Another boost gauge question (again)

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Alright guys, I'm in the process of fitting my new boost gauge to my S3, and want to know where I need to get the feed from in the engine. I have done a search and can only find this pic:

71551-boost_line.jpg

Which shows the feed coming off the Fuel pressure regulator (FPR) line. The thread recommends that I don't use this feed due to possible detonation and engine damage. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Joe

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
Alright guys, I'm in the process of fitting my new boost gauge to my S3, and want to know where I need to get the feed from in the engine. I have done a search and can only find this pic:

71551-boost_line.jpg

Which shows the feed coming off the Fuel pressure regulator (FPR) line. The thread recommends that I don't use this feed due to possible detonation and engine damage. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

I would tkae it off of the vacuum line to the DV.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
That looks like my engine bay!

[/ QUOTE ]

Your car is going to detonate dude! :p /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

[ QUOTE ]
pure said:
[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I read this somewhere before as well.

How does tapping a line off the FPR cause detonation?

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
Rich, I've got an AmD viper DV, and I presume the vacumm line is the thin tube coming out the top right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
pure said:
[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I read this somewhere before as well.

How does tapping a line off the FPR cause detonation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Imola S3, it is indeed your engine bay, I think that tapping into the FPR can cause detonation because if the pipe was to accidently come loose (touchwood), then you would get irregular fuel pressure hence det. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Cheers for the info Rich, I'll have a go now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Joe

hi all
You should fit the boost gauge in the line to the fuel pressure regulator this is where Defi recomend it is fitted,also the gauge should not be fitted on a line with any soleniod valves on it as this causes the gauge to read wrong and behave erratically.it should be in a line with direct manifold vacuum/pressure.
the dump valve vac line has more than one solenoid valve operating on it before the dump valve.
cheers " Bingo "

Not wanting to be pedantic but if i'm going to do this myself, and not wanting to offend anyone but which is the right feed to tap into?? Cause thats 3 different ones now and I don't want to knack my car!!

I can't believe this thread, I was told at Star to use the feed on the FPR, but it does make sense that if you have an air leak, the fuel pressure will be incorrect leading to under fueling = detonation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

And I have an air leak just behind my gauge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Think that will be getting changed as soon as I get home.

Only thing is, as Imola S3 said, thats AMD + Star BOTH said that this is where you take you feed from??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
The FPR line is best avoided, any problems resulting from split hoses etc can cause engine problems (There's a very slim chance of this though). Find another source for total piece of mind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I still argue that if a reputable tuner such as AmD install boost gauges from the FPR pipe then it can't be that bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh it's only a minor point mate, it's just my view that there are plenty of other lines to tap into so why do otherwise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Can anyone recommend a good gauge that matches nicely with the s3 interior(maybe even lights up red?) Can you buy the pillar mounting pods anywhere?

Cheers
Chris.

A-Pillar mounts can be bought from your usual performance accessory shop, i.e. Halfords/Ripspeed, Demon Tweeks etc.

As for gauges, it's all down to personal preferences.

If you have a split on any of the pipes it will affect all pipes as they are all connected together.
Also the pressure is changing all the time from negative pressure on overrun to positive pressure on full boost.

Yeah, I'm still scratching my head on this one/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif, think I'll use the feed Rai recommended, as its easiest to get to. The weathers not helping though.

T3OGUE, I got my boost gauge from maxy live, and it has a button to change the LED's to 7 different colours, one being the same red as the dash. Will post pics when I get it on, up and running.

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
I got my boost gauge from maxy live, and it has a button to change the LED's to 7 different colours, one being the same red as the dash. Will post pics when I get it on, up and running.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very Max Power! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Hi guys, finally got some time to fit (or shall I say plumb in) my boost gauge, decided to take the feed directly coming of the manifold as suggested by Rai, nowhere near the FPR and easy access.

Just wanted to ask where the best place to get a power feed for the gauge to light up my maxpower lights. Things seem a bit tight underneath an S3 dash, so no access to wires, even with the whole glovebox removed. I've tried removing the headlight switch surround, and no luck behind there. And my concert stereo seems stuck, don't really want to do an Andymac demolition job just to get to some wires, as its working perfectly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Any suggestions?

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
Hi guys, finally got some time to fit (or shall I say plumb in) my boost gauge, decided to take the feed directly coming of the manifold as suggested by Rai, nowhere near the FPR and easy access.

Just wanted to ask where the best place to get a power feed for the gauge to light up my maxpower lights. Things seem a bit tight underneath an S3 dash, so no access to wires, even with the whole glovebox removed. I've tried removing the headlight switch surround, and no luck behind there. And my concert stereo seems stuck, don't really want to do an Andymac demolition job just to get to some wires, as its working perfectly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you ahve to keys for the stereo it should just slip out with little or no fuss... The stereo is by far the easiest place to get the power feed from

Rich

Don't listen to Rich, he'd have you tapping your boost gauge line into your DV! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Sorry mate... can't help, I got somebody to install it for me.

Jojo,

Star Performance took it from the fuse box on mine. Dead easy, take of the cap on the side of the dash undo all the screws and take a feed from the back of the box. You can take it either from the fuse that feeds the dash lights, but then the lights will be on all the time or you can take it from the light relay fuse so they come on with your lights.

By the way, on the subject of taking the feed from the FPR, I spoke to Star straight after work and it turns out that if there is a leak, there will be more fuel being ran which wouldn't cause detination (small but v-expensive explosion) so there are no worries of taking the feed from this point.

Just to clear that last point up!

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
Don't listen to Rich, he'd have you tapping your boost gauge line into your DV! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Sorry mate... can't help, I got somebody to install it for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Looking at the headlight switch assembly, use the light blue wire on the headlight switch - will permit dimming control on the gauge too (assume the S3 is the same as the TT)

Pic (thanks to blue ttp from audiworld):

PICT0149-vi.jpg

Cheers Rai for the info, but you TT guys seem to have it easy for access to anything behind the dash. My S3 (pre-facelift) dash requires the whole lotta stripping to get to that light switch plug, then you require hands of a small variety to get to the wiring, unless i'm doing something wrong.

I've tried to get to the fuse box as ScotSTHREE suggested, on undoing all the bolts, there's this thin grey wire in my way, not sure what its for, but prevents me from removing the plastic surround. Doesn't seem to be part of the S3 wiring, but it's there for a reason I guess, anyone got any ideas what it is? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anyway, rant over, gonna have another go in a mo'

Remove the stereo and take the feed fron the dimming control live. Its usually easy to find and should be orange with a white stripe, check it with a multi meter. You should get 12V when you turn on your light switch. This will make the gauge light up only when you have your lights on!

Ok, got it sorted at last! Just found out the ashtray is only held in by one screw, so took it off and got the +ve and -ve feeds from the ciggy lighter, and used the illumination wire from the LED underneath the ashtray for a switch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif . Decided to place the gauge under the dash, below and left of the steering column. Will post some pics soon.