Help with longitudinal sensor

cawood

Reaction score
hi lads

hoping someone can help me out on this one, got abs light fault on my V-reg 1.8T quattro A3. had it on vag machine and says its longitudinal sensor.

beleive its behind the glove box on my model?

whats it look like?

also are the sensors all the same on different models and years? ie can i get one off a non quattro 1.8T thats say a 2004 model as im trying to source a 2nd hand one as audi want £120! n cant afford that.

are they fitted on other models too, say just a base model 1.6 or an A4? and will they work in mine?

cheers lads:beerchug:

thanks for that bud

so its the small black on on that pic that looks to be incased and that alloy bracket?

the one where you can see the part # sticker?

so is this one mine?

took the side panel off the dash, and took the T25 bolts out, but couldn't get the 3 bolts out from inside the glove box as i couldn't get my screw driver into the gap.

heres a few pics of what i was able to see from the side panel

DSCN3936.jpg

DSCN3937.jpg

also can anyone tell me if these parts are the same no matter what model A3 it is?

or is it only the quattro that has these?

cheers

That's the fella. Looks like you'll have a fairly easy job getting it out. You need to prise off the bracket that goes under the sensor. I found using a small screw driver on one of the tabs either side of the connector, lifting and pushing the tab down, got it off. You can clip it back into place by hand.

The sensor is needed by the Haldex quattro system, but I don't know if it's used on non-quattro as well. Not sure if it's different on earlier/later models, not sure when the ESP was introduced on these cars which may make a difference.

cheers for the help bud.

just need to find out if there the same on non quattro models now, as i've found a 2nd hand one for £40 but its off a 2wd, dont wanna risk buying it to find it dont work

just rang audi n got a helpful guy on the phone.

part # is 1J0907651A

and he says the part is the same on the following models

A2 2000-2005
A3 1997-2003
TT 1999-2005

thats a bit of good news!

If you're local to me (Leek, Staffs), you're welcome to pop round and try the one I have out to see if it works, 40 quid sounds like a fair price so I'll just ask the same.

cheers terrier, thanks for the offer mate, shame im up in west yorkshire, cost me the same in petrol as it would to buy the part new lol

well i got one off a lad on ebay, just fitted it notw, but still getting the same fault!!!! arrghh, starting to do my head in now.

what could it be? is there another sensor a lateral one fitted on the steering column?

could it be that one even though vagcom is saying its the longditudinal one

any ideas where abouts it is n how i get to it?

thanks again bud!

can anyone please shed some light on this? getting a bit stuck now and dont know what to do

cheers

Havve you scanned the car again since fitting the new sensor?

I think you need to recalibrate the sensor in vag.com after fitting the new part - there's a "how to" on the ross tech website.

I've replaced both the longitudinal and lateral sensors in mine without the need to recalibrate, but I don't know with yours as it's a different year.

The lateral one is easy to get at, you just need to remove the cover around the underside of the steering wheel. Remove all the screws (including the ones in the fuse bay) and tease it away from the clip either side of the steering wheel just under the clocks. I find it easier to also unclip the little plastic cover just under the clocks, simply pull back and lift.

Stick you head in the foot well and look up and toward the door side, you'll see it on a metal bracket.

nice one again, terrier, i'll do that this weekend, i just try swapping the longitudunal & lateral sensors over, see if that makes a difference.

and yeah i dont think it needs recalibrating, cheers anyway mike

well still not managed to find the frikking lateral sensor, stripped half the dash out and nowhere to be seen!

I think the locations are different on the facelift models, on mine (early facelift) both sensors were held in place by a copper bracket under the dash to the left odf the steering wheel.

I'm not sure on the pre-facelifts though?

******, wonder where it could be then, as yeah mine is the pre-facelift model.

heres some pics i took

audi001.jpg

audi002.jpg

audi003.jpg

audi004.jpg

audi005.jpg

audi006.jpg

I think Mike's hit the nail on the head, mine is definitely next to the steering column on the drivers side in the big gap where yours obviously isn't. Maybe someone with a pre-facelift can help you out...

yep could be the case, now i just need to find someone with a pre face lift who knows lol

cheers for all the help lads!:respekt:

No worries mate, I've got a bad photo of where mine was located (not a lot of help to you I realise but other members may find it of use).

12072008181.jpg

yep unfortunatley it aint there on mine! lol

thanks again mike

well still no sorted n its MOT time again next week, i've had this fault 3 frikking years now! refuse to pay audi £600

Have a look at vag-cat mate - It's an online parts database for vag cars and shows you where parts are located.

Mine's still playing up even after i've changed the sensors - i've re-scanned the car and done some more digging into the fault code on the ross-tech website. Looks like the fault code can also be "set off" by a bulb not working properly.

My high level brake light has 2 of the 12 LED's out so that's my next port of call in trying to fix this.

well I just picked mine back up from the MOT station, the frikking ,light must have come on during the MOT! failed on ABS, and both rear springs knackered!:banghead:

you still having probs as well!?!? to say this fault is meant to be a common problem it seems very hard to get sorted.

even a gone out bulb can cause this!?! rite i best get checking that as well!, know i have a side light out, but thats only recently gone.

i'll have a scan on that Vagcat, cheers bud

well just rang audi to try n speak to a technician, they wouldn't give me any advice unless i take the car down to them to link up to their machine @ a cost of £99 +VAT, screw that!

just had a look for the vagcat, is it the website www.vagcat.com? another forum? or im a looking in the wrong place

yeah thats the same page i posted, it makes no sense to me:ermm:

ok, my car has just faile MoT on the ABS light......i had the car scanned a few months back and came up with the following?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: Redir Fail!
Part No: 8N0 907 379 C
Component: ABS/EDS 20 IE CAN V003
Coding: 13504
Shop #: WSC 06435
1 Fault Found:
01279 - Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor (G251)
27-00 - Implausible Signal

I called Audi for the Part and they want £107.10 + VAT.....does anyone know where i can get one or is it a stealer only part.
also, the light only comes on when it wants to...what does this suggest? and is a new sensor likely to fix it?

thanks.

yep exact same as mine,

no its a dealer part only, already tried yet

bought a 2nd hand one and that dint work either :( not happy

My ESP light comes on every now and then and flags up the lateral sensor, done it twice tonight. All lateral and longitudanal sensors need calibrating when fitted, one day I'll do mine.

Changed my Longitudinal Accelleration Sensor at the weekend.....End result.....RESULT....ABS Light has gone off and stayed off....not had chance to do another scan yet though to check the fault has gone.
Just need to sling it back through the MoT and we're good for another year

Changed my Longitudinal Accelleration Sensor at the weekend.....End result.....RESULT....ABS Light has gone off and stayed off....not had chance to do another scan yet though to check the fault has gone.
Just need to sling it back through the MoT and we're good for another year

hi every1, i actually bought dave cawood's a3 with the fault and managed to sort it out :) got a new sensor for £110 which made the ABS light flicker on and off intermittently as opposed to as soon as you slammed the throttle hard. the sensor does need coding if the sensor is well outta the parameters. maybe dave's used sensor would have worked if he did the following via vagcom:

VW Golf (1J) Brake Electronics (MK60) - Ross-Tech Wiki

either way, all sorted now :)

True say finesse. May as well set up a £30 a month direct debit to prepare for the inevitable next failure :-'(

So thread revival time.

Ive got the abs light constantly on and scanned the car and yup, its the longitude sensor :/.

So anyone know what the current price is for one? Is the above part number in this thread correct? Is this the right process to recode it:

Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor (G251)

Prerequisites:

System voltage at least 12.0 V.

[Select]
[03 - Brake Electronics]
[Coding-II - 11]
Enter 40168, to enable the basic setting.
[Do it!]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 069
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
After a successful basic setting, field 2 should say "OK".
[Done, Go Back]
To make sure the basic setting was succesful, check the sensor again.
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 006
[Go!]
Check field 1, the value has to be between -1.5 and +1.5 m/s².
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]