Big Puddle - Car starting knocking

MingBluS3

Reaction score
Last night it was really wet and i went through a deep puddle. Anyway when i got through and put my foot down the car started Droning and the exhaust also the exhaust seemed to be vibrating and knocking underneath (i think t was the exhaust anyway) It did it all the way home and sounded fine when i revved it on the drive. Anyway it was fine this morning. It's done this once before but i never posted about it.

Just wondered if anyone else had experience the same thing before.

[ QUOTE ]
MingBluS3 said:
Last night it was really wet and i went through a deep puddle. Anyway when i got through and put my foot down the car started Droning and the exhaust also the exhaust seemed to be vibrating and knocking underneath (i think t was the exhaust anyway) It did it all the way home and sounded fine when i revved it on the drive. Anyway it was fine this morning. It's done this once before but i never posted about it.

Just wondered if anyone else had experience the same thing before.

[/ QUOTE ]

R32's have this proble in the wet! its the driveshaft down the middle.. not sure exactly the cause of it, but its a common occurence apparently.

Rich

I try to avoid deep puddles as the cold water hitting the cats is very bad especially as you will have two that can crack on an S3!

Rich,

cheers for that info, can it be cured? all S3's must suffer from this then? It sounds terrible like it's being drowned

From now on i'll keep clear of the puddles as best as i can.

[ QUOTE ]
MingBluS3 said:
Rich,

cheers for that info, can it be cured? all S3's must suffer from this then? It sounds terrible like it's being drowned

From now on i'll keep clear of the puddles as best as i can.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem mate. I hve heard of other S3's having this prob too... Although as for a cure, i have no idea.

Rich

You would think this must have been thought about when they designed the S3 and R32.

R32's are FWD though arent they? the noise sounds like its coming from the back.

I wonder if the early Quattros suffer from this?

[ QUOTE ]
MingBluS3 said:
You would think this must have been thought about when they designed the S3 and R32.

R32's are FWD though arent they? the noise sounds like its coming from the back.

I wonder if the early Quattros suffer from this?

[/ QUOTE ]

R32's are 4wd... pretty much identical to the S3 just improved on for handling! Im pretty sure its the problem. Sounds identical.

Read the front article on www.uk-mkivs.net says something about it there!

Rich

Yeah does sound correct, very interesting though.

When i think back my first s3 did it a couple of times too and each time it had sorted itself out after a few miles or so. Last night i was near home when i happened and knew it would have drained by the morning.

MingBlue, The problem your describing is the exhaust contracting and suddenly expanding again due to the water and in turn knocking against the front subframe. It only does it when u drive the deep puddles. Audi know about this problem and will replace the offending section with a new one which has the bracket located in a different postion. This is all done under warranty and your dealer should know about the problem too. Give them a ring and see what they say.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

nice one Mo-S3 it's still under warranty for about two months so ill call them on monday.