spark plugs....???????.....

smudgy57

Reaction score
does anyone know what spark plugs come in an s3? are good ones? is it an idea to replace them with better ones? and what ones? will it effect my 3 year warranty? (sorry alot of questions there lol) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

they don't use spark plugs they use coil packs

The coil packs sit on top of the spark plugs mate.

The coil packs replace the old dissy and leads.

With reference to what spark plugs Audi use.........they are NGK's. I was looking into getting some BOSCH super 4's but they do not seem to make them for the S3/TT, so going to replace them with new OE NGK Audi ones.

They make super 4's for the A3 turbo. Strange why they wouldn't do 'em for the S3.

Anyways, I've never seen the point in super 4's. You can only spark to one electrode at a time.

Denso Iridium IK20 (or 22's for chipped folks/S3 people) work well. I use the IK22's on my TQ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But they're a bit pricier than std /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

I get mine from Neuspeed in the States (Here) But I'm sure there's a UK distributor for those interested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I found super 4's great on previous cars. Noticed an increase in engine response/pickup and fuel economy increase too compared to standard plugs.

The S3 plugs have a weird sharp point to the tip.........not seen a plug like that before as they usually have a flat cap to the tips.

Will look into those plugs Drill......cheers!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

The narrower point supposedly generates a stronger spark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif More concentrated or something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif And the stronger spark helps ensure more fuel is burnt, making everything more efficient and stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Wealth of knowledge

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

the original platinum NGK are the ones.

Interestingly spark-plugs.co.uk have then for a £10 each but vagparts want £32 each!! Is this a mistake?

I am sure mine need changing fuel econ down & sometimes fails to fire up on ignition.. Chipped cars should have them replaced every 20k.

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Mike said:
The coil packs sit on top of the spark plugs mate.

The coil packs replace the old dissy and leads.

With reference to what spark plugs Audi use.........they are NGK's. I was looking into getting some BOSCH super 4's but they do not seem to make them for the S3/TT, so going to replace them with new OE NGK Audi ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh! what a tw4t, thanks for putting me right

No problem James M /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I wonder what Audi charge for a set of the OE NGK's?

I have been finding my Audi dealer quite reasonable recently

Generally items that can be bought elswhere aren't to expensive....brake pads/discs for example.

Stuff you can only get from Audi is usually expensive.

also check sapmotorparts.co.uk for check oem parts - discs and pads are really cheap. Manufactured by hazel quiton..

thanks lads there is a whole load of info there to chew over!! now secondly how easy/hard is it to fit them? any diagrams would be even better. funny enough it was one of my coils that went about a month ago on the m25. pulled over on hard shoulder and within 45 mins audi engineer pulled up and just changed all four. it was to busy to get the laptop out and start doing a diagnostic test. must admit i was very impressed with the service coz my car is still under warranty(just) i did not pay a penny or even sign anything. when it comes to service audi do come up on top for that!! not like bmw, merc, etc. now after all that coz coils are still quite new is it worth changing them after all???? stupid me did'nt relize that coils were the equivelent to spark plugs DOH!! any way cheers lads

[ QUOTE ]
rallydaz said:
thanks lads there is a whole load of info there to chew over!! now secondly how easy/hard is it to fit them? any diagrams would be even better. funny enough it was one of my coils that went about a month ago on the m25. pulled over on hard shoulder and within 45 mins audi engineer pulled up and just changed all four. it was to busy to get the laptop out and start doing a diagnostic test. must admit i was very impressed with the service coz my car is still under warranty(just) i did not pay a penny or even sign anything. when it comes to service audi do come up on top for that!! not like bmw, merc, etc. now after all that coz coils are still quite new is it worth changing them after all???? stupid me did'nt relize that coils were the equivelent to spark plugs DOH!! any way cheers lads

[/ QUOTE ]

coil pack are not the equivelent of spark plugs they replace dizzys and plug leads
multi tip plugs are for hi compression n/a engines
1.8t's and S3's need platium plugs for a stronger spark

Try german/french and swedish or GSF for plugs as they do original fit bosch plugs very cheap but you may need to ask for TT 225 bhp plugs as S3 plugs may not be listed on there data base of parts,dealer fitted them for me at 40000 service and sourcing your own parts saves a [censored] load of cash when dealing with audi stealers.

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
Denso Iridium IK20 (or 22's for chipped folks/S3 people) work well. I use the IK22's on my TQ

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here...
IK22s are a heat range cooler and more suitable for running 1.8+ bar boost on a VERY hot engine!
They work well...but to be honest, no better than standard.

I guess it's good insurance though, running a cooler heat range plug.

Which are the better plugs to go for on the S3..

The Iridium or the platinum.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I've been told to go for the NGK Iridium plugs rather then the Denso Iridium ones, by my local supplier.. Says they last alot longer and more reliable..

Mine car has done 31,000 miles now.. Think i should change them..

The NGKs will be fine.

The Denso Iridium IK22s are great for highly stressed, very hot engines running lots of boost. That's the only reason I've got them in.

Sorry to interrupt..

They are supposed to last 80,000 miles.. Well so they say..