Metallic noise when hitting potholes

benk

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've got a 1.8T with the standard "sports" suspension. 71k miles.
Problem is: over small potholes, I often get a short, sharp scraping noise, which I am guessing is coming from suspension. Over smooth speed bumps, I just hear a nice "psshh-psssh" noise from the suspension like I would expect, but on the sudden holes, for example over sunken drain covers, etc, where there might be a sharp drop of a couple of inches, I get this scrape sound.

Anyone else had this? It's not like the creaking/groaning noise from old bushes - I had the bushes on the front anti-roll bar done at last service and that sound is very different anyway.

It sounds kind of like nails on a blackboard, but it only lasts a fraction of a second, as the wheels drop into the hole.

Thanks,
B

Could be a bunch of things. The first that comes to mind is a rattling or slightly loose exhaust heat sheild. Or possibly a loose fitment in the engine bay.

Try to recreat the sound buy quickly bouncing the suspension but pushing down on the wing.

Or tapping around the heat sheild under the car.

it maybe the draglinks that connect the end of the anti-roll bar to the the lower arm or the lower ball joint starting to go, get a free check done at a local garage

I agree with HTC. I'd look into that before I begin to dissect the suspension, but the suspension should not be neglected. Besides, if you have been hitting all these potholes, your suspension has been taking a beating.

Stop Driving Over Potholes!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ImolaS4 said:
I agree with HTC. I'd look into that before I begin to dissect the suspension, but the suspension should not be neglected. Besides, if you have been hitting all these potholes, your suspension has been taking a beating.

Stop Driving Over Potholes!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Easier said than done on our roads /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Kev.

Stop driving over potholes? Tricky when they're mainly on the roads around where I live - avoiding them means a head-on crash with oncoming traffic, so I think I'll stick with the occasional pothole.

I'll try leaning on the wings but I'm pretty sure that won't duplicate the problem. I don't think it's the heat shield but will give it a waggle and see if it's loose.

As you say, it could be something in the engine bay that's scraping on it's mounts. I did have a new battery at last service so will check that's still screwed in place.

I think I get the sound from front and back hitting a hole, so this means it's more likely to be something unrelated to suspension, because for both wheels to cause the sound, either something on the front AND back suspension/arb setup is bad, or it's something like the heatshield that's getting a shake.

Time to have a lie down and a peer up.
Thanks,
B