FMIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
na we need to know a benefit of a group buy first otherwise you may aswell buy at your leisure

Not sure there will be any movement on the price Tim tbh... 250 notes is a good price, I will ask him again but I got the impression that 250 was the one...

As stated before, 250 + vat but a '15%' discount can be applied ;P

<tuffty/>

Certianly does, I have all the pics on my camera but not had a chance to do anything with them yet.

I am off to get my car ready for the morning but will try and get some up Sunday

<tuffty/>

yup yup i follow tufty ;) ..... good s**t if you ask me - only thing standing in my way now is the double glazing i purchased last night ;D

Back from the show and saw this on Tuftys car, very impressed mate. Thanks for all the info, be great to see your installation pics. Sounded fairly straightforward from what you were saying to fit and quicker than I thought!!!!! Definately going to do this when funds allow. Still can't believe the intake temp drop you were getting with it now fitted.

Wow that's amassive drop.
Well i touched the cold side upper boost pipe today and was very hot, couldnt believe it. Cant wait to get one of these now.

Well i touched the cold side upper boost pipe today and was very hot, couldnt believe it.
Daniel I think what you do in the privacy of your home is not for public consumption :eyebrows:

Wow that's amassive drop.
Well i touched the cold side upper boost pipe today and was very hot, couldn't believe it. Cant wait to get one of these now.

It won't stop that getting hot, an S3 engine bay gets very very hot but the FMIC does make a big difference to the AIT's.

I am thinking of getting a phenolic gasket for the inlet mani as this can also help a bit although the shear heat that the S3 is capable of trapping under the bonnet means that heat soak will get to it eventually.

Every little helps ;P

<tuffty/>

Jason your pure filth haha.

Paul whats a phenolic gasket? And where do you buy them from?

Essentially a gasket that prevents heat transfer from the block to the inlet manifold thus preventing it from adding heat to the charge air.

Badger Bill sells them, dunno how much though

<tuffty/>

Are they actualy proven to help lower temps or just a gimmick like most things?

Bill has one on his Ibiza race car that makes around 600bhp... My experience with dealing with Bill leads me to believe that if it didn't work it wouldn't be on his car.

If it lowers the temps even by a few degrees then its good enough for me... there are various a few electronics attached to the inlet mani too and the less heat they get the better in my book.

While it may not remap different in terms of power, every little helps when it comes to prolonged power delivery and long term reliability...

... and I do it because I can :)

<tuffty/>

Think i may have to give bill a call then, like you say paul every little helps, isnt always about how much power you can make but how long you can make it last for and also prolong engine life.

one more question then ill be quite, will this what your doing be the same for my quattro a3. like could i buy the exact same fmic from ah fabrications and buy the same pipe and fittings as your using, or would i have different pipe arrangements.

Wow,

just read the whole thread from start to finish in one sitting (albeit with a quick ciggy break in the middle) - it got a little tetchy / sticky in the middle, but what an outcome - tuffty that install looks absolutely mint, well done, I'm sure you're more than happy with the end result!!

As above, does anyone know what would be involved in getting this on a 03 TQS - looks like a call to Alex tomorrow (as I assume he doesn't work on a Sunday)

one more question then ill be quite, will this what your doing be the same for my quattro a3. like could i buy the exact same fmic from ah fabrications and buy the same pipe and fittings as your using, or would i have different pipe arrangements.

The FMIC should fit ok but....

The A3 front bumper is a different shape at the bottom to the S3, the piping is also different. The throttle body is on the opposite side to the S3 so you would have to take the pipework a slightly different route. Also, the MAP sensor is in the SMIC on the A3, the S3 has a tube running by the battery for its MAP sensor so you will need to relocate that too.

I cannot say if the AH FMIC would fit the same to an A3 that it does to the S3 but it wouldn't be too far out at a guess and prob fit better than the ebay ones.

The piping is gonna be more interesting to fit then the cooler I suspect.

<tuffty/>

oh ok thanks, be quite a bit more expensive then by the sound of things. think ill need to learn bit more about rerouting pipes etc before i attempt this.

Not sure it would be loads more, you will still need the pipes I mentioned in a previous post but some extra ones to go from the turbo to the passenger side of the car.

You are essentially creating the charge pipe the S3 has but on the opposite side. Prolly be able to use some silicone joiners and a bit of 60mm alloy pipe (AH have alooy piping on the shelf)

<tuffty/>

Thanks tuffty.

Been thinking about changing the front bumper anyway to either an S3 type or something like the one Rich uses - but I don't really want to change the sides or rear and I want to keep the look of the car flowing from front to back, so more head scratching to come - but that's another story.

Didn't realise that the engine bay layout was sooo much different (A3 Vs S3) and it's probably unfair to expect Alex to know in detail the piping routes - seeing as he works on such a diverse range of cars.

Looks like a suck it and see job - but I've just been burned taking that approach with my brakes!!

Although working in a engineering department, I'm lucky enough to have access to a host of good coded welders and pipe fabbing equipment - so I might just have to take the plunge!!

Pic of my engine bay for reference...

20090628_IMG_5893.jpg

<tuffty/>

cheers. it i can see where its different, adidas boy, if you get it done, post up a tutirol or something,, be a while till i get it done anyway, holidays etc, plus dont think id need one with on my current turbo but for k04 upgrade ill need one then.

Any news on the write up yet, and hows it been coping with the really hot weather?

Sorry guys, been quite busy this week, hoping to find some tine this weekend.

Did log the AIT's when it was 28 degrees outside.... maxed at 45 degrees and averaged 35 degrees... still loads better than the SMICS managed at 16 degrees outside temp

<tuffty/>

Sorry guys, been quite busy this week, hoping to find some tine this weekend.

Did log the AIT's when it was 28 degrees outside.... maxed at 45 degrees and averaged 35 degrees... still loads better than the SMICS managed at 16 degrees outside temp

<tuffty/>

That's excellent news. What was the average on the SMIC 70ish?

That's excellent news. What was the average on the SMIC 70ish?

Outside temp was 16 deg (early evening), would go from 55 degrees to 70 degrees under boost but the heat soak was getting worse and ended up nearer 60 degrees by the end of the logging.

The FMIC has made that a thing of the past and I appear to be getting better fuel economy too. I am sure someone told me that the ECU will enrichen the fuel mixture to help keep the cylinder temps down if the charge air is too hot. If the charge air is cooler then less fuel is used to keep it cool.

Could of heard it wrong of course...

<tuffty/>

The fuel economy side effect benefits are good to know.

Might be handy for those that need to convince the wife / gf that this is a "mod that MUST be done"!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.