ABS Rear Sensor Drama.

Tiger

Reaction score
Had my ABS light on, just the orange one to start with, intermittant too at first, then on permanent. After 3 months of that on, now got the whole red warning circle on the display too.

Took the two front wheels off and cleaned the sensors, lovely, tried ignition, warning still up. Took the backs off today and was greeted by limited access to the sensor head due to guard round the disc, so without stripping the caliper off I thought 'I'll just take the sensors out and clean them'

First thing that happened was the head stripped out the rear n/s sensor retaining bolt, then on the rear o/s it budged...............then sheared straight off. What a bitch of an afternoon.

Any ideas what next? I'm guessing i'll be taking it to the garage now and play the ignorance card :ermm:

Ben.

They can probably get the stripped bolt out with a good warming up. Acetylene usually works wonders. Might not do the sensor much good.

The other may come off with an easy out and some heat.
I don't think the sensors are that pricey.

The big cost may be the labour to get access.

I stripped an A3 that was rolled and all the bits like that came off easily. Mind you living in Australia, you don't get rust as an issue.

Gavin

i have the same prob, abs light keeps coming on and off.. i was gunna do the same, but you have to brake them to get them off iirc?

i have the same prob, abs light keeps coming on and off.. i was gunna do the same, but you have to brake them to get them off iirc?

Mine practically fell out, I got all four with no damage. UK might be different with the weather etc.

A good soak with WD40 would improve your chances.

Gavin

I managed to get my sensor out without stripping the calliper. They get a little stiff so they require a little tap with a screw driver from the outside of the wheel hub. You can only just see the edge of the sensor because of the sensors disc (the one with little squares cut out of it) gets in the way.

Personally I wouldn't waste your time trying to clean the sensor, I bought a new one from Euro Car Parts for around £35.

The sensors are £13.95 each, this i've enquired about.

I'm worried the garage will tell me theres no hope getting the sensor bolts out (or at least one side, the one that has sheared flush with the sensor) I dont want them to tell me I need new rear calipers.

So, after the weekend, i'm taking her in to get it done, or get a price at least. I'll get all 4 corners done and just pray to god that it fixes the problem, because from there, I understand it gets pricey when we get to ABS Modules.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for help chaps.