cleaning up bodywork help??

nath-w

Reaction score
ive got a few small scratches and stone chips on a few panels on my car and a little scrape on my bumper. ive been told to wet and dry the scrape then t-cut it over. however i dont really want to go near my paintwork with wet and dry in case i make it worse. do you think i should just go over it with cutting compound and then t-cut??

Stone chips are a nightmare, I have a few and the only real what to get rid of them is to touch them up and then flat down the high spots and polish with a machine polisher.

Scratches depending how deep they are can be worked out with a machine polish also. I got rid of a load on mine buy buying a machine, various pads and polishes and going at them with it all.

For a start you can get a clay bar and give your car claying. The reason for that is to get rid of ALL the crud bonded to the paint. That will give you a decent basis for a polish. You could start off with something like Autoglym Super Resin Polish as its cheap and easy to get hold of. Buy some decent applicator pads and give it a going over. After that you'll need to apply a wax, get some Collinite as its super cheap and really hard wearing. I use it on my car and it gives great results. Get a few microfibres and you'll be laughing.

The super resin polish can fill slight scratches so it shoud be an improvement if you dont want to shell out for a machine polisher or a full corrective detail etc.

Thats if the scratches arent too bad and through the paint etc.

T

thanks for the quick reply. yeh the scratches aren't deep or through the paint, its just when you polish the car it looks lovely apart from all the small scratches become more visible. i think im going to go and buy the super resin polish and some proper applicator pads and give it a good going over this weekend as ive got 4 days off!!

thanks for the quick reply. yeh the scratches aren't deep or through the paint, its just when you polish the car it looks lovely apart from all the small scratches become more visible. i think im going to go and buy the super resin polish and some proper applicator pads and give it a good going over this weekend as ive got 4 days off!!

SRP will do a good enough job but you will need a machine polish to get it looking mint.

Just make sure you get a decent wax to apply over the top of it to give it a bit of protection.