Intake manifolds.

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Browsing through ebay early and came across this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-1-8-20v-...9|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:2|294:50
I know the colours awful but im sure i once read somewhere on here that the inlet manifold is restrictive (can someone confirm), but would that be anygood?
Also did a bit of back reading through past post and something came up regarding dahlback, had alook on the web and found this also, half way down:
http://www.dahlbackracing.se/english/main.asp
Seems agood price too.

I'm not sure that'll fit your S3, the entrance to the intake manifold is on the left which is for 1.8Ts with only one SMIC, the S3 has two SMICs so the entrance to the intake manifold is on the otherside....

S3
190483-Engine.JPG

Golf (with one SMIC)
0304_01z+2001_volkswagen_golf_gti+engine_view.jpg

Im guessing you guys are talking about the ebay item, what do you think to the dahlback?

No cheif. But i am keeping the s3 for some time so eventualy i aim tobe. Im guessing your asking due to the description of the dahlback manifold.

APR do an aftermarket inlet i think.. but you need uprated conrods to run it, apperently makes a hell of a difference.. awesomegti.co.uk supply them but im sure you can look around for different prices and alternatives..

How much would the conrods set me back? Think ive seen the apr kit but was quite dear if i remember.

I have the Dahlbäck intake. No gains except (theoretically) better airflow. I haven't measured intake temp but the intake is definately cooler than OEM. I think it will be better when fitting an FMIC (maybe). Even better gains expected if you're going BT. Looks cool tho...cheap too :happy:

So you wouldnt say you've noticed a difference then!
How easy was it to fit?
You got any pics?

I think it will be a waste of your cash dani, your head is an APY which is a small port so it will just be bonnet bling, but its your money.

Think i read about that somewhere on here but can you explain why etc! Thanks

For the inlet manifold to be the major restriction, you would need to be using a large port head. These are fitted on AEB and AGU motors for sure and possibly others.

To main any significant gains you would need to change the head as well.

The money would be better spent elsewhere IMO. Either a FMIC or dowpipe would be where I'd go.

I can't see why an inlet manifold would need a rod change????

Gavin

So it is possible to change the head then, or are we talking ££££.
Definately going tobe getting a fmic soon but just dont know what to get, cant justify forge prices

So you wouldnt say you've noticed a difference then!
How easy was it to fit?
You got any pics?

Very easy to fit, as I said: it looks cool but I think you'll need a BT kit, FMIC, upgraded hoses etc. to notice any gains. I think fuel economy is slightly better now and intake temp. has definately dropped. I also installed a Phenolic thermal gasket at the same time and that helped bring down temp. drastically as well. So some gains, yeah for sure. A lot of cheap horses...NO!
OEM vs. Dahlbäck:
Picture079.jpg

Installed:
Picture084.jpg

looks nice... get a front mount.. would love to see if this combo makes a difference. dennis what boost are you running?

looks nice... get a front mount.. would love to see if this combo makes a difference. dennis what boost are you running?

Cheers...FMIC is under construction as we speak. Will be on the car in the next few weeks I hope. I'm running 1.4 in 1st and 2nd gear (peaks at 1.5) and in 3-6th gear it's 1.5 bar with peaks up til 1.6...

Can you hold those boost figures through the rev range with the standard set up? or does it peak and drop?

my big 007 intake manifold, with R32 throttle body
100_0410.jpg

100_0413.jpg

Will this work with my apy engine then without having to change the head etc?

at what power levels do you need to start thinking about changing the Intake Manifold on a 1.8T (225) engine?

sorry to revive an old thread but does anyone know where can i get a 007 largeport intake manifold for my s3?

Either speak to bill (badger 5 on here) or go other to SCN.net and have a look at INA enginerring.

sorry to revive an old thread but does anyone know where can i get a 007 largeport intake manifold for my s3?

007 is not available these days
current one is SEM as good replacement, ~$825 and choice of port size and throttle size (throttle is +$$)

Andrew you still making your own exhaust mani?

When i get time and the money

I have a friend that will tig it up for me but he's very slow at getting things done so looking for another good tig welder