some of your EXPERT HELP please!

skittso

Reaction score
Hi im new to this website.. iv bought myself a audi A3 1.6 sport. i was wondering if it is actually possible to put a audi s3 engine in the same model and what would needed to be changed.

basically im starting a project..nothing "chav". just want to build a car from scratch. if you can help please message back or atleast can you direct me to some who may know the anser

cheers

doubt it mate, s3 engine is 4 wheel drive and if i understand correctly the boot sits higher to accomodate the rear axel and drive saft... i could be completly wrong, your going to do a conversion then a 1.8T engine would be a lot easier.

ok i sorter understand what your saying there but i would much prefer to spend money on a s3 engine.

im just doing abit of research before i do anything. this problems that you mentioned. are they going to make it slighty impossible for the car to have the engine swap?

You can swap the 1.8T from an S3 into your car. The 4WD system swap is also possible but a huge amount of work involving cutting out the rear of your car and replacing with the floor from a quattro. Basically not economically viable.

There is a guy on uk-mkivs.net who has fitted an S3 engine into his 1.4 golf (same chassis) and has done a very good job of it too.

However, you have to ask how much you would spend on the parts. With 1.8T 2WD and 4WD prices dropping, then the usual argument of just going out and buying a factory 1.8T always looks attractive. Also insurance would be cheaper than a modified 1.6.

Quick parts list would be the engine (obviously)
Exhaust (some custom though bolt on kits are available from the USA now)
Intercooler + pipework
ECU
Engine loom (OEM or custom mix)
Brakes/suspension
Numerous bolts, bits and bobs from the VAG parts bin as you work through the project.

Whatever you decide, good luck with your project.

Also, the insurance would probably be more for an A3 modded with S3 mechanicals than for a factory S3.

You would of course inform your insurance company of any changes to the car wouldn't you? Otherwise your insurance would be invalid...

Cheers,

Just reading on uk-mkivs.net. The guy who modded his 1.4 golf to an S3 engine and R32 front end only pays £100 more insurance than the standard 1.4. He's with Adrian Flux.

Interesting.

Jeez. He must have been paying quite a lot beforehand...

Cheers,