheelpainting8.jpg

painted (pug graphite grey)

wheelpainting16.jpg

wheelpainting20.jpg

1 thing: take your time and the preparation is the most important part of it. MAke sure it is as smooth as possible by sanding with different grades. I normally finish with a 1200 paper and wash it with fairy liquid or similar to make it grease free.Then wipe it clean with cloth dampened with thinner to remove any dust or anything left on it.

Then, you are good to start painting. Again, take your time and don't overspray at one area. Work your hand horizontally making sure you spray a constant 'mist'.

Just take your time tbh.

top tips.

I'm thinking of doing my 16" standard alloys in a grey so I can swap between my new and old wheels if I fancy.

nice work abdus! Got a pic of them on the car?

only pics I have:

P1020943.jpg

lol at this one:

P1020927.jpg

actually, they look all kinds of shades...lol, in more light, they look like this:
P1040824.jpg

Nice one Adbus, you have done a great job there!!

Some great shots.

I will look into this and hope the grey goes well with the silver :)

Will update pics in a few weeks. Already going to clear out the junk in my shed and dust off the horrible oem 15" alloys :(

peugeot graphite grey (anthracite)

primer (2 coats)

base colour (your choice) 2-3 coats

and lacquer 2 coats (1 being shortly after you've done the last base coat, it will blend with it.

why would you want the silver colour before the grey one?

btw, some I did some time back

primer stage:

wheelpainting8.jpg

painted (pug graphite grey)

wheelpainting16.jpg

wheelpainting20.jpg

wow! good job there abdus, look very nice,:respekt:

I refurbed mine over the bank holiday and they look great. I will upload some photos on photobucket tonight :)

Makes a big difference from silver colour. I went grey steel colour in the end rather than graphite grey. However I was tempted to try 2 wheels grey and 2 with graphite grey to see the difference.

Now my neighbour wants his BMW alloys refurbed black by me :)
But they are more intricate than the avus... so havent actually agreed yet :p

Riccckkkkkaaayyyy!!! Get some pics up, then if im happy with the pics, you can come and do mine ;)

Opps heres some pics taken on my blackberry a few months ago.
Will post pics of the difference when I get my car back. A truck decided to not brake and hit onto the petrol side of my car :(

They also scuffed my alloys when their wheel came into contact with my car.

Anyways heres the pics and will take proper pics next week :)

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj159/Rikster23/Alloy/

Looking good mate, well done, what process did you use to do them in the end mate???

Also did you just do the face or the back as well??

Hey thanks.

I did the whole wheel inside as well. But probably not that much paint compared to the fronts. Although I sprayed 1 extra coat on laquer on each inside and coated the alloys after in some collynite :)

Process was same as everyone elses.

Prep was to give it a vigerous clean inside and out, rinse and then wiped down with alcohol.

Then started on sanding down the kerb and blisters left from the previous owner.

After that I applied the metal filler and learnt from each alloy I did, basically instead of going thick blob of metal filler I took turns to apply layers untill I got it right and then heated it with hairdryer and natural sunlight.

Once I got all the kerbing and blisters out and felt it was perfect I rinsed down the alloys again and let it to dry, 15 mins later I wiped it down and started applying masking tape all around the edges.

2 layers of primer later and 1/2 day dry time I applied 1st layer of paint and let it set over night.

Next day I sanded down a little with 1500 grit and applied another 2 coats of paint and dried.

3rd day checked for surface and then applied the lacquer. In the evening I applied collynite on inside and outside of the alloys and buffed it down.

Pretty happy with the finish and now have friends all over asking me to do their alloys, so I dont mind doing it as long as they pay for materials and treat me to dinner or something :)

Im doing some Matt black alloys next weekend so will post some pics up. However the TT alloys are KERBED really badly!!!!

Good stuff, so how long did it take to do the job in total??

Also have you got some more pics of the wheels, on the car as well if you can...

Nice one mate, and well done :)

Thanks.

It took around maybe 1hr each wheel if you break it down, but including drying time etc maybe 2 days for all the wheels.

It was a trial method for me and of course wanting everything to be perfect.

I have gotten my car back from the coachworks and you know what?

I have to detail my whole car from top to bottom. There is overspray ALL OVER MY CAR!

When I feel my cars paint, it feels like its got humps and they've sprayed into the arches and onto my seats and wiped it down making a horrible stain!

My rear and side windows are full of paint specs and cant remove with my fingernail which is very annoying.

Ive tried claying but its dried onto my paint so I have to get my G220 out on the weekend and remove the bonded crap.

My car was detailed 2 weeks before it was crushed by a stupid lorry and although we settled it via them paying me £600 to get the rear quarter beaten out and resprayed this was not what I was expecting!!

Now have to find the time and weather to allow a few hours of detailing, claying, polishing and then topping up again with wax.

To top it off.... They washed the car and theres slight swirls all over my car (LOL)