Volks AutosBadger5
    Oil running through my veins.

Status

What are the benefits of Drive by wire?

Also, structurally, is there a difference between the BAM engine and the AMK engine? pistons, block, pins etc.. am i right in thinking the injectors and heads are very simular?

The main difference is Electronic i believe but would the AMK engine stunt you from being able to get serious power?

Also can you convert DBW to cable? would you want to etc?

Thanks in advance
    Totally addicted to boost.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    DBW is supposed to be more economical, more responsive and less maintenance...generally a better system to use...as for the BAM vs AMK, seem to hear different rumours so don't really know...
    Last edited by Essflee; 1st May 2009 at 18:02.
    revo'd

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Are you sure you mean AMK? Mines AMK and it DBW... only real difference between BAM and AMK is the AMK is mapped for 210bhp... there are plenty of threads here wobbling on about BAM this and AMK that etc....

Heres a post you might find useful

http://audi-sport.net/vb/showpost.ph...4&postcount=15

also this one
    http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=70895

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by leggy View Post
    DBW is supposed to be more economical, more responsive and less maintenance...generally a better system to use...
    No way is it more responsive than a cable connected direct from the throttle pedal to the throttle butterfly with instant response.Dont see how it can be more economical but stranger things have happened.Less maintenance,how much maintenance is on a throttle cable?
    If it was a better system to use why do people buy sprint boosters?

http://www.sprint-booster.co.uk/what...nt_booster.asp
    Last edited by james0808; 1st May 2009 at 19:35.

6th Gear

Status
    Because the pedal is controlled by the engine management system through electrics and sensors as appose to cable the bet use is made for the amount of air comming in which gives better response and economy... I agree people use the sprint booster which helps response, this is what I was led to believe though...
    revo'd

2nd Gear

Status
    Regarding DBW...I believe I have it on my AMK and I suspect it to cause this: coming off the gas when I change gears it keeps the engine revved. It takes forever (well not forever, but it's around 0.5-1 second) for the rev's to drop and it happens soooos slow. That really irritates me. Sounds as if I'm not lifting the foot from the gas pedal fast enough...like and old man When I blast it it's not a problem because the gearchange is faster and sound / speed are higher...

But driving normally it does take at bit for the rev's to drop...sometimes it even raises the rev's a couple of hundred RPM's before dropping. Not excactly what I want from a car. You have the same issue?

The sprint booster is not for me, I think, I don't want the ON/OFF gass pedal effect and are quite happy how I can control when I want boost.
    My old car.. Still miss the lil rocket :-)

Remapped Stage II - Forge FMIC - Dahlb�ck Intake - K&N - DieselGeek ShortShift - Phenolic - Powerflex Dogbone - Rial Daytona Race 8.5x18" ET30 - Forge Tiebars - Bilstein B8 - H&R 25mm - R32 rear ARB - H&R 20mm Spacers - EBC Discs - Red Stuff pads

Neutral

Status
    lol sprint booster, another resistor in a black box, like all the maf and other +20bhp adverts on ebay. you cant make an electrical signal quicker than it is especially when an ecu is involved.

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Whats the APY engine run?
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani_B19 View Post
    Whats the APY engine run?
    ALL 8L S3's are DBW, mine has to be one of the earliest S3's about, APY engine code on a T-plate with no ESP or traction control, and it's DBW.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dstructiv View Post
    lol sprint booster, another resistor in a black box, like all the maf and other +20bhp adverts on ebay. you cant make an electrical signal quicker than it is especially when an ecu is involved.
    Nothing like the +20 bhp ebay crap and neither does it make the electrical signal quicker,what it does as far as i can tell is alter the signal so the ecu thats involved opens the throttle plate faster and further than normal.Simples.