Badger5AH Fabrications
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 121 to 139 of 139
  1. #121
    Ess_Three's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    5,385
    BTW, if people are bored...I'll stop arguing the case of the S3!


    Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #122
    hud at ye bam

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    2,231
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    And you are wrong
    a) ignoring Rallying
    b)4wd is only absent from F1, GT Series and WTCC because they are NOT allowed to use it.
    If they were you would see 4WD cars in every form.
    c) this restriction clearly implies a competitive advantage.

    Therefore: 4WD can equal "sporty"... whatever that is...

    but I agree with one thing, Haldex is pants!
    I seem to remember they didn't like Audi using 4wd in their touring cars back in the nineties when they were winning everything. Obviously not sporty enough...
    [/sarcasm]

  4. #123
    hud at ye bam

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    2,231
    Quote Originally Posted by Ess_Three View Post
    BTW, if people are bored...I'll stop arguing the case of the S3!
    Hehe, noooo. It's my morning's entertainment!
    [/sarcasm]

  5. #124
    vetch's Avatar
    S3

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by Ess_Three View Post
    BTW, if people are bored...I'll stop arguing the case of the S3!
    Keep going, I'm learning alot from your responses and laughing alot from Dave's responses!
    Audi S3

  6. #125
    Ess_Three's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    5,385
    Quote Originally Posted by ChriS3 View Post
    I seem to remember they didn't like Audi using 4wd in their touring cars back in the nineties when they were winning everything. Obviously not sporty enough...
    Was that in the wet or the dry Chris?
    Can you recall?
    Oh yeah...both.

    All those pure racing drivers, with their RWD cars (actually, some FWD...but never mind...we'll choose to ignore them because they are compromised not-proper cars) must have been really upset to see their proper, pure, traditional driving styles monstered by louts in efficient 4WD cars using power where the 'rule book' says you shouldn't. How very dare they? Blo*dy Germans...

    What was that about 2nd being the 1st looser?
    Rip up 'the rule book'...it's 1st past the post that counts...


    Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

  7. #126
    vetch's Avatar
    S3

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    412
    More info on the Audi A4 quattro touring car - the touring car governing body deemed the 4wd system such an advantage that the car had to carry extra weight as a handicap. Dont quote me on this but I believe it was 95kg.

    Oh, found this, a very interesting read! http://www.speedarena.com/news/publish/features/printer_3883.shtml
    Audi S3

  8. #127
    1animal1's Avatar
    The Clar!! it mouves!!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    9,990
    crack on Glen..... i too am loving Dave's intelligent yet flawed replies.... kind of like the uni grad who studies theory and the guy whos practised the actual application over many years argument....
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

    Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

  9. #128
    fingermouse's Avatar
    thats me

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    west yorkshire
    Posts
    3,762
    I was going to mention the turning cars but didn`t have all the info but I remember them ripping up the rule book because of the audis. Quite a few teddys got thrown out of some big cots back then lol
    red to red black to black blue to bits

  10. #129
    Ess_Three's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    5,385
    Quote Originally Posted by fingermouse View Post
    I was going to mention the turning cars but didn`t have all the info but I remember them ripping up the rule book because of the audis. Quite a few teddys got thrown out of some big cots back then lol
    Am I remembering right?
    Didn't they ban ABS too as the BMWs were taking chunks out of everyone using ABS in the early BTCC days?

    Presumably proper cars should have RWD and no ABS. Technology and progress are overrated anyway...who needs 'em?


    Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

  11. #130
    1animal1's Avatar
    The Clar!! it mouves!!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    9,990
    Dave doesnt..... apparently google says that your car is only restricted by the driver driving it, maybe i should have paid more attention to my theory test rather than fannying about on the oral
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

    Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

  12. #131
    Ess_Three's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    5,385
    My degree from the University of Life have taught me that when reality and theory collide, reality usually comes out on top.


    Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

  13. #132
    1animal1's Avatar
    The Clar!! it mouves!!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    9,990
    but did you check with Paul Roberts of Heat magazine? he disagrees with you and i think hes more qualified in life because hes 89 years of age.....

    where will this end......
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

    Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

  14. #133
    Slipping at 3.5Krpm

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    1,951
    Quote Originally Posted by 1animal1 View Post
    crack on Glen..... i too am loving Dave's intelligent yet flawed replies.... kind of like the uni grad who studies theory and the guy whos practised the actual application over many years argument....
    I'd love you to point out the flaws.

    I think the basis of that statement relies mostly on your lack of knowledge than anything else.

    Glen will argue ALL day regardless of how wrong he is, and so will I, and I can guarantee someone with more knowledge could come in and rip apart every post made by Glen and every post by me.

    But personally, I'm not so sure you're qualified to comment.

    My original staement concerned the S3 specifically, and now everyone has decided I am against 4Wd in all applications.
    If we're going to get to grass roots, we should all have RWD cars with no power steering and no ABS.
    Interesting that concept is massively popular, think Caterham and Westfield.

    But lets summarise:

    4WD is great in most applications
    The S3 is a tarted up A3
    4WD on the S3 is universally cack

    And the things we disagree on:

    Traction advantage in normal driving
    Traction advantage on wet ground
    Glen can quantify 4% difference on a dyno with a 5% error margin.

    What have I missed?
    <Insert meaningless geeky specs here>

  15. #134
    1animal1's Avatar
    The Clar!! it mouves!!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    9,990
    the fact that an M3 is tarted up 3 series perhaps? because thats exactly what it is with traction control no less....

    I am fully aware that most of what is above is beyond my experiance, but i do have a damn good basis of knowledge (engineering and hobby)to build my own conclusions and this can be brought into this mix... i really cannot be bothered to go scrolling through, i know that you have contradicted yourself in various posts both now and in the past and also provided crap info based upon theoretical situations based on opinions of Craig who happens to work for so and so magazine....you also tend to dwell on points in a conversation to aid your argument whilst ignoring material facts that will draw down your debate (good tactic), whether you do this conciously or not is a matter of opinion.... so Dave be under no disillusion that you are perfect.... i will say one thing though, my S3 would take a wet roundabout better than your M3 any day of any week in any country - Fact

    as for your comments

    4WD is great in most applications - agree
    The S3 is a tarted up A3 - agree although when compared to what? your M3 is a tarted up 3 series but is 'more' tarted up than say a mondeo LX and an ST version.
    4WD on the S3 is universally cack - again, when compared to what? id love to bet it would still hold its own in its class 8L and 8P

    And the things we disagree on:

    Traction advantage in normal driving - couldnt comment
    Traction advantage on wet ground - so if your M3 breaks traction in the wet, that is a good thing?
    Glen can quantify 4% difference on a dyno with a 5% error margin.- you'll have to speak to Glen about that
    Last edited by 1animal1; 30th April 2009 at 13:27.
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

    Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

  16. #135
    Ess_Three's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    5,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bayern View Post
    Glen will argue ALL day regardless of how wrong he is, and so will I,
    Wrong.
    Glen will argue all day to make a point he has seen with his own eyes...against some text book pilot who takes his information from google or DR.


    Glen can quantify 4% difference on a dyno with a 5% error margin.
    You can be really boring when you don't listen to what's been said.
    I'll try to explain again to people who are hard of understanding - ie, you.

    Let's say you dyno an engine at 320 lb-ft. That's a tolerance of 16 lb-ft or so...so 312-328 lb-ft.
    Let's say you now swap the N75, with no other changes...and dyno it again.
    You now get 332 lb-ft...a tolerance of, lets say 17 lb-ft being generous or so...so 323-340 lb-ft.
    Now lets say you do the same tests again, and again and again...each time seeing 10-14 lb-ft of a gain.

    This, in my book, is repeatable.
    I accept that your argument holds water if you took a spot measurement with each N75...but many runs (say, 5 or more with each valve?) and the car did not move between runs.
    You are seriously arguing that it's not repeatable?

    Come on Dave...you are better than that.
    The figures may be accurate to 5%, but the gain is very real.


    Sooo....
    Is any of that really relevant in everyday driving?
    No.

    What's relevant is the point at which the S3s tyres can, or cannot transfer the torque easily to the road...in this case, they can at 320 lb-ft...and cannot at 332 lb-ft.
    Where the slip becomes too great I don't know, nor care.

    The figures could be 100 lb-ft /110 lb-ft...or 500 lb-ft / 540 lb-ft...it's just not relevant.
    Hell it could be measured in elephants for all I care.

    What IS relevant is that there is a finite point at which you can use pretty much full torque in an S3, with fairly complete control of the car, the slip angles and the revs...above that, you have little control, as the wheels spin uncontrolably and the electronics get their knickers in a knot trying to sort it out...at this point the S3 shows it's nasty side and it very unpleasant to control.

    Is THAT really so hard to grasp?


    What have I missed?
    The point, Dave. Again.


    Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

  17. #136
    A3Tom's Avatar
    Smell my finger.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Solihull
    Posts
    3,509


    This threads making me want to go and by a Volvo.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

  18. #137
    Ess_Three's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    5,385
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Tom View Post

    This threads making me want to go and by a Volvo.
    Is that because they use Haldex too?


    Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

  19. #138
    A3Tom's Avatar
    Smell my finger.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Solihull
    Posts
    3,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Ess_Three View Post
    Is that because they use Haldex too?

    Its because they're just really a tarted up household appliance with 4 wheels and hundreds of airbags


    Haldex shmaldex
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

  20. #139
    1animal1's Avatar
    The Clar!! it mouves!!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    9,990
    i bet the Volvo would have done really well on that Top gear challenge where they filled that Sd1 with water and made clarkson go round the track in it :D
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

    Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

 

 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO