what clutch after remap?

edwards_a3

Reaction score
hey guys, in a bit of a pickle! had my 1.8T remapped by custom code just over a week ago, and all was well. unfortunately my clutch has decided to give up and cant deal with the new found power.
another downside to this is that im very low on cash, but obviously dont want to compramise the quality of clutch i get, any recomendations?

many thanks
Matt

I take it yours is a 2WD 1.8T, if so, then a standard clutch is good enough for 320bhp+, you only need an uprated item if you launch all the time or do a bit of trackwork.
RishA3Turbo has been running big turbo IHI power with standard clutch on his 1.8T for quite some time just to confirm.

ah, cool thanks for clearing that up, ive only had the car a few months, not really sure how old the clutch is, so perhaps that is the issue, its just old. Ill get in touch with my mechanic and see what he can sort me out with.
thanks again

I take it yours is a 2WD 1.8T, if so, then a standard clutch is good enough for 320bhp+, you only need an uprated item if you launch all the time or do a bit of trackwork.
RishA3Turbo has been running big turbo IHI power with standard clutch on his 1.8T for quite some time just to confirm.

Richard is very very lucky and an exception to the rule. Fit a new standard clutch and it will most likely start slipping again.

A cheap VAG alternative is the 16v/g60 mk3 golf single mass flywheel coupled with a mk3 golf VR6 pressure and friction plate.
Either that or you can go with one of the after market dual mass items rated to cope with the increased torque.

I had a new clutch fitted to my A3 1.8t when I got it and never had a problem with it in the 3 years I ran it on an AmD map...I'd recommend a standard clutch...

How much is a new OEM one? 2WD and Quattro ones? Just wondering.

its too confusing for little old me, i dont want to spend the money on a clutch that wont last 5 mins. Frenchman who i bought the car off recomended the vr6 option, thanks for your help guys, getting closer to a decision!