EM TuningMonster Motorsport

Thread: Gear knob...

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status

Gear knob...

Anyone know how to get the existing one off as mines crap and i'd like change it. Mine looks like its a carbon fibre one (or lookalike anyway), is this standard?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status

Re: Gear knob...

Not sure about how to get the knob off, but I can tell you that mine is leather, but that probably comes with the .5 leather pack mine has.

1st Gear

Status

Give it a pull [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status

I'd just try and pull my knob off but am scared it will do some damage [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

why not just get "someone" to give the old knob some spit and shine...........am sure it will come "up" a treat! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif[/img]

4th Gear

Status

U CANT pull it off !! As u may know if u pull any knob' too hard u'll damage it !! and that could be very painful !! I mean financially ok !!
    The gear knob is held on with the special circlip under the leather gaiter. U need to remove the trim around the base of the gaiter and then pull the leather upwards over the knob and u will see the clip holding it in place. To remove the clip use a small screwdriver very carefully and prise the clip 'wide' and it should slip off. If ur not careful u could end up slipping off the clip and into and through the leather!! If u do then ur fecked !! To replace the gear knob u will have to purchase a new clip to fit the knob back on other wise it will keep coming off. And NO u cant use a jubilee clip coz its too FAT and will poke through the leather. I hope this is clear enough for you.

2nd Gear

Status

i did this with mine... broke it...but fixed it....and all the gear knobs i bought (2) did not fit as it did not have anything to grasp once the knob is taken off...err on 97 model by the way....might be different for other newer versions..

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status

I was considering fitting a Momo gear knob, but if the fitment is a bit specific I suppose it might just be best to buy an Audi one? If they're available?

1st Gear

Status

give awesome a bel, jim should know what nobs will fit !!

Neutral

Status

The Momo knobs have three grub screws which allow them to be fixed to the gear lever. The problem then is that you are left with a gaping hole in the top of the gaiter.
    I had a friendly tool maker turn up a new ferrule for me and attached the gaiter to this just below the gear knob.

Neutral

Status

Trimsport do nice, good quality Alu gearknobs...

www.trimsport.co.uk

6th Gear

Status

get a skull, they are nice and tasteful [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif[/img] As for removing them, I almost pulled mine off on the Scottish meet desperately trying to get to 3rd [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] so I can't have a circlip on mine. (pre-facelift)

Neutral

Status

ive done a search on gear knobs and came up with this old thread.

Did any of you find the momo gear knob cheaper than this place and if so let me know your recommendations? (go right to the bottom of the page) http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/P...Knobs_144.html

I want to get the black leather one but do any of you also know whether it shows the gears on the top of the knob or is it just a design if you know what i mean

2nd Gear

Status

dont buy the richbrook stuff...they are crap,..bad fitting etc

6th Gear

Status

Buy Momo quality gear [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Haven't given the Gear Knob any thought to be honest.

What have the latter models/S3's got on them?

Reverse Gear

Status

The gear knob is easy to get off without ripping it off... the best way I found was to take off the top part (that shows the gears) and then unscrew the whole thing (from my experience this didn't mess anything up) and lift it all up... The gaiter is clipped onto the knob but I just ripped that part off without any problems...

I did find though that when I had the new knob on (a Momo Cobra) Id obviously lost the push-down reverse and ended up getting into reverse gear when trying to get into first! (not fun... trust me!)

As far as I know the only knob that will work is the Momo one for VAG cars (not seen this so don't know how it works)... If all else fails the old gear knob and stick clip back in ok (once its been screwed in)...

2nd Gear

Status

Just replaced mine on a new A3, it is held in place by a small metal clip which is squashed with a pliers until it holds the knob tightly on the shaft (pphhnarrr!).

If you do have a carbon look knob on your car it is probably worth flogging it on e-bay after you take it off, the Audi part sells for approx 100.

Taken from www.speeding.co.uk

Sphere Gear Knob SPECIAL FIT VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda

These gorgeous MOMO gear knobs are special fit design for the Following Vehicles:-

Audi A3-A4 Seat Arosa, Cordoba, Ibiza & Toledo. Skoda Fabia & Octavia. VW New Beetle, Bora, Golf 4, Passat, Lupo & Polo.

Choose from Aluminium with Black Leather or the Solid Aluminium design. Supplied complete with full fitting instructions and all parts. Due to the unique gear shafts of the above vehicles, these are the only gear knobs that fit correctly !

Reverse Gear

Status
    Do you know where I can get the circlip from?

1st Gear

Status
    I changed my worn original S3 gear knob and gaiter last month. Bought a new genuine Audi S3 one from my local dealership for 32 (part number 8L0 863 278 BJ 6BN) which is the complete gear knob and gaiter.

Very easy to change, the leather section just unclips and pulls over the gear knob exposing the metal crimped clip which was a bit of a pain to break off. The new gear knob and gaiter then just slides over the gear stick and clips in place, I didn't bother crimping the new metal clip as I didn't have a suitable tool to do it, but as it turns out I don't need to as the new gear knob sits perfectly nice and tight without it.

Here's some pics of my old gear knob which I hope might help:

Current:
    2013 Audi A5 Coupe Black Edition 2.0 tdi 177 manual with t
    echnology pack, interior lighting, cruise control, heated seats.
    Past:
    2006 Mk5 VW Golf GT 2.0 tdi 170
    2001 8L Audi S3 1.8T
    1998 8L Audi A3 1.8T
    1996 Mk3 VW Golf Gti 2.0 8v
    1994 Mk3 VW Golf Gti 2.0 8v
    1986 Mk2 VW Golf driver 1.6
    1987 Vauxhaull Nova 1.0

5th Gear

Status
    Or you can replace with a 8P S3 nob which fits perfectly with the stiched gaitor like I have.. Mine is identical to this pic, matches my cream recaros perfectly.... Not cheap though at abot 70 all in I believe... But look lovely and OEM, plus a tad shorter to.

Whats going on???

Status

My Social Networking

Visit s3 Hoggy's Instagram Channel
    See this thread for the new s3 gear knob

New S3 (8P) Gearknob
    2002 S3 REVO
    Milltek, Sachs Organic clutch, 007p, Genuine RSTT's, BBS RS2's
    Koni FSD & H&R springs, Neuspeed 22mm rear ARB, KW tie arms
    LCR Brembo's with DS2500's & Paul's 300mm Rear disc kit,
    Michelin Pilot Sport 3's,Badger5 V2.2 Jetex filter & heatshield

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky_Junky View Post
    I'd just try and pull my knob off but am scared it will do some damage [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif[/img]
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha nobody likes a damaged knob!!

thats me

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fran-s3 View Post
    Or you can replace with a 8P S3 nob which fits perfectly with the stiched gaitor like I have.. Mine is identical to this pic, matches my cream recaros perfectly.... Not cheap though at abot 70 all in I believe... But look lovely and OEM, plus a tad shorter to.

WOW thats my car in the top PIC
    red to red black to black blue to bits