S3: Will this fit an AMK engine?

Short answer, yes mate!

I have the same engine and have spoken to many tuners. They say that this very intake pipe to the turbo is different between our engines and the BAM.

The ECU map is also slightly different to accomodate the changes.

G

No mate, get a silicone TIP if you want anything at all.... that fits a K03 A3 but not the K04 on an S3

<tuffty/>

... just to clarify..

That TIP is a bolt on job and thats how it fits on early A3's with a K03, mine is an AMK S3 like yours and the OEM TIP is rubber and fixes straight on to the turbo inlet. Silicone TIP will do the same.

That one has a silly fitting clip much like the radiator pipes do..

<tuffty/>

Cheers...yeah the clip thingy looks a bit funny. So you're saying that a "regular" TIP will do the trick. No need for this then? Any special TIP's you would recommend?

Just to clarify further....

NOTE: This inlet pipe is designed to work with 5-speed, 6-speed, and automatic transmissions. For use on 1999-2000 non-variable cam timing engine with factory K03 or K04 turbos, or on 2001-up variable cam timing engine applications with K04 turbo only

So as you can see it does fit. It wouldn't matter if it was rubber as standard or not as either would still have to be clamped/bolted into place.

I'd go for it mate. If i had extra funds to burn then i'd get one myself!

G

The only real prob with the OEM TIP is that it is prone to collapse on itself at high revs restricting airflow, some have a reinforcing metal insert in which sorts, later models have stronger/thicker ribbing to prevent the collapse from happening. Mostly the silicone TIP wil solve this as its stronger especially when the engine bay gets warm plus it looks good.

Performance wise it doesn't really do much, some report the engine seems to be more responsive, others report that you can hear the turbo spooling and the DV working more clearly... swings and....

I have an Autobahnn 88 TIP I got from ebay for about £60, its fine, no drama and looks good.

<tuffty/>

Just to clarify further....

NOTE: This inlet pipe is designed to work with 5-speed, 6-speed, and automatic transmissions. For use on 1999-2000 non-variable cam timing engine with factory K03 or K04 turbos, or on 2001-up variable cam timing engine applications with K04 turbo only

So as you can see it does fit. It wouldn't matter if it was rubber as standard or not as either would still have to be clamped/bolted into place.

I'd go for it mate. If i had extra funds to burn then i'd get one myself!

G

Yeah I'm gonna upgrade as much as I can so when I saw this I figured hmm why not. Still I find it hard to see how a silicone TIP like this one: http://cgi.ebay.de/Ansaugschlauch-A...14&_trkparms=72:1229|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318 will have ant hing to do with the first inlet pipe I linked to...

So please clarify some more...where does the Neuspeed pipe sit and what is it's function...please no funny remarks as I'm new to these turbo engines and I learn everyday...so where is it at, a picture or a simple drawing will help to visualize further... ;-)

Dennis i think that the Silicone/Rubber pipework connects to this Metal Turbo Intake. I'd be very suprised if Neuspeed made an inlet that had no purpose or could be compared with a rubber/silicone one.

I'm new to this turbo lark too. I'm no expert!

G

All I can say mate is that part won't fit my 2001 facelift AMK S3, there is no provision on my turbo for it to fit and its completely the wrong design/fitment for it.... mines a VVT with ESP, the TIP fits straight onto the turbo inlet with a jubilee clip. The only car I have seen this kind of TIP on was a W reg A3, Mat20vt's car in fact as Badger Bill was removing his turbo ready for his BT conversion...

<tuffty/>

The only real prob with the OEM TIP is that it is prone to collapse on itself at high revs restricting airflow, some have a reinforcing metal insert in which sorts, later models have stronger/thicker ribbing to prevent the collapse from happening. Mostly the silicone TIP wil solve this as its stronger especially when the engine bay gets warm plus it looks good.

Performance wise it doesn't really do much, some report the engine seems to be more responsive, others report that you can hear the turbo spooling and the DV working more clearly... swings and....

I have an Autobahnn 88 TIP I got from ebay for about £60, its fine, no drama and looks good.

<tuffty/>

Cheers, will look into that 88 pipe!

Dennis i think that the Silicone/Rubber pipework connects to this Metal Turbo Intake. I'd be very suprised if Neuspeed made an inlet that had no purpose or could be compared with a rubber/silicone one.

I'm new to this turbo lark too. I'm no expert!

G

Cheers Mate...but look further down. Might not fit?!?

All I can say mate is that part won't fit my 2001 facelift AMK S3, there is no provision on my turbo for it to fit and its completely the wrong design/fitment for it.... mines a VVT with ESP, the TIP fits straight onto the turbo inlet with a jubilee clip. The only car I have seen this kind of TIP on was a W reg A3, Mat20vt's car in fact as Badger Bill was removing his turbo ready for his BT conversion...

<tuffty/>

Oh, so then it prolly won't fit mine as mine is the AMK, never thought I have VVT...thought that were only on the 225 engines. I have ESP of course...

Ok my bad...Neuspeed can have it ;-)

well, depends on your interpretation of standard :eyebrows:

...however... my engine and turbo are standard fitment, my mates A3 1.8TQS has a K03 and the metal pipe as does Mat20vt's A3 1.8TQS (although not for much longer)

Looked it up on ETKA and ElsaWin and S3 has the rubber TIP from airbox to turbo, A3 has this metal thing

The page you link to doesn't specify the model of car and seems ambiguous at best. The 1.8t is used in many VAG/SEAT/Skoda based cars, it is possible that this would indeed fit one or some of them... all I do know is the only car I have seen this on is a K03 powered A3 and my S3 doesn't have anything remotely like this :)

<tuffty/>