A3 1.8 T Sport due 60k service - where to go in North West?

TonyA3

Reaction score
Hello,

As title suggests, my car is due its 60k service. Audi (warrington) have quoted nme £190, plus £11 if i want a car for the day.

Does anyone know when the cambelt should be changed

They said on the phone this is for "any full major service" and will include all filters, spark plugs etc.

Do you think this sounds too much? I have emailed & rang Votex last week, and never got a price back off them so don't really know if the price Audi said is good or bad?

Am i better off just finding a local garage or does anyone else have any recommendations?

Any info is appreciated

Tony

Hello,

As title suggests, my car is due its 60k service. Audi (warrington) have quoted nme £190, plus £11 if i want a car for the day.

They said on the phone this is for "any full major service" and will include all filters, spark plugs etc.

Do you think this sounds too much? I have emailed & rang Votex last week, and never got a price back off them so don't really know if the price Audi said is good or bad?

Am i better off just finding a local garage or does anyone else have any recommendations?

Any info is appreciated

Tony

I rang my Audi dealer about a service on my S3 after looking on the website and finding the price's. So i booked it in for the following week...And they didnt tell me untill i got there (was just about to hand them my key's) that i had to pay an extra £34.99 + VAT for the longlife oil and a little bit more for some platinum plug's....I laughed in the man's face and drove off.
Went down the road paid £54.99 for a Genuine fuel filter, Oil filter, 4 Platinum plugs and a 5 litre bottle of Quantium Gold oil and then payed a friend £20 to carry out a full service with the parts i bought and stamp my book.
If your car has full Audi history then your best bet would be Audi but make sure there's no extra charges when you get there. If its not full Audi history then try a local VAG specilist. :thumbsup:

couple of things here... most people regard the longlife oil as a bad thing and did Audi not mention a cambelt change at 60K ??? you really want to be considering one unless it has already been done earlier of course

Well, all but one of the services have been done by Audi, the last one was done by Vauxhall for some reason (before i bought the car) at 48k miles, nothing has been ticked in the service book, someone has just wrote "full service" so im not sure if it has been done or not.

No doubt Audi would charge far too much for a cambelt

most people regard the longlife oil as a bad thing /quote]

Yea you dont want to put that poop in your car, Your best off just going to a garage and getting a stamp once a year but service it every 5k (just oil change and oil filter)

Audi + Cambelt.....Sounds expensive but you maybe suprised. Ring them and ask for a quote. If you manage to get one thats a resonable price make sure that its a fixed price. Thats what i did with the cambelt on my old A3 and they were fine with it. Cant remember how much it was but it wasnt to bad...

ive phoned the vauxhall garage , tehy said timing belt has not been changed. Audi never mentioned it on the phone at all,but according to their site its like £300,., plus the £190 service then a tenner for the car.. £500!

:w00t:

I cant really work out from my manual if its needed or not: Under "additional service work every 90,000km (60k miles) it says air filter (a4 only),

Replacement of poly v belt - on all vehicles with petrol engine the poly v belt is replaced at the same time as the camshaft drive belt.

"service operations" - charged separelty in additiopn to normal service

camshaft drive belt and tensioning roller replaced | Notes: TDI engines with unit injector system

Judging from that , would you say it needs doing?

Edit: i called Votex, who said it should be done at 60k/5 years whichever comes first, however in my service book it doesnt say it was done in any service at Audi

If you don't know for sure the cambelt has been done your best off just getting it done.

Be cheaper than it snapping !

Some places ive seen onnline say 120k, some say 80, i cant work out from my manual when it should be done, ive phoned audi who said they would ring me back, that was ages ago

got my cambelt done in march for 370 all in at Audi... if you do get it done get em to check the water pump as itll cost an extra 30 when they're changing the cambelt of about 250 by itself... cambelts are actually good up to about 80k, its just a good idea to change them about 60-70k. I've known some people with VAG to have cambelts fine up to over 100k before being changed, but thats dangerous territory if you're a 'spirited' driver =D

got my cambelt done in march for 370 all in at Audi... if you do get it done get em to check the water pump as itll cost an extra 30 when they're changing the cambelt of about 250 by itself... cambelts are actually good up to about 80k, its just a good idea to change them about 60-70k. I've known some people with VAG to have cambelts fine up to over 100k before being changed, but thats dangerous territory if you're a 'spirited' driver =D

My A3 had the cambelt and waterpump changed at 79K by Poole Audi and they charged me £350ish.

finally got hold of someone at Audi, who said originally it should be done at 80k/5 years. She then said that Audi have since recommended it be done at 75k at the very most rather than 80

Yea i think to be on the safe side of things it would be better to do it at 70-75k.:salute: