Looking for a new backbox...

A3-sport

BOSE
Reaction score
... for my 1999 A3 1.6.

What would people recomend? Wanting something fairly standard but twin exit tail pipe. (£75 budget)

Wanting it to sound more sporty but not chav like lol.

ive always wondered why people just change the back box for a chavy one. The people that do it spend alot of money on there cars modding htem so why not get a cat back one and your set for life. i mean there happy paying like £1000 a year on insurance but dont wanna spend £300 on a one in a life time purchase of a cat back. weird.

i dont think you can get a catback for a peugeot 106 or a saxo with an exit pipe the size of an industrial size can of beans....

Your best bet is just to save up and buy a catback. I think any cheap back box made for an A3/S3 would be for chav's that want to make there car heard from the other side of there town/city....

Your best bet is just to save up and buy a catback. I think any cheap back box made for an A3/S3 would be for chav's that want to make there car heard from the other side of there town/city....

hhmmm ok then. Thanks. Does the new shape back box fit the old A3s? You know - the ones that go across the back of the car rather than front front to back (Backbox only).

Thanks.

Sadly mate, you say you don't want a cheap one, but £75 is stupidly cheap in the world of modifying Audi's!

On your 1.6, no backbox is going to add any power at all. It'll just make a nasty noise. I had a friend with a backbox on his 1.6, and it made the car worse to drive, it felt gutless, and made a horrible drone.

If you want it for the looks, then that's cool.

Search on the golf forums for a milltek catback, they tend to go for about £150 for a used one. the mk4 golf exhausts sit much better on the A3 than the A3 designed ones too!

Search on the golf forums for a milltek catback, they tend to go for about £150 for a used one. the mk4 golf exhausts sit much better on the A3 than the A3 designed ones too!

I second that prawn i had the Miltek catback on my A3 and it sat alot better then the other's id seen for the A3's. Nice tune for a 1.6 aswell :music:

hhmmm ok then. Thanks. Does the new shape back box fit the old A3s? You know - the ones that go across the back of the car rather than front front to back (Backbox only).

Thanks.

Im not sure on that but im sure that you will be more then pleased with a Miltek catback :)

the new shape exhausts will NOT fit the 8L chassis....

the mk4 golf is the same as an 8L underneath, and with a tiny bit of trimming to the valance, the mk4 exhausts look way better on the A3's as they sit tight up into the bumper, instead of looking gash hanging below.

the new shape exhausts will NOT fit the 8L chassis....

the mk4 golf is the same as an 8L underneath, and with a tiny bit of trimming to the valance, the mk4 exhausts look way better on the A3's as they sit tight up into the bumper, instead of looking gash hanging below.

Yes, Tight is best! :jump:
Go for the Mk4 golf Miltek catback. They do a R32 one i think that would look sweet!

Yes purely for looks. Think the baffles have gone in my standard back box as it is loud as ****.

Thanks for the input.

Yes purely for looks. Think the baffles have gone in my standard back box as it is loud as ****.

Thanks for the input.

Lol no proplem, I think you should make your budget a little bigger and buy a Catback it will be 10 times better then a backbox.