A3T stereo questions

I

imported_BARA

Hi everyone,

I have just purchased a 98/99 A3T (sydney australia).. and i have a few questions regarding the sound system.

I really dont want to change the factory head unit (although i have an expensive one from my last car ready to go in).. cos i want to retain the factory look :p

the system it came with from what the dealer told me:
- 6 speaker system
- am/fm cassette
- 10 (from memory) cd stacker (the brand is blaupunkt... is that how its spelt? hehe)

so here are my questoins:

1. do the factory audi a3 head units have rca outputs at all?? as i have subs/amp i would like to connect to the factory deck... if not, how can i run the subs and amp with the factory deck?

2. whats the quality of the speakers/head unit in audis like?

3. are the front speakers any good? or should i replace them with my Focal splits? the focals are 6.5 inch, would they fit? is it possible to fit the focal tweeters in the factory tweeter location in the doors?? if not, where is a good place to mount the tweeters?

ps i've put a deposit on the a3 and will pick it up by next week, so i dont exactly know every detail of the factory system it came with!

cheers and thanks in advance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hey Bara,

Welcome to the Forum (it's probably a bit rich me saying that as I've not been here so long myself - but it's the thought that counts!).

Congratulations on your purchase!

I'm not certain if any differences between UK and Australian versions would affect any of this, but if your HU is the same as the one I've just taken out of my A3, it does indeed have RCAs. I think all (?) factory HUs for A3 have RCAs as the back speakers and a little sub above your passengers side rear wheel-arch are powered from a baby amp.

As far as it being a Blaupunkt, you're on the money there too, Blaupunkt OEM for Audi (and about another 4,974,392 car manufacturers) - if you do take it out you'll probably see it badged with a Blaupunk 7 ... ... model number.

The quality of the Head Unit itself doesn't seem half bad, I must say I've heard a lot worse from factory, and also aftermarket (like say, Kenwood for instance (awaits flames)). I do think it running a pair of active speakers and a sub assists the overall impression it gives though.

As for the quality of the speakers, I'd say they're a bit waft really - I'm not certain about the components in the doors (the previous owner of mine had left some Pioneers in), but the co-axials in the back panels were paper-cone superstars! (you can see one at http://www.robvanguard.co.uk/a3/install/ - about halfway down the page it gets pulled out and laid next to its successor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

For the front doors you're going to need 130mm components (5 inch?) - probably with adapter rings because Audi's speakers have one less screw than aftermarket ones - I was worried about depth too but I got some reasonably phatt magnets to go in the hole /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
If you have a look at that URL above you'll see the midwoofer being mounted and directly underneath the replacement tweeter going in up by the door handle (you can relax about that one btw - so long as your new one fits, it just goes in behind a little clip).

Anyway, have peep at the JPEGs on the links below and you should be able to see what you need as far as RCAs on the HU is concerned (provided it's the right HU of course!)...

http://www.robvanguard.co.uk/a3/install/concert_front.jpg
http://www.robvanguard.co.uk/a3/install/concert_map.jpg

And here's what I switched mine for...
http://www.robvanguard.co.uk/a3/install/dab54_box.jpg

Anyway, hope that's cleared it up for you, if not, feel free to hit me with a PM if you need to (I've done a lot of work on the Audio rig in mine so I've had most of the headaches - and I can pick Blaupunkt's brains for you through work) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,

Rob.

Hi Bara

Just to add to Robs post, the speakers are shockingly bad in Audi's so replace them ASAP although you will need to make fitment adapters (spacer rings) as the fitting isn't standard.
The HU is pretty dire too unfortunately and I would strongly recommend a replacement. They do have front & rear pre-outs, but you will need the Blaupunkt RCA adapter to get to them (about $20).
The front speakers are only 4" drivers with 1" tweeters, but you can go up to 5.25" (not sure about 6.5"). The tweeter are easy to upgrade as long as your new ones are 1". They are simply held in position with a bracket.
There are loads of hints & tips on this forum & in the ICE section if you get stuck.

thanks boys you're legends!

if the HU is that bad then i'll replace it....

- so the front takes up to 5.25 inches and 1 inch for the tweeter?
- what about the rear/woofer? where would you guys mount the crossovers for the splits?
- how easy/difficult is it to pull apart panels on an audi to complete the installation of speakers and HU?
- what about running the rcas/power cable to the boot?
- is the carpet easy to remove?
- where exactly is the factory woofer and amp in the a3s??

sorry for all the questions!

cheers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

The amp for the woofer and rear speakers is inside the so called sub, rear left cubbyhole in the boot. If you really want to upgrade the system you need to think about a proper sub (or one of my stealth subs).
The panels are relatively easy to get off. The rears are held on with spring clips all round and you need to open the rear window and prise up the window rubber. Also take out the back seat bases and fold down the rear seats to make it easier. you need to remove the door sill trim as well (prise it up in the middle so it unhooks from each end). There is plenty of info on here about trim removal.
The front door panels are very easy. 2 screws at each end, then one screw behind the grab handle to release the plastic cuff, remove the cuff by pushing it down and then remove the 2 main screws behind it. The panel then just lifts up and out. Release the door release wire (it just unhooks) and the elec window and speaker looms just unclip.
You don't need to remove any carpet. If you want to run power to the boot there is a brilliant thread under Power Cable in the ICE section.
The Xovers can be mounted behind the relevant panels.