Removing Locking Wheel Bolt Without Adapter?

Ellisium

Reaction score
Hi, picked up my car last week and as I was giving it a bit of a service yesterday, I discovered that one of the wheels still had a locking wheel bolt holding it on. The problem is that the locking wheel nut adapter was not supplied with the car.

I was wondering if it was a standard Audi locking wheel bolt or if you have any tips on removing it. It has 19 'teeth' on the inside if that helps and will take a photo if required. I have tried the search function but it does not appear to be working at the minute.

Cheers :sm4:

If it was a garage you bought it from go back to them and ask them to get you one. If not you will have to take your registration document to the Audi dealers and they will get you one.

If it is indeed an OEM locking nut then AUDi will have a key for this, as they are not individually unique so the key is a universal fit across the range. Failing this if it is an aftermarket locking bolt, then you'd need the registration code usually obtained on a certificate on purchase of the locking nut to order another key.

If this is the case then you'll have to drill it out and use an easy out screw extractor set to withdraw it from the hub. Good luck either way

I had a similar problem my mate just hammered a socket onto it,obviously the socket will be scrap and obviously its your car so all the noise generated would not be a problem.

You can buy locking nut removers from ebay, i paid £10 for a decent sealey set. just a couple of sockets with internal reverse thread that bite onto the outer edge of the nut to unscrew.

ps, it was my car i used this on

If you have rac or aa cover they'll come and sort it for you!! If you need rac cover i can do u a good deal as i work for em!!!!! :sign_plug:

you can buy locking wheel not removers from ebay. i got a set of sealey ones for about £10 work a treat

Thanks for the quick replies :icon_thumright:

Will try and call in at Audi tomorrow if I have time and if it is a universal wheel locking bolt.

Below is a photo to see if anyone has the same:
P1010295.jpg

Failing that, I feel that the socket and hammer maybe a good idea :yes:

S3 ROCKS - the easy-out set I have may not be upto the job as I imagine these wheel bolts can be pretty stubborn and tightened to 120Nm. I have taken a template so may try and knock something together if the above doesn't work.

:greyrs4: Cheers

If you have rac or aa cover they'll come and sort it for you!! If you need rac cover i can do u a good deal as i work for em!!!!! :sign_plug:

I have just spent my Tesco Clubcard points on another years RAC membership as well, may need to call them as I have a chip in the windscreen :sm4:

thats the same nut as i used the remover on, they are quite soft metal so you will probably just round them off and end up in a worse situation

I had a similar problem my mate just hammered a socket onto it,obviously the socket will be scrap and obviously its your car so all the noise generated would not be a problem.
if you use an impact socket youll hardly damage the socket..:nunu:

find a bolt that has a head that fits into the hole (and I mean fits snuggly without risk of slipping.) I forget the size
stick two nuts butted up against each other onto the bolt and take it off with a power bar (not a windy gun, it will stip the teeth off the inside).
thats what I did.

All sorted now thanks to Audi Liverpool.

Really helpful there as they brought out the case with all the adapters and removed it for free.

Thanks for the replies :cool: