Gearbox removal

smo

TDi Power
Reaction score
How do you do this on a TDi, ive removed everything i need to, its all unbolted and i can get it off the splines however it doesnt come out, it gets jammed between the output flange on the flywheel and the casing on the subframe.

I've spent 2 hours with a mate levering, jacking, lowering, hoiking and abusing the gearbox buit it simply doesnt fit out the hole - please help!

If its fwd, I usually rotate them anti-clockwise to get the driverside flange to the top.

Then with the engine pretty much as low in the bay as it will go, pivot the box up towards 2-3 o'clock when looking in from the arch.

Un-hook the flange off the back of the engine and it comes out then. They are tight mind.

A lot of folk in the States remove the driver-side flange and I can see that it would make the job dead easy. You then have to contend with the oil spills and re-fitting the flange.

Gavin

Managed to get it out this evening, however with that much grief (and resultant damage to other componants) i dont wish to put the replacement in!!