EM TuningSky Insurance
    5th Gear

Status

No More Vibrations

As some of you may be aware, I changed my clutch and Dm flywheel a while back, due to them being buggered. The original flywheel and clutch face had become distorted due to some, idiotic playtime fun in the snow last winter.

Anyway I decided to change the clutch for an uprated version and after some investigation and recomendations, I opted for the MTM paddle clutch. This is basically a new friction plate which works with the original pressure plate and bearing. All newly fitted along with a new DM flywheel.

What a lot of you arnt aware of is that I was well p*ssed off with the change, as I ended up with a horrible vibration when pulling away, having to lift the revs up to around 1500-2000rpm to pull away without any vibration. I was even considering giving it back to my mate to pull to bits and fit a standard friction plate.

I hadnt drove the S3 for a few weeks as I've just got a new shiney work mule (Astra TD Van) so this weekend I decide to blow out a few cobwebs. To cut a long story short I hammered it quite a bit, as I was a bit [censored] off with the thought of shelling out another 600 to change the friction plate.

After giving it a hammering I was driving back into town and gues what - NO MORE VIBRATIONS - woooohoooooooo.

Thinking about it, I think with the friction plate and the DM Flywheel both being brand new, I think it has taken this long, approx 1000mls, and the hammering to bed in properly. I'n now well happy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

All I need to do now is fit the new dog bone mount and hey presto, perfect clutch again. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

...Watching you!

Status

Re: No More Vibrations

[ QUOTE ]
    r88per said:
    As some of you may be aware, I changed my clutch and Dm flywheel a while back, due to them being buggered. The original flywheel and clutch face had become distorted due to some, idiotic playtime fun in the snow last winter.

Anyway I decided to change the clutch for an uprated version and after some investigation and recomendations, I opted for the MTM paddle clutch. This is basically a new friction plate which works with the original pressure plate and bearing. All newly fitted along with a new DM flywheel.

What a lot of you arnt aware of is that I was well p*ssed off with the change, as I ended up with a horrible vibration when pulling away, having to lift the revs up to around 1500-2000rpm to pull away without any vibration. I was even considering giving it back to my mate to pull to bits and fit a standard friction plate.

I hadnt drove the S3 for a few weeks as I've just got a new shiney work mule (Astra TD Van) so this weekend I decide to blow out a few cobwebs. To cut a long story short I hammered it quite a bit, as I was a bit [censored] off with the thought of shelling out another 600 to change the friction plate.

After giving it a hammering I was driving back into town and gues what - NO MORE VIBRATIONS - woooohoooooooo.

Thinking about it, I think with the friction plate and the DM Flywheel both being brand new, I think it has taken this long, approx 1000mls, and the hammering to bed in properly. I'n now well happy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

All I need to do now is fit the new dog bone mount and hey presto, perfect clutch again. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent mate! Just bedding in time i guess. Had a similar thing with my brakes... they were crap at first! tried bedding them in the way i read on many sites and not alot worked...ended up glazing the pads a bit which p1ss3d me off a bit. So took the pads off, rubbed them down on the emery to remove the glaze, then put them back in. Better but still not great so i thought f*ck it, i'll do it my way. Down the local country lane race track on a sunny sunday afternoon with no traffic round sweeping corners and double hairpins. Did the circiut once and though "cool theyre working well now.." so i went and did it again.. WHAT a difference! was bloody excellent and i had a grin from ear to ear. Glad to hear its sorted now! Will be changing clutches within a few months whether it be on this car or the next so all good info to know!

Rich

5th Gear

Status

Re: No More Vibrations

Yeah Rich, I'm well happy now.

re the brakes - this is the way I've always bedded mine in - I read it somewhere on the net - gradual breaking to get them up to temperature, then a couple of 100kph [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif[/img] - 0mph breaking. It was something to do with conditioning the pads.