2001 210 bhp S3 vs 56 plate 3.2 s-line

GT130

Reaction score
guys,

private stretch of road upto high speeds and there was very little in it, 3.2 dsg overtook me by eventually - very surprised at the s3, mapped i think it would have been a completely different matter !!

Car was driven by a colleague so i know he was gunning it, he was also a little surprised at the S3 - impressive stuff for a little 1.8.

I understand the golf r32 is a fair bit quicker than the S3 - how comes the A3 is not the same performance as the R32 - is it heavier due to better build quality?

Any comments...

should have stated it was a rolling start from approx 25-30, 3.2 was behind me and pulled a car length by high speed....very little in it to be honest, especially as i would have been loosing time changing gears compared to the dsg box in the s-line...

I understand the golf r32 is a fair bit quicker than the S3 - how comes the A3 is not the same performance as the R32 - is it heavier

R32 isn't quicker than ours by the book but DSG isn't in the book BTW

yup R32 isnt supposed to be quicker..... id expect the 3.2 to pull higher up, the remap would give you a tad more grunt up the higher speeds tho....

then considering the a3 3.2 you'll have a heavier car i expect

I have a 225 BAM S3 with a few small mod's but no Re-map and my friend has an R32 with a Miltek system (Sounds Awesome!) And his R32 is only just a tiny bit quicker. But i went to Revo for my free 5 hour trail....The tables had turned and he was miles back! :arco:
He and i were both quite suprised to see it be that much faster but it was and it felt great :) :)

Standard the R32 is quicker, but a remapped S3 will be faster in a straight line.

is there that much difference between the S3 and R32 in the corners?genuine question as obviously the S3 is notoriously crap in corners, hwever the golf has a very heavy engine which cant be good, plus its higher in stance..... cant be like chalk and cheese surely?

Yes the little Race we had was in a stright line on a "Private road" but if and when we go though the lanes he finds it hard to keep up :) Maybe my driving :) Both standard in the way of handeling by the way. But yes id admit that the R32 is the tinyiest bit faster if they were both standard. But if the S3's been mapped they stand no chance! :arco:

is there that much difference between the S3 and R32 in the corners?genuine question as obviously the S3 is notoriously crap in corners, hwever the golf has a very heavy engine which cant be good, plus its higher in stance..... cant be like chalk and cheese surely?

my S3 is ok in the corners, must be something wrong with yours :p

My Experience of my tarted S3 vs Standard 8P A3 3.2 DSG(Driven and owned by WesG) going round Castle Coombe Circuit was that the A3 is a capable machine, it was right behind me all the time, and Wes claims he's never done a track session before! I have to admit that as the session got further and I started to get a bit more comfortable with braking points and corner speeds, I would have slowly pulled away eventually, but I'm still impressed, even though I was carrying a passenger(got to make an excuse).

I do wonder how much quicker a standard 8P S3 is over a 3.2 though, can't be that much of a performance gap right?

jojo are you at Combe on Saturday? Never see any other S3's on the track! I havent got a track time this year :banghead: Sold out :( Will have to hope someone cancels!

Westle, ive never had a problem mate...its all the track day people that slate it, that and the people that spend money to make it a track car just to say they have had it done... never had a problem with it on corners and ive taken a few at higher than normal speeds

jojo are you at Combe on Saturday? Never see any other S3's on the track! I havent got a track time this year :banghead: Sold out :( Will have to hope someone cancels!

No, it was an AudiDriver's day in October, I've been to the last 4 meeting, I will be setting it up again this year for as.net members to park inside if I still have mny S3. ;)

Westle, ive never had a problem mate...its all the track day people that slate it, that and the people that spend money to make it a track car just to say they have had it done... never had a problem with it on corners and ive taken a few at higher than normal speeds

Go with your own opinion then mate, dont worry about what other people think. The track day boys will slate it because they're talking about standard suspension being used on a track and they're looking for something toned for the track.

There's no doubt that the S3 can be improved but as standard on a road I think its the nuts for a front engined car. I used to own an elise and that could handle but that's what you get when you have a rwd mid engined car.:respekt:

Westle..... im happy fella just trying to get opinions of people who seem to know about the track cars (or assume they do) as cant see the need to change with driving i do...what are they doing that requires that extra £1400 on susp?

yup ill go with that...used to sell VX's, the turbo ones were animals, although more road user friendly than the Elise due to the alignments.... the Elise i have no doubt would have caused it grief on the track in its day (talking when they had the K series in)....not driven the Toyota engined one yet

Quite happy with the handling of mine on std suspension, especially on the bumpy lanes i tend to frequent. Ok its not got the feedback and detail of other machines i've driven and owned but its still grippy and quick enough. Start adding suspension and it never ends as its so hard to find a good compromise for British B roads!

makes me laugh this, loads of people (including S3 owners) slate it for 1 reason or another.... yet who has lost on bends to a clio or an elise lately? i bet its only a small handful

3.2dsg did make ground at the higher speed but to be honest I was big time impressed with my standard 210 S3 !!

i bet he was more gutted than you, most bigt engine drivers i know think they have a go given right to be the fastest on the road... the 1.8T doesnt do bad considering its not got the displacement

animal, not his car so he was not bothered - also meant he was honest in his comments...

To be honest i've borrowed a fair few cars through work (insignia 2.0 sri petrol turbo, mondeo tit x tdci, civic 2.2d, accord 2.2d, focus sport tdci, 118d m sport, golft tdi, skoda superb, merc a class, focus st3, astra vrx, skoda oct vrs diesel, audi q5 tdi, golf r32, driven rs4 new one - not borrowed lol) and the only one that i got excited about (barring rs4) was the st3, q5 was great as feels like an 'occasion car' but the st3 was great - nice having access to other new cars as it makes you appreciate how good the orig. S3 really is.....great car and difficult to replace seeing as they are now pretty cheap !

No, it was an AudiDriver's day in October, I've been to the last 4 meeting, I will be setting it up again this year for as.net members to park inside if I still have mny S3. ;)

Yea i was there in my Gold A3 but it was only a 1.6 so i didnt track lol, Went as a Passenger of a friend's RS2 tho :yum:
I was also at the Eurofest around this time last year i think and i only saw one S3...tut tut
Well PM me when your next going to track and ill do my best to get there :thumbsup:

animal, not his car so he was not bothered - also meant he was honest in his comments...

To be honest i've borrowed a fair few cars through work (insignia 2.0 sri petrol turbo, mondeo tit x tdci, civic 2.2d, accord 2.2d, focus sport tdci, 118d m sport, golft tdi, skoda superb, merc a class, focus st3, astra vrx, skoda oct vrs diesel, audi q5 tdi, golf r32, driven rs4 new one - not borrowed lol) and the only one that i got excited about (barring rs4) was the st3, q5 was great as feels like an 'occasion car' but the st3 was great - nice having access to other new cars as it makes you appreciate how good the orig. S3 really is.....great car and difficult to replace seeing as they are now pretty cheap !

I think that the S3 standard is good round corners.....The Quattro helps alot and i think is maybe worth the extra weight in the aspect of cornering but ive noticed that on some sharp bends the Quattro does most of the work. Theres a sharp roundabout near my house and i get off at the 2nd exit which is at about 2 o clock and ive never seen or been in a car that has killed it like the S3 has. I think this debate is everyone's own thought's or opinions but id rather have the weight and the Quattro then without :blahblah1:

But i went to Revo for my free 5 hour trail....The tables had turned and he was miles back! :arco:
He and i were both quite suprised to see it be that much faster but it was and it felt great :) :)

whats revo and whats the free 5 hours sorry never heard of them pm me please

whats revo and whats the free 5 hours sorry never heard of them pm me please

Have a look on their website mate - they used to offer a 5 hour (that's driving time so it'll last you longer) free trial, then the map reverts back to standard.

Although - from what I've read it goes back to revo "standard" & not the original audi map & revo seems to be a touch slower (nice little marketing move).

Have a look on their website mate - they used to offer a 5 hour (that's driving time so it'll last you longer) free trial, then the map reverts back to standard.

Although - from what I've read it goes back to revo "standard" & not the original audi map & revo seems to be a touch slower (nice little marketing move).

Once the Revo software has been on the car for 5 hours (ignition time) it wipes the Revo off leaving the origanal Audi software on there but obviusly after the 5 hours of 270BHP run out and your back to 210/225BHP then it feel's gutless.... I kind of regret doing it now because i want it mapped even more! But it will soon come :) :)

na thats wrong Hodge.... the Audi map is wiped by the Revo...you cant have 2 maps on one ECU, on one of these anyway.... it always reverts to Revo's interpretation of the standard map and a rumour that has surrounded it for some time by many is that it is slower than standard