Annoying noise from back of the car.

vrbob

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!
Reaction score
My S3 has developed a really annoying noise which sounds like it is coming from the back of the car on the passenger side.

It all started after i changed my back disks and pads not long back. Everything went ok on the change over and all was ok for a couple of weeks. I then started to notice a sort of tapping sound which is sort of random in occurance but if you use the brakes it goes away this even works if you put the handbrake on 1 click whilst moving.

I have since taken the brakes apart and checked it over and it all seems tight and as it should be.

The only thing i sort of thought it was is there are 2 bolts on the caliper which i can only describe a sleeve bolts eg one side is a hollow tube and the other is a bolt so you hold the sleeve with a spanner whilst tightening the bolt with another spanner. Anyway i bought 4 new bolts from audi (they wouldn't sell me the sleeve part of the bolt) and fitted them and all seemed ok for about 50 miles and now the noise has come back.

Asking for any ideas for a solution please.

What sort of noise? A tick tick, a banging, a grinding?

I had an annoying noise, only when going round corners.... it was the locking nut in the boot for my Audi wheels!

I know you said a tapping noise... just wondered how loud it was and how often... like does it get faster the faster you drive... then you slow down it gets slower?

How about the brake dust cover near the Disk's?

Its not overly loud it just sounds like metal on metal like you were hitting 2 bolts together.

It does get faster if you go on the motorway etc but as i said it goes if you use the brakes of the handbrake so it has to be something brake related.

thanks for the help bl 1969 i looked at the dust covers and they are ok i think its defo got something to do with thoise sleeve bolts as i did get the noise to stop for a while. Perhaps i will have to look into getting the sleeve part of the bolt next but audi told me they were only sold as part of a caliper kit.

What brand Pads did you use? It sounds like pad rattle. its where some aftermarket pads move ever so slightly in the holder and rattle on bumps etc

What brand Pads did you use? It sounds like pad rattle. its where some aftermarket pads move ever so slightly in the holder and rattle on bumps etc

I bought them off fleabay and they were menat to be mintex but werent so i got them for free in the end after involving paypal.

They look exactly the same as the oem ones i took off and fit very snug in the caliper so not sure it is that. Is there anyway to check??

cheers Byzan again for the heads up,

i have been out in the car and it does sound like it might be the pads in the rear passenger side rattling will try to have a look soonish.

did you grease the pins ??? Also how snugg a fit are the pads ?? they should be quite tight to the bits they slide on. Also oem pads come with a sticker on the rear of the pad did yours ???

The pads fitted pretty snug but i didnt grease anything as i always get worried with grease near brakes etc..

The pads were not OEM they were fleabay specials that meant to be mintex but were not. They did look identical to the OEM ones i took off though.

Is it speed related? Do you hear it a low speeds or just at motorway speeds at say @ 65/70mph? Does the ticking/clicking sound get quicker with increased speed?

does it only happen if you are going over a bumpy road.....and cant really be heard inside the car unless yu've got the radio off and the window down??

If so I have the same issue. I've had a mechanic in work look at it and he thinks its the rear pads hitting off the disc...would that sound rite to you?

Not really speed related am getting more and more convinced that it is the pads rattling.

The noise is only really heard when the radio is off and you turn your head to listen to the back of the car (you would defo hear it if you were sat in the back seat). The noise does seem to coincide with small bumps in the road so when i get a chance i will whip the wheels off and see if i can sort it.

Has anyone heard of a rubber backing you can get to eliminate this otherwise i may just get some more pads instead.

yeh, exactly what im getting....i think its the pads knocking.....but if you find out you can let me know....the fact that it disappears with the handbrake on 1 click would make it look that way....

Once i work it out will post my results :)

my pads came with a rubber sticky pad on the back, if ours didn`t then it may well be that.

wondered what that pad was for lol

Got some cheapish pads form a local auto parts shop which although very similar to the ones i put on seem to fit alot tighter plus they also had some sort of rubber coating on the back of the pad. Anyway i have fitted them today so will see if the noise is still there or returns after a couple of days.

will post back either way

was talking to one of the mechanics in work today....he says it wud almost definately be the pads - he reccomended ether buying new ones or putting copper grease on the top and bottom of them!! let us know how u get on with the new pads! is the rubber bit on the back of the pads not for the wear sensor???

Interesting that you mentioned this.. recently at low speeds my rear driver side wheel/brakes have been making like a subtle high pitched squeeking sound and get faster/closer together as i move and then stop when i get past like 20mph..

While we're on a simular subject can anyone shed some light on this, don't mean to hijack at all? I havnt even had a look at it yet to be honest, just reminded me!

hmmmmm, a squeaking noise......u sure its not a shock???? if you open your boot lid and push down on the bumper and let go - sort of "bouncing" the car....can you hear it??

No, its definatly rotational, certain part of the disc I reckon, just rubs and makes an eek noise.. the shocks are a £400 set from KW, i really doubt they'd squeek. But thanks for the response.

i see....you've maybe just got a stone or something lodged inbetween the pad and the disc....if you take the pads out and rub them against a course surface...ie a wall or something, that should take ne sh*t off them!

Well been driving with the new pads for a couple of days now and so far no noises at all from the back of the car so i think i ca happily say annoying noise has been fixed :)

Cheers for the advice guys and for those of you with your own annoying noise i hope you get them solved soon.

I was gonna suggest a shim, but everyone else got in there first (several times!) Basically sticks the pad to the piston and stops rattles and squeaks...

Well been driving with the new pads for a couple of days now and so far no noises at all from the back of the car so i think i ca happily say annoying noise has been fixed :)

Cheers for the advice guys and for those of you with your own annoying noise i hope you get them solved soon.

Glad to be of service !!

Seriously, it's nice to hear there was a simple resolution. I am aslo glad you postedi t to help anyone else who may encounter the same problem