Fault codes since remap

Broken Byzan

Photographic Moderator
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys, more than anything i am hoping for clarification. Since the remap our 2001 A3 1.8TQS occasionally fails to start and then throws a code. It will start after several attempts once the ECU has decieded to power up (indicated by the ECM light illuminating)

The secondary pump code is due to crash damage from when she first wrote the car off, so no worries there. The DV is a brand new 710N and all boost connections were checked when i was underneath doing the clutch at the end of last month so i assume its a generic code thrown as the boost requested and actual figures don't match.

The concern is the ROM one, is that the bit that gets flashed when a car is mapped? And do you think this would casue the ECU not to power up?

Codes as follows:
Control Module Part Number: 06A 906 032 BJ
Component and/or Version: 1.8L R4/5VT 0002
Software Coding: 10710
Work Shop Code: WSC 00000
Additional Info: blah blah blah
4 Faults Found:
16989 - Internal Control Module: ROM Error
P0605 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30: Voltage too Low
P1602 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16795 - Secondary Air Injection System: Incorrect Flow Detected
P0411 - 35-00 - -
17705 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!)
P1297 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

anyone have any ideas? Its the Failing to power up an the ROM error that gets me. What else would stop the ECU powering up? And then would that in turn make it show bad ROM, or vice versa?

you've got a chippeduk map if i'm not mistaken? My one throws an overboost error now and again due to the requested and actual boost not matching but I think you need to investigate the Rom and voltage errors.

The ross tech wiki says the following for the voltage error:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/18010/P1602/005634

but there's nothing on the ROM issue. You could email ross tech and ask them about that code?

Maybe your ECU is on it's way out? Read somewhere on VWvortex that this a possible problem with the ECU and might need replacing, but some reported that getting the map reflashed by the company, who originally mapped the car fixed the ECU error.

The above could also be cased by your battery's bad wiring or battery itself being on it's last legs, as per Westle's post, so I would sort that out first and see if the ecu code comes back after clearing it.

Cheers, they both come back sadly. I am still trying to track the ECU/Wiring power fault as when i goes the car wont start. The ROM one i am hoping a re-flash will fix it as surley the ROM is the bit they flash?

I have replaced the ECU relay located under the bonnet, any other suggestions?

Oh and thanks for the replies so far guys

Batery isnt very old and holds charge fine, cranks the car over for ages no probs, the charging system works too according to my trusty old multi meter, but i may swap the a4 one in to be 110% sure its ok

Check elsa to see if terminal 30 has connections to the other parts like secondary air pump etc & if so this could be the problem there, also check ignition, see if this is also on the same term 30 circuit mate, just an idea, but if you're saying only after the map these came up I'd get the map company to reflash or return the ecu to stock & then check for the codes to see if they are caused by the flashing, I doubt its battery given turns over so well, but anythings possible, if the secondary pump isnt getting power then of course this will cause problems.

mines also shows

Internal Control Module: ROM Error

Weird as i was also asked, has it been mapped? Altho has lambda b1 s1 fault and N112 open circuit, which may have something to do with the ROM error....if anyone else can shed some light it would be much appreciated Cheers