Chris NottEM Tuning

Thread: DEFCON BUSHES

Neutral

Status

DEFCON BUSHES

I have read on the tt forum that the fitment of the defcon bushes significantly improves the turn in and feel of the steering on the tt. Are the tt and the s3 the same as far as the suspension is concerned? If so has anybody fitted these to an S3. My fron wishbone bushes are tired and I am looking into improments.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    apparently powerflex are pretty well respected... havent heard of defcon, but they may be just as good!

All-in-all a pretty unhelpful post on my account....

my bad

Audi A3 1.8T | Ming Blue | Tan Leather | Aero Wipers | Neeeeed $$$$$$$

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Not sure on the brand, but i have just put non voided TT bushes in our A3 TQS and turn in is deffo better, and high speed stability is also improved. So if just going to new bushes makes that much difference then i can only imagine how much diff the S3 to defcon would make

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Aren't defcon bushes the aluminium adaptors that allow you to fit smaller bushes thus giving a stiffer bush overall? Heard they are a bugger to fit

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

1st Gear

Status
    Hi 8pot,

i am looking to replace my front wishbone bushes too, i'd heard about the DEFCON mod for the TT, but don't know if they would fit the S3. I was looking at Powerflex bushes, but haven't made my mind up yet

Neutral

Status
    Thankyou for the replies.

They are the aluminium inserts. Apparently it makes the wishbones act like the very early (dodgy oversteery ones) TT,s but they do make turn in alot sharper. I have heard mixed stories about poly bushes. What is the latest view. The defcons apparently cost around 400 fitted, but I have been quoted 280 for poly ones. If they will fit I think I will give them a go. I just wasn't sure if the TT and the S3 were the same underneath.

Mike

thats me

Status
    they are basically the same just the S3 is a slightly longer wheel base
    red to red black to black blue to bits

Neutral

Status
    Are the wishbones the same then? It just seemed odd that APS quote them for the TT and R32 but do not mention the S3. I did not know about the wheelbase being different....learn something every day!!

6th Gear

Status
    im sure maz has defcon bushes on his s3
    2000 AMK S3, Revo'd, forge 007p, B8's, H&R's, tarox g88's, ferrodo ds2500's, and in the fastest colour

Maz
    Moon is made of green cheese

Status
    I sure do Rav.

I had these fitted the same time the rest of my suspension upgrades including shocks springs, tie bars, arbs etc... the combined improvement was far too great to single out the Defcons but what I can say is the car felt much better to drive, cornering is flatter and the steering feel was greatly improved.

I got mine fitted at APS as part of a deal for the Defcons and R32 Arb kit.

Mineral Grey [
    AMK
    ]

Neutral

Status
    Thank you Maz. I think I will go for these. My suspension has been done including anti roll bars so hopefully I will be able to tell the difference.

1st Gear

Status
    hi,

does anyone know if the wishbones need to be changed when doing the bushes? i went to see a VAG independant near me today to see what they are like as i need my bushes doing, and the chap there said without even looking at the bushes "oh, you want to do the wishbones aswell as you can't properly put the bushes back in" . That sounds a bit strange to me ?

Youre Dethpicable!!

Status
    Does anyone have a link or pic of this unit?
    2002 S3 BAM | Jabba Re-Map | Uprated Haldex | Koni adjustable coilovers | Neuspeed ARBs | Powerflex Bushes | ECS tie-bars | Dog bone | Eibach spacers | TTDA | T'Dynamics DV | Dieselgeek short shift | Toyos | MIJ Custom Exhaust | Sound system | Security Tints |

Audi S3-BAM

snowed under

Status
    What the Defon link?

2nd Gear

Status
    My old car.. Still miss the lil rocket :-)

Remapped Stage II - Forge FMIC - Dahlb�ck Intake - K&N - DieselGeek ShortShift - Phenolic - Powerflex Dogbone - Rial Daytona Race 8.5x18" ET30 - Forge Tiebars - Bilstein B8 - H&R 25mm - R32 rear ARB - H&R 20mm Spacers - EBC Discs - Red Stuff pads

Neutral

Status
    I am having them fitted next week together with the dogbone thing. Will report on them next week.