Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
    2nd Gear

Status

02 Sensor Malfunction?

Hi all i had my engine light come on at the weekend,

I had the Rac out who checked it on their computer it came out as "found o2 sensor circuit bank 1 sensor1 malfunction" The guy was very helpful and said its my pre cat sensor? he said to change it and to check the wiring,

He cleared the fault and it was fine but came back on yesterday so, is it just a case of buying another? do they just fail? i think i have a slight leak somewhere maybe downpipe gasket which i have bought the parts for just not got sorted could this affect it?

it seems a little more heavy on fuel now and when i first start it up smells of petrol from the back, not to sure if this is normal?

Has anyone changed this sensor is it easy to do or a garage job? thanks alot Oski
    2001, Ming Blue, Aluminium Mirrors, Revo!, Bose, Parking sensors, Sunroof,

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Hi sorry to bump, just incase anyone had any info,

Just to update my light has now gone out by its self? i did not know they could do that without being reset?

Is it possible to take the sensor out and clean it? or is it a make or break type of thing?

I phoned up a parts place today it was something like 78 for a new one does this sound about right? cheers Oski

Speeding in reverse gear

Status
    Hi mate, I got the same problem on mine this weekend, but the light doesn't want to go out for me even after clearing the fault codes with vag-com, I got the following:

17524 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating; B1 S1: Open Circuit
    P1116 - 35-00 - -
    17511 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating; B1 S1: Performance too Low
    P1103 - 35-00 - -

From my research I can confirm that the above means that the pre-cat lambda sensor has had it. I got a Bosch replacement for 60GBP from EuroCarParts today via my local friendly mechanic and this part is just as good as the OEM one. If you're really cheap then getting a replacement from E-gay would work out at about 30-40 squid, but you'll have to butcher the plug/wiring from the original to fit it.

This brings me nicely to fitting it.... it looks like a real barstuard of a job, which probably involves removing the turbo plumbing in order to get to the sensor and remove the old/fit the new one...

Here is some of the linkies that I based on my conclusion on:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3833260
    http://briskoda.net/diagnostics-vag-...17511-a/77666/
    http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/17511/P1103/004355

Sorry to hijack your thread Oski, but has anyone fitted one of these and has any pointers on the best way to tackle this?

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks Leshkin, i will try eurocarparts, i just did not want to get anew one if it wont cure the problem, cheers oski

Speeding in reverse gear

Status
    Just sorted mine... had to take the metal turbo pipe (runs on the top/left of the engine) completely off and this made the sensor easier to access. This included removing the metal bracket that holds the pipe in place (top left corner of the engine bay), which was held in place by two hex bolts.

Once the sensor was replaced (a real pain as access is very limited), everything was put back together, the lambda errors were cleared with vagcom. After a bit of a drive, the errors have not returned (in my case they would come back straight away).... result!

Total time taken (with a couple of beer breaks) = 1 hour

Can be done quicker, but I didn't have the correct size spanner to get the sensor out, so had to scrounge from my neighbour. If you are doing this, make sure you have the correct sized spanner with a short handle, as space is very much a problem there.

Hope this helps.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi, i know this is a while away from last post, but im having trouble locating the plug for the O2 sensor on my friend's 1999 Audi A3, 1.6 8v. I can see the sensor, which as you will know is in a difficult spot. But when tracing the wire to the plug, it seems to dissapear behind a metal shield at around the firewall.
    How do i access this, to replace it?
    Cheers,
    Baz.