Difference between a Audi A3 1.6 and A3 1.6 Sport V

Whitey86

Reaction score
Hi There,

I am currently looking at getting an audi a3, around 2/2.5k and i was wondering if anyone could list the differences between a 1.6 and a 1.6 sport in terms of spec and features etc as i can see to find these details anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Also Would everyone recommend the a3, is there any inherent problems that i may face or that i should look out for with a 99T or 00' W. with around 80k

Thanks
smile.gif

Hi mate,

As far as I'm aware its just the suspension, which is the same as that on a 1.8t on the sport version. And the interior is the same as the 1.8t (sport steering wheel, seats etc.) Alloys are obviously different too, other than that there's nothing different with the engine as far as I know.

If you can afford the insurance then go for the turbo mate. I have a 1.6sport and the only reason I didn't get the turbo was the insurance. Just didn't make sense to pay half the car value a year for it!:keule:

Check the car is running up to temp and has a steady idle, ask about the cambelt and water pump being changed. All the usual service history logs etc. My gearbox went a few months after I bought mine, but that was just me being unlucky! You should be able to pick up a tidy example for that much anyway. Good luck mate

I wouldnt be able to go beyond 1.6 for insurance reasons too. Struggling to find many 1.6 sports though quite frustrating. Thanks for your advice much appreciated.

If you have access to a car now then just hold out until you find a decent sport. Be prepared to go and travel a bit to have a look at some good examples etc. The SE models from the interior are just:scared2: in my opinion. Can be frustrating, just be patient though.

If you have access to a car now then just hold out until you find a decent sport. Be prepared to go and travel a bit to have a look at some good examples etc. The SE models from the interior are just:scared2: in my opinion. Can be frustrating, just be patient though.

I had a 1.6SE and i loved the interior.....Suede seats, 6 disk changer, digital climate control, spare alloy (the same as the alloys on the car already) and the good sound system. Alot more comfortable then the bog standard 1.6 :)
Go for the SE or S and be patient like bhavin said. Well worth the wait.
Good luck.:)

Thanks guys, if you see anything about let me know as i think 1.6 sport generally seem to be a lot rarer with around 80k compared with the 1.8t which seem to be a lot more common on autotrader.

This one looks ok. Dunno how close it is to you though. This one's a nice example although its quite pricey. Just hold out. look on ebay too! I found this one on ebay, seems a nice example, although again, dunno how close it is to you. I was looking almost daily when I was after mine. Good luck with it

I spent 6-8 months looking for the perfect S3. :(
But was well worth it and my price range went up wast i was looking so instead of spending 6.5k-7k as origanly planned, by the time i had found a perfect one it was 11k but managed to do a great bit of haggling :) :) Was almost to good to be true but 6 months on and no proplems :yes:

I spent 6-8 months looking for the perfect S3. :(
But was well worth it and my price range went up wast i was looking so instead of spending 6.5k-7k as origanly planned, by the time i had found a perfect one it was 11k but managed to do a great bit of haggling :) :) Was almost to good to be true but 6 months on and no proplems :yes:

How old are you to afford 11k and the insurance would be crazy for me!

Closest I will get to an S3 for a few years (im 22) is when my dad bought my mum a new S3, remember thinking it was the best car my mum had had and how i would want one when i was a older, I remember I shed a tear when my dad sold it when he and my mum split, it was black with black leather and blue suede recaro seats and loads of extras, such a nice car then this nightclub owner turned up 28k in cash in a hold-all to buy it, who does that!!

My Dad had a beasty A6 after he had his A8 he got an Black A6 4.2 Quattro. I use to call it the stealth bomber cause it was rather decieving :undwech:, big flared arches though. :racer:

Really into my cars, I am currently selling my first car a 106 quiksilver which ive had for 2 years but come the 26th June I should have 2 years (touchwood) so its time for a change... dont really want to advertise on autotrader though as the adverts for cars over a grand seem to be quite pricey! My identical twin brother has a 1.6 SE 1999 Golf so the 1.6 Sport quite similar, completely different build quality from a 106 to an audi which is the comfort I want.

Would the insurance between a 1.9TDI be a lot higher than the 1.6 Sport? Does the 1.6 Sport feel sluggish at 10.9s as obviously ive been use to a light car that feels really light like a go cart lol

Cheers

Im only 18 which some people hate and some think fair enough. I worked my *** of for months to buy it and now i have one it was worth working every minite so i dont really care what anyone else has to say. My 1.6 A3 was only a 1.6 so the insureance wasnt to high but yes youre right about the TDI's. There not much more to insure....Like £50 in it i think. I found the car for 11k but managed to haggle to 9.2k :)

Nice!.

Im not sure how often the classifieds are updated here, but im looking for a 1999/2000 A3 1.6 sport in black (picky i know), with about 80k odd on the clock for about 2.3k if anyone knows of anyone selling!

Cheers!

Try all the usuall sites like Ebay, Pistonheads, Autotrader etc....You should get quite a tidy one for that money. Make sure everything works and dont settle for second best!

I'm 23, insurance is £600 a year fully comp with 2 years no claims. You will be supprised how little it can be to insture a S3 if you shop around!

I'm 23, insurance is £600 a year fully comp with 2 years no claims. You will be supprised how little it can be to insture a S3 if you shop around!

Really? Im 23 and I'm paying £1100 with 2 years no claims! Plus you have mtm power! Think I'll have to do some more research next time:crying:

Really? Im 23 and I'm paying £1100 with 2 years no claims! Plus you have mtm power! Think I'll have to do some more research next time:crying:

Lol, its such a scam (insureance for younger drivers). O well my day will come when im paying £300 for a year :) :)

Other car sold now.. not ready to move to an a3.. Help! 2.1 max to spend now (reworked figures)

I have the 1.9TDI 130 Sport its Insurance Group:13 but thats probably because its the 6 speed 130, I know theres quite a bit of differnece insurance wise as the 1.6 is only group:7. I know im Paying £2300 A year full comp im 18 with 2 years no claims. Churchill took on my ! years provisonal no claims. Everywhere else was quoteing me £5000+ Hodge how much insurance do you pay Yearly for your S3 they are Group:17 arnt they?

i'm looking to buy a S3 over the next few months and i've been quoted 920 from direct line, i'm 21 with 1 years no claims.

I have the 1.9TDI 130 Sport its Insurance Group:13 but thats probably because its the 6 speed 130, I know theres quite a bit of differnece insurance wise as the 1.6 is only group:7. I know im Paying £2300 A year full comp im 18 with 2 years no claims. Churchill took on my ! years provisonal no claims. Everywhere else was quoteing me £5000+ Hodge how much insurance do you pay Yearly for your S3 they are Group:17 arnt they?

Group 18 i think, Its a 2003 BAM S3 value around £8-9k and payed out £2750 :( They saw me coming :( But it is very worth it! :)