Volks AutosSky Insurance
    Third Gear

Status

Can you adjust caster [4 Wheel Alignment Question]

So I have been meaning to ask this for a while, as I had my alignment done, and the caster appears to be off. I have scanned it, but as it is black and white, I shall give you the details on the sheet, as it is hard to read.

Left Front Right Front
    Camber -059' Camber -043'
    Caster 731' Caster 846'
    Toe 004'] Toe 004'
    Front
    Total Toe 008'
    Steer Ahead 000

Left Rear Right Rear
    Camber -315' Camber -202
    Toe 008' Toe 004
    Rear
    Total Toe 013'
    Thrust Angle 002'

I know I can not adjust the camber without adjustable tie bars, but my question is about the Caster, as the front right one showed up in red [you shall see it as white writing] so I guess this is not great?
    I read through the manuals to adjust these settings, and there was nothing there, so I wanted to know if anyone else knew, and what the impact of that being out is? Also, how would it get out?

Thanks

Bruce

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    without modding the top mounts i believe the only way to adjust the Castor is to move the sub frame forward or backward but you arnt going to be able to move it very far at all. could be somethings bent maybe?
    8P S3

Third Gear

Status
    Yeah, I have read about moving the sub frame in some VW forums, and it appears as though there are kits that you can fit [see link] but in all honesty I am not that keen on fitting a kit, as I was more worried why it was so out.

The car was HPI clear when I got it, but I suppose a knock to a wheel may be able to adjust things, as it is only just in the red.

Also, we did not have the special Audi tool when sorting the alignment, so it may just be that all the pulling around messed up the laser sensors???

At some point I may upgrade the suspension, but I am not sure if that will affect caster at all, so if I do it, I would like both sides of the car to have the same angle, although this may expalin why the car pulls slightly left.

LINK: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1432095

Speeding in reverse gear

Status
    Don't mean to scare you Bruce, but I'm guessing that the 'slight' shunt the guy was talking about when selling the car to you was a little more then slight... eh?

Third Gear

Status
    That would make sense if the left is out, which is where the angle is actually in??? But I may have to get it looked at when it gets serviced ......... or slam on teh brakes teh next time a Merc is ridding my ass

Status
    Subframe is the only option i'm afraid...
    Just loosen the bolts and move it.
    The difference is so little between the two that it should come in doing that.

Oddly, it looks like you have more caster than normal (a good thing, in my book) so I'd suggest you move the front subframe forward on the left to try to get it up!

A shunt would normally reduce caster, if the wheel has been knocked back.

Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

Third Gear

Status
    Sweet, may have a play at that. I don't suppose you have recommended setting for Caster do you, I have seen the toe and camber settings, but caster has never really come up?

Third Gear

Status
    Or do you know what the factory settings are?

Status
    No, and no.
    I just set as much as I could, but equally across the axle...and left it at that.

Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

Third Gear

Status
    Cool thanks, will see what I can get out of it next time I get a chance to get access to the laser equipment.
    I also found that without the Audi tool for setting the alignment, it was a bit of a pain, so may need to see if I can get one of those, as the Audi garage I have a contact in lost theirs

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBruce View Post
    Cool thanks, will see what I can get out of it next time I get a chance to get access to the laser equipment.
    I also found that without the Audi tool for setting the alignment, it was a bit of a pain, so may need to see if I can get one of those, as the Audi garage I have a contact in lost theirs
    This tool you mention...can you explain that further? I'm doing an alignment in the nearest future and any info helps...Not going to an Audi dealer to get it done!
    My old car.. Still miss the lil rocket :-)

Remapped Stage II - Forge FMIC - Dahlb�ck Intake - K&N - DieselGeek ShortShift - Phenolic - Powerflex Dogbone - Rial Daytona Race 8.5x18" ET30 - Forge Tiebars - Bilstein B8 - H&R 25mm - R32 rear ARB - H&R 20mm Spacers - EBC Discs - Red Stuff pads

Now running on Heavy Oil

Status
    Just had my tracking done and I had exactly the same issue except both my caster readings were red but both almost the same so I left it. Apparently most golf\Audi's\seat have the same issues on certain equipment! If they're both close as yous are i wouldn't worry!!

Sub frame is the only way but the holes ay that big so you won't get much!!
    "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few"

Churchill August 20th 1940

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Moeller View Post
    This tool you mention...can you explain that further? I'm doing an alignment in the nearest future and any info helps...Not going to an Audi dealer to get it done!
    Here you go

8P S3

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3ollie View Post
    Here you go

Big thanks...will see if the garage have one of these!
    My old car.. Still miss the lil rocket :-)

Remapped Stage II - Forge FMIC - Dahlb�ck Intake - K&N - DieselGeek ShortShift - Phenolic - Powerflex Dogbone - Rial Daytona Race 8.5x18" ET30 - Forge Tiebars - Bilstein B8 - H&R 25mm - R32 rear ARB - H&R 20mm Spacers - EBC Discs - Red Stuff pads

4th Gear

Status
    8P S3

Third Gear

Status
    Dennis - There is a special tool that you need, otherwise adjusting becomes a bit fiddly. I had all the instructions somewhere, and it listed the tool, and form what I remember, it was a pain in to get poles to get enough leverage to change the measurements, where as the tool pop in to two holes, and you wind it out [I think, cause I did not have one]

Somewhere I have all the documents, so PM me, and if I can find them I can pass them along to you.

I also heard that if one spring is slightly more work than the other, it can lower the car [millimetres] and this can affect the caster, and in some cases they just pop a piece of wood in to raise it all, and everything matches, tricks of the trade hey .....