Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

Steering to the left!!!

Audi A3 1.8T Quattro 2000 Merlin Purple

Have had my car tracked and double checked that the tracking aligment is correct but my car still moves to the left if i hold my steering straight. The bloke at the garage seemed to think it could be the wishbone bushes? Is there any truth in this?

I have had a tie/track rod replaced recently but this didn't remedy the problem either!

Any ideas?
    New Ride: MY10 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8TFSI , Phantom Black, S- Line, Black Editon, 18" Rotars
    Old Ride: Audi A3 1.8T Quattro Sport, Heated Recaro Black Leather, Merlin Purple, 18" RS4's

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    How bad is the pull? If only slight i wouldn't worry as these cars tend to pull slightly in my experience.

Only other question is who did the alignment and whether they were using appropriate 4 wheel alignment equipment?

Top Gear
    Cell-Out Champion

Status
    might be a stupid question, but did you check the tyre pressures?

and as said above, a proper 4 wheel alignment must be done, not the tracking at the normal tyres places
    Last edited by abdus; 7th April 2009 at 20:36.
    ^^ In my opinion

5th Gear

Status
    hi, mine does the excate same problem. ive had it on a 4 wheel laser alignment and they said it was a bend front N/S strut. i folked out and bought a weitec full lowering susspension and guess what, it still does it. ive replaced the bottom wishbones too and still does it. ive just come to the fact that theres nothing to be done.
    Audi A3 1.8 Turbo, Wietec Ultra GT 40mm kit, 3" Full Custom Stainless Steel Exhaust, Custom Code stage 1 remap, 17" RS4 Alloys, Whiteline ARB

Smell my finger.

Status
    Mine does it a bit on certain roads which I'm putting down to camber. It had a full 4 wheel alignment less than 3 weeks ago.

On very flat roads it seems fine, try seeing if it does it in the middle of a big carpark or something.

My birds TT does it too, seems to follow the camber on the road all the time, it also tramlines a lot on the motorway on the grooves on the inside lane.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

4th Gear

Status
    as abdus says check your pressure is equal and also could be different tread depths on each tire
    8P S3

3rd Gear

Status
    Mine pulls left slightly too!

But then again i get a lot of wear on the inside of the o/s/f Tyre, Ive had the tracking done which was quite a bit out which helped a little but still need a 4 wheel alignment done i think as the wear is still getting worse.

Anyone know of a good place to get the alignment in Suffolk area, preferably Ipswich/Colchester

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Must be a Purple thing, our TQS does it too, but i did notice wear on the front rear wishbone bush, so am hoping its that

Neutral

Status
    Mine does it too.i've had the 4 wheel alignment done not long ago and all the tyres are at the same pressure.i've just got used to it doing it now unless there's a cure for it

Neutral

Status
    Yep I've checked the tyre pressure on all four tyres as I thought it could have been that and the tracking was done on all four wheels.

The tyres on the car are relatively new but the front passenger tyre had more wear than the others I take it this is due to the pulling to the left

By the reply's I get the feeling its not too much of a problem and I'm no the only one with the problem!!!

Is it best to get the wishbone bushes done or replace the complete wishbones?

Just for clarification what tyre pressure do you guys have for front and rear? This is what I have. (18inch Tyres)

Front - 31
    Rear - 30

Thanks
    Last edited by selector007; 8th April 2009 at 12:49.
    New Ride: MY10 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8TFSI , Phantom Black, S- Line, Black Editon, 18" Rotars
    Old Ride: Audi A3 1.8T Quattro Sport, Heated Recaro Black Leather, Merlin Purple, 18" RS4's

Third Gear

Status
    Mine has the same problem, had four wheel laser alignment done, new tyres all round, and it still happens. I know that with a standard et up, there are a few things which can not be adjusted, and very rarely will you get everything perfectly lined up.
    You also need a special tool to adjust the Audi's and without it, you need to make shift a solution [which we did] which means you do not get everything bang on.

I have a print out of all my settings, and there is a very slight difference on them, may have to get the list and see what people have to say........

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status
    Mine did this quite heavily, but having the wheels properly balanced (when the rims were being refurbed) solved it. Not sure why or how, but it did the job for me
    > S3 225 (03) - OEM+
    > 205 GTI (90) - Limited Edition Miami Blue with full leather - 1 of only 300 made
    > Clio v6 255 (05) - Lethal Weapon

View: My S3 diary

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Mine pulls very slightly left too on uneaven roads. I'm running standard everything. I haven't noticed any unusual tyre wear and I run my tyres at 34/30psi
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

5th Gear

Status
    Every VAG car i've had has done this - I remember reading somewhere that they are designed to pull to the left ever so slightly as a "safety feature".

I'm not quite sure how that helps if your doing in excess of the national speed limit on a motorway though...
    S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8's & Eibach Springs, Neuspeed ARB's (22mm front & 19mm rear).

Badger 5's Machined Discs with DS2500 pads & HEL braided lines.

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeA3 View Post
    Every VAG car i've had has done this - I remember reading somewhere that they are designed to pull to the left ever so slightly as a "safety feature".

I'm not quite sure how that helps if your doing in excess of the national speed limit on a motorway though...
    Not too safe if you drive abroad

It does seem that this is a common thing though
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread