haldex 1 n haldex 2?

cyuen

Reaction score
Website
www.schnell-motorwerke.com
heard there are 2 versions. can anyone tell me the differences? Or is it just the black box setting is different.

Also, would the R32 Golf's black box be more aggressive than ours? Perhaps a good Haldex upgrade is to take the R32's haldex controller?

suggestions please!!

I don't know about the different Haldex unit but the settings can indeed be different, with the right hardware and software you can dial in any settings you want to the controller I have heard that someone is working on a chip for the R32 controller which should work in the S3 or any other Haldex equipped car

Below is a pic of the R32 controller which is different to the S3 but looks as if it would fit. I've now read that later R32s have more aggresive settings than the earlier ones so it could be a good upgrade if you want to spend the bucks (£750 + VAT for the S3), also post 2001 S3s have a controller with slightly different wiring but do work on pre 2001 cars (I've fitted one) as for the software on the post 2001 S3 being any different I do'nt know

[ QUOTE ]
Andy bS3 said:
Can anyone read Swedish

http://www.ace-competition.com/index.php?page=haldex

[/ QUOTE ]

I can give it a try(from Norway, not good in english)

Ökad momentöverföring vid gaspådrag som ger ett mer konsekvent uppträdande med ökad överstyrning - uppskattas vid sportig körning. (more/increase Torque? when accelrate, who gives mer consecuent? feel with more oversteer with faster driving)

Snabbare momentöverföring som påverkas av hur snabbt man trycker ner gaspedalen. Kopplingen är förberedd att överföra moment innan motorn lämnar moment.(faster torquechange who depends on how fast you press the pedal) (the clutch? er prepared to transfer torque before the engine give the torque)

I högre hastigheter minskar momentet vilket ger minskad överstyrning och ger tryggare köregenskaper (understyrd bil ger ökad säkerhetskänsla). (in high speed sthe torque decrease which give less oversteer and safer driving abilities. A understeer car gives more safetyfeel)

I'm finished work now but can try more tomorow if you like?
I have also talked to some who use this. But I get back to you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Since I'm from sweden /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'll give it a try:

ACE competition is concidered as a very proffesional (but sadly a bit expensive) tuning company among many Audi-owners in sweden.

Acc. to ACE-competitions' web page the upgrade kit is developed together with Haldex. It consists of a new valve unit and upgraded software.

Translation:
--------
-Increased torque transfer when depressing the gas pedal wich gives more consistent oversteering. Appreciated during sporty driving

-Quicker torque transfer wich is affected by how fast you depress the gas pedal. The clutch (in the haldex) is prepared to transfer torque even before the engine is delivering the torque.

-At higher speeds the torque is decreased wich gives reduced oversteer and safer handling characteristics (understeer gives a increased feeling of safety)

Safety:
All safety systems in the car works just like with the standard software. E.g. the haldex clutch opens fully during ABS-braking or ESP-intervention in order not to disturb these systems.

Price: 10800 SEK = approx £790
Mounting: 1200 SEK = approx £90
Mounting can also be done by ather workshops or a professional mechanic.

---------
/translation

the problem with these prices, is that swedish vat is 25%! if you can get a german co to import it then send it here, you would only pay the german 15% vat (or whatever it is now) - this is what we did for volvo t5 chips - theres a german reseller who would sell it to the uk.

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
Ok, silly question time - Where does this haldex controller go, as in where does it plug into? Is it plug and play??

[/ QUOTE ]

The controller bolts onto the Haldex box at the back of your car it determines how much and when the rear wheels are engaged by means of a bypass valve inside the controller which in turn is opened/closed by means of a stepper motor which is controlled by a circuit board/processor which is also inside the controller all of these receive their signals from ABS,ESP and throttle position. It is thought that if more aggresive software was loaded into the controller it would benefit the handling of the car (which I have to agree with being stuck in 4wd for 2 months)

[ QUOTE ]
Andy bS3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
Ok, silly question time - Where does this haldex controller go, as in where does it plug into? Is it plug and play??

[/ QUOTE ]

The controller bolts onto the Haldex box at the back of your car it determines how much and when the rear wheels are engaged by means of a bypass valve inside the controller which in turn is opened/closed by means of a stepper motor which is controlled by a circuit board/processor which is also inside the controller all of these receive their signals from ABS,ESP and throttle position. It is thought that if more aggresive software was loaded into the controller it would benefit the handling of the car (which I have to agree with being stuck in 4wd for 2 months)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks mate, as my car doesn't have ESP, wonder if it would still work? A possible mod for the future though, I'll wait for some more feedback from you guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

O.CT do an upgraded haldex contoller which promotes a 60/40 (rear/front) split which allows proper oversteering! Check out the german site for details.

[ QUOTE ]
Andy bS3 said:
maybe I'm wrong but when the Haldex is fully engaged it can only give you 50/50 unless the front wheels are spinning in which case it can deliver upto 100% to the rear so in normal driving conditions 60% to the rear is impossible?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it can give 100% to the rear if the front wheels are spinning, why can't it give 60% with a Haldex controller?
Does anyone know any more about this mod? sounds like something I would be interested later on. Would it make anything wear out quicker?

The Haldex equipped cars are primarily FWD that is a direct drive to the front wheels which then feed drive to the rears so even if you welded the prop to the back wheels it could not drive more than 50% (in normal conditions) because it is the front that is supplying the drive or thats the way I understand it anyway.
You could take the whole drivetrain out, turn it round put the engine in the back and have the Porsche 959 setup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There is a more informative post from Mark R on the subject a few months ago

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
James M said:
am I wrong in thinking the standard Haldex setup can split power 0/100 100/0

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the maximum it can do is 50/50... otherwise the front would have to be 'detachable' from the gearbox!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely correct, the front wheels are always driven no matter what!, so it's more like the Haldex system can give 50/50 drive to the front and rear axles. However, it is possible to theoretically put more power to the rear wheels if the fronts were slipping (no traction), or the front was jacked up in the air with only the rears gripping, giving all the power to the rear wheels... am i making sense?... I'll get my coat...

[/ QUOTE ]

I would seem thats not correct mate, this is a paragraph from the bloke at Haldex from the other thread, it seems it is possible to transfer all the power to the rear

1. There are situations where near 100% torque transfer to the rear axle
occur. An example is if the front wheels are on ice and the rear wheels are
on tarmac. In that case the front wheels have (almost) no grip. In that
case, the Haldex coupling will transfer all torque to the rear axle and
prevent front wheel spin. On uniform surfaces however, the coupling can not
transfer all torque to the rear axle. See below.

erm after reading it again yes it is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif