How long to bed in new front discs and pads?

S3-Oski

Reaction score
Hi all, i have just had some black diamond grooved discs fitted alongside some Fedro ds2500 pads,

I have done about 130 miles all ready taking it easy,

Today i needed to brake very hard as i was doing about 60mph to find a police car coming towards me with their flashing lights on on my side of the road as they had overtaken a car, and to be honest found them a bit scary, just felt hard, did not seem sharp, definately not the same feel as my old pads,

Has any1 had any experince with this? my freind said about 200 miles as i have new disc& pads so both nice new surfaces, unlike fitting new pads to old discs? which need more, not to sure how accurate this is, or if its different for my pads,

I have had my brake fluid checked all ok, and have had a brake fluid renewal in november at my service,

Sorry for long post cheers Oski:icon_thumright:

You have to bed them in by going out on a empty road at around 4 in the morning, get the car up to around 60mph then put the brakes on about 60% of the pressure you would use in an emergence stop, with the brakes applied let your speed get down to around 10mph then speed back up to 60mph. Keep doing this until your brakes are VERY hot so you can smell the pads, then go on a drive for around 45mins without using the brakes and let them cool completely, they will then be bedded in. The brake pads are not the same as standard pads and have to be bedded in differently, you should of had instructions in the pad box. hope this helps.

You have to bed them in by going out on a empty road at around 4 in the morning, get the car up to around 60mph then put the brakes on about 60% of the pressure you would use in an emergence stop, with the brakes applied let your speed get down to around 10mph then speed back up to 60mph. Keep doing this until your brakes are VERY hot so you can smell the pads, then go on a drive for around 45mins without using the brakes and let them cool completely, they will then be bedded in. The brake pads are not the same as standard pads and have to be bedded in differently, you should of had instructions in the pad box. hope this helps.

Hi mate thanks will check my box still in the garage,i was totally unaware of this,
is this 100% necessary? And will i have done any harm to by discs pads have allready driven 130 miles and stopping fairly hard today? cheers Oski

No the discs and pads will be fine, but after putting them through a heat cycle they will work REALLY well, just make sure you do it when it's really quiet. Dual carrigeway in the early hours on a school night.

Agree - that's how i bed mine in. Start with lighter applications and work up to harder braking (always without coming to a standstill) until you can smell them and they've almost faded to nothing.

15 mins on the motorway and get home with limited application of brakes (you won't have much anyway!).

They'll be working fine in the morning.

Hey Oski,

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but I'm thinking of going down the same upgrade route instead of getting a big brake kit. Once you sort the bedding-in part, could you let us know the results? How good/bad is this combination compared to standard brakes?

I'm getting desperate with my brakes now, so looking for alternatives.

Cheers

I must admit I was skeptical about the 'hard bedding in' method, and took it easy for about a hundred miles or so on my DS2500's. tehy were truly shocking though, so I decided to go along with the advice, and went out to the motorway late one night and gave then some abuse, the difference was incredible.

You literally need to get smoke pouring off the front wheels in order to bed them in fully, it's a pretty scary procedure, but so worth while.

If you look on the box it talks about bedding them in on a track, and returning to the pits for inspection! You know you're onto a decent pad when they don't mention road use at all!

Hey Oski,

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but I'm thinking of going down the same upgrade route instead of getting a big brake kit. Once you sort the bedding-in part, could you let us know the results? How good/bad is this combination compared to standard brakes?

I'm getting desperate with my brakes now, so looking for alternatives.

Cheers

No problem mate,will do,:thumbsup:

Hi Prawn i went out last night, done about 6 stops from 65mph to 10mph under heavy breaking not super heavy though, im not to sure if that was enough though, then i done about 25 miles no breaking and then another 15 to get home hardly touching my brakes, so i have not tried them today to see if they are different,

By the sounds of it i dont think i gave them enough to get them hot? How do you know they are smoking? or can you smell them from inside the car? sorry for the questions just want to make sure i get them performing 100% how they should, tbh i was a little scared that i was going to warp my discs or something lol, cheers Oski

Yeah my instructions "bedding in instructions"

To achieve optimum perfromance from ferodo racing brake pads,
1)"Perform 25 to 30 trial brake applications, each of approximately 4 seconds, using around 50% of normal race pedal pressure, To shorten the procedure applications can be made along the straights as well as at the bends."

2)"On completion of trial applications return to the pit lane, Inspect the surface of the brake pads from the two wheels which have been working the hardest. There should be evidence of contact over the full pad area without glazing. The pads are now ready to race." lol

so maybe i have not done enough,

If the discs are blued, the whole wheel assembly stinking and/or smoking and covered in dust and the wheels far too hot to touch, they are probably bedded in OK.

If the discs are blued, the whole wheel assembly stinking and/or smoking and covered in dust and the wheels far too hot to touch, they are probably bedded in OK.

Thanks Ess Three, so if i go out in and check them and,,, they are still not right will it be ok to repeat the process again tonight without causing any harm?

My main concern was i did not want to ruin anything but i understand they are totaly different to oem pads, cheers Oski

Just follow what i said in the first post, but do it so many times that the brake disc's and pads get REALLY hot, you should get to a point were you will not have any brakes they will have faded completely, at the point you should be able to smell the pads.:thumbsup: then drive without using them until completely cool, then the will work really well.

Just follow what i said in the first post, but do it so many times that the brake disc's and pads get REALLY hot, you should get to a point were you will not have any brakes they will have faded completely, at the point you should be able to smell the pads.:thumbsup: then drive without using them until completely cool, then the will work really well.

Ah i see untill they fade,i done it last night but sort of done like 6 hard stops in a row and thought it would be enough, but now will try untill they fade i think i will go back at again tonight to try again this time doing it more time from 60 to 10 using a hard brake but not full foot down hard cheers mate