S3 Rev'ing its self between 1.k-3k when not in gear, and very hesitant

VTI_EG_DAN

Reaction score
Hey all, im not having very much luck with my car at all :(

its is now rev'ing its self between 1.k-3k when not in gear, and very hesitant when driving. also engine managment light is on.

any ideas what this could be?

cheers

If engine management light on get it checked.

Im sure there must be an idle control unit on the S3. Might be part of the throttle body itself. This may have gone or also the temp sender on the vag engines can cause irratic idling although 1-3k is quite a large variation.

ok thanks mate, well its rev's it self all the way up to 3k, then sounds like it cant go any further, then drops rights down again, then straight up to 3k again :(

yeh brake lights and fog lights are now sorted, and the split pipe changed.

now got this :(

still does this when the car is fully warmed up aswell

it has done it once before, but then after 5 mins it was fine, now it does it all the time

What caused the sporadic airbag/abs/hazards if i may ask? wondering if its related?

Have you tried an adaption of the throttle body?

I never had a problem with any of them....think you may have the wrong person....

nope i havent, going to give throttle body a clean over the weekend

My bad !!

Give it a clean and either use VAGcom to reset, or prvoiding you have your radio code dissconnect your battery for 15 mins and reconnect. Then switch on ign without starting the car for 2mins. Switch off and then re start. That should reset the B after you clean it.
Sorry i got you confused mate

What caused the sporadic airbag/abs/hazards if i may ask? wondering if its related?

Have you tried an adaption of the throttle body?

That was me, and it turned out to be a dodgy earth somewhere.

Fingers crossed so far so good!

Could VTI's problem be a maf sensor?? I have slight Idle issues at the moment but the other way when the revs drop it nearly cuts out before settling at 750RPM

VTI is this like yours when its not revving its ****** off???

What you are describing can be either MAF or Trottle body... Cleaning both with mechanical alcohol or vodka (or petrol - carefull with those matches :) ) might help. As stated above, you would then need to realign the throttle body.

I had the idle hunting issue on my old 1.8T and this was cured with this approach. The MAF getting fouled up is probably due to an aftermarket air filter i was running.

So if the maf appears to be broke then would cleaning help restore it back full working health?

there is a rubbish on cone filter on my car, could this of mucked up the MAF? was on the car when I got it.

so you guess suggest cleaning the maf and throttle body?

Alot of people say the oil thats on the cones kill's the maf but alot of things can kill it though

ok i just check everything i got with the car, and it had a brand new oem maf 2 months ago, so i guess it cant be that?

runs like a bag of **** when u unplug lol just tried that, sounds awfull.

I had a vacuum leak before, and fixed that, car sounded totaly different to it did with that.

at moment its not rev'ing to 3k anymore, which is strange :S its reving at about 1.5k, and stay that when totaly warmed up aswell

Just come back from the misses and on my way thought id unplug the maf and try the car, to be far there was hardly any difference, if the maf was knackered would i have been able to tell, i.e. would it have pulled harder etc?

had all 4 coil packs replaced aswell, when i un pluged mine, kept sounding like it was about to stall, didnt sound healthy at all