ICE advice please

campbell

Reaction score
What do you need to install a Alpine IDA-X100 into a S3 replacing the chorus 2 tape cassette HU?

I was thinking of investing in a parrot MKi-9200 but the SOT adpater is £100! wow.

Any help is much appreciated

ok posted it in the ICE section. Just thought i would post it here because i have noticed other S3 drivers have the same HU

As you have a full BOSE system, it's amplified front and back, so you will need the correct harness adapter, radio aerial adapter and facia adapter.

Autoleads parts are cheap and to be completely honest, due to the way the harness adapter works, you will hear a slight hiss at low volumes. For me it was unbearable, so I ended up replacing the whole OEM system, including the sub.

Parts needed (Part numbers are for Autoleads):

Audi A3 aerial adaptor - PC5-90
One-piece facia adaptor - FP18-00
Audi A3 fully-amplified adapter - PC9-408

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if you wanted to upgrade the rest of the system pretty soon as this approach doesn't do the new stereo justice.

Leshkin, you've got the wrong lead thats why your getting that hissing. there are two leads, one with phono cables and one without.. you should try the one with out and there is a brown lead you need to earth properly too.

If this doesnt work you can pick up an interferance suppressor and put it inline with the phono leads leading to the amp and it will completly cut out any interferance. Halfords sell it off the shelf for like £14

Do you also get a pop everytime you turn the volume from 0-upwards?? or vise versa?

Try the suppressor and earth that brown wire first then you see how you get on. If that doesnt solve it you've got the wrong lead - its a minor problem thats easy to fix tho!

campbell you will need the other parts that leshkin said but im not sure if the lead he mentions is right!

I'm pretty sure it's the right cable mate. The isolation device you are referring to is called the ground isolator and this is useful if an aftermarket amplifier is being used as opposed to the OEM amp that powers the BOSE system. In this case the terrible popping sound is present as discussed elsewhere on this forum.

The situation in this case is the OEM BOSE speaker/sub set-up. The harness I listed above is to convert the amplified signal from the after-market HU into a pre-out signal that is expected by the BOSE amp in the boot, as supplied by the OEM HU. In a fully-amplified BOSE system, you will find that the OEM HU has only five wires for the speakers. The fifth being the common ground (or negative) and the other four are positives for each of the speakers.

The hiss I am refering to is the result of converting an already amplified signal from the after-market HU into a pre-out signal for the BOSE amp and then the re-amplification of said signal for the standard speakers.

thinking of ordering the alpine IDA-x100 off halfords, and when i put it in my basket it gives me the fitting options-there is too many! does the chorus 2 have RCA output with bose or speaker output with bose??

So can it be done without the hissing noise?

I couldn't say as I never bothered to sort it out and decided to take out the cheap BOSE speakers and sub and replaced them with some Focal components and AndyMac stealth sub, which made a huge difference.

sorry about the late response, hardly have a chance to sit down these days..

You want the one with the speaker cables, the phono ones are more expensive and make the popping noise due to pioneer and alpine stereo's having really bad earthing.
Anyone who's seriously into they're sounds will tell you to ditch the whole system anyway, but either way.. go for the one with the speaker cable and the little bypass.

=no hissing, no popping. any problems, give me a PM i'd be more than happy to help as i've pretty much rewired my whole system and a countless other audi's too.