EM TuningChris Nott
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Wheel Setup

1st Gear

Status

My Wheel Setup

Just sold my second car to free up some cash, i was planning on ordering this lot tomorrow. Just thought i better run it by you guys first:

1) Audi New RS4 Reps, 18x8j (was considering BBS LM Reps)
    2) get them dipped to this colour:

3) Put 215/35/18 tyres on for some stretch (how much will this be?)
    4) Space rears out 20mm
    5) Drop it all on AP coilovers

What do you think?

This is all going on a dolphin Grey A3

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    I'm sure it'll look lovely but LM's mate......different league they are imo of course.

Go for the LM's i'll be getting some if i keep my car.

G

4th Gear

Status
    I think the RS4's look lovley on the RS4 and the new shape cars but imo dont look that good on the old shape A/S3's
    8P S3

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    i think 20mm spacer might be to much on an a3, i have 8.5 wide with 25mm spacer on the back of my s3 and they sit right on the edge of the arch so would expect your setup to sit out past the arch tbh.
    id go for the rs4 to as everyone seems to be going for the bbs lms at the mo and i want different wheels as mine have corroded and look cack now

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3_kev View Post
    i think 20mm spacer might be to much on an a3, i have 8.5 wide with 25mm spacer on the back of my s3 and they sit right on the edge of the arch so would expect your setup to sit out past the arch tbh.
    id go for the rs4 to as everyone seems to be going for the bbs lms at the mo and i want different wheels as mine have corroded and look cack now

I've not seen anyone post up pics of LM's recently. The Image thread at the top of the forum seems to say that there are plenty with RS4 Reps (old style). Theres a pic of original LM's on a black S3. Only thing is the tyres are far to big (sidewalls) all in my opinion of course. It still looks nice though.

LM's are classic and timeless. I've never liked the idea of putting new wheels which were intended for another car originally, onto an older model car. It might look nice but says nothing about originality.

We could all be sheep and then we'd all have RS4 wheels, I personally love the Euro look and think LM's on an A3/S3 look the dangly's!

G

4th Gear

Status
    what offset wheels you running? i tried 20mm's with some ET30 wheels and it was sticking right out so went back to 15mm's
    8P S3

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    I've not seen anyone post up pics of LM's recently. The Image thread at the top of the forum seems to say that there are plenty with RS4 Reps (old style). Theres a pic of original LM's on a black S3. Only thing is the tyres are far to big (sidewalls) all in my opinion of course. It still looks nice though.

LM's are classic and timeless. I've never liked the idea of putting new wheels which were intended for another car originally, onto an older model car. It might look nice but says nothing about originality.

We could all be sheep and then we'd all have RS4 wheels, I personally love the Euro look and think LM's on an A3/S3 look the dangly's!

G
    id have to agree mate

only problem is that mine have corroded after only 12 months and now look quite tacky, if i was to want another set of lm's then id only buy genuine lm's as the reps arnt long lasting however except that there excellent wheels very light compared to most replica wheels and look stunning out of the box just be prepared to put some other wheels back on for winter

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3ollie View Post
    what offset wheels you running? i tried 20mm's with some ET30 wheels and it was sticking right out so went back to 15mm's
    et 35

Roads? We Dont Need Roads!!!!

Status
    I will be fitting my LM's on this weekend.... better weather is here!!!

Will post some pics up then if yous want. Car has just had B8's and Eibach's put on last week.

Pic of the car with them on last year but it was sitting to high I think.

Hmmmm maybe I wont wait till the weekend... might put them on tomorrow hehehe I cant wait!

Car: A3 1.8T QS (ARY)
    Mods: Revo Stage 2, Milltek, K&N, Forge 007p, B8's & Eibach Springs, 312MM OEM Brakes, BBS LM's, Light Pack, Ally TT Pedals, New Audi Gear Knob, Int LED's
    Wish List: ARB's, FMIC, Hose's, Maybe A Clean Engine Bay and Free Petrol

5th Gear

Status
    Kev you just gave me wood!

S.t.u.n.n.i.n.g

All that you need do is take them to a refurb company who know what they are doing. Get them refurb'd and get them to put a nice thick coat of laquer on the polished lip. OE LM's would probably be the same mate.

If you decide to sell them & i've still got my car in a few months you let me know. I'll have them no questions asked.

Now all i gotta do is get rid of that wood!

G

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Kev you just gave me wood!

S.t.u.n.n.i.n.g

All that you need do is take them to a refurb company who know what they are doing. Get them refurb'd and get them to put a nice thick coat of laquer on the polished lip. OE LM's would probably be the same mate.

If you decide to sell them & i've still got my car in a few months you let me know. I'll have them no questions asked.

Now all i gotta do is get rid of that wood!

G
    lol no worries

1st Gear

Status
    I want LM's so BAD! I really did have them as my wheel choice, but i just dont have the money! The only LM's i can find are on ebay and would set me back 800 a set!

If anyone can find me a set for cheaper (would even consider used) then i will buy them NOW, money waiting!

THIS IS AMAZING, Fully got me STOKED on LM's:

You think 20mm spacing will be to much? i would rather have to much than not enough, i want these wheels to full the arch right up and possibly have the rim just poking out and the tyre just stretched in.

BBS LM's are always popular, that will never be different. It is however pretty rare to find a A3 with new style RS4 rims, Well i can struggle to think of more than 5 i've ever seen (not counting new shape 8P a3's) and think i can pull it off and make it look a right treat!

Thanks for all the imput guys, keep it coming!

Smell my finger.

Status
    I have new RS4's on my A3, I think they look alright but do like LM's too.

18's ET35.

Seen them on a lot of new cars and dont like them, however I think the look the mutts nuts on a lowered A3

When I get bored I'll flog them on and stick something else on it!.

T
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah i like them, i think they would suit my car pretty well!

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottSummerhayes View Post
    I want LM's so BAD! I really did have them as my wheel choice, but i just dont have the money! The only LM's i can find are on ebay and would set me back 800 a set!

If anyone can find me a set for cheaper (would even consider used) then i will buy them NOW, money waiting!

You think 20mm spacing will be to much? i would rather have to much than not enough, i want these wheels to full the arch right up and possibly have the rim just poking out and the tyre just stretched in.

Thanks for all the imput guys, keep it coming!
    you can get bbs lms here cheapest ive seen.
    what i did when i brought my spacers was to buy the wheels and suspension then get out tape measure and measure the remaining distance from the edge of the rim to the edge of the wheel arch to work out what size spacers you need, you have to look staright down from the top of the arch and follow the line down to read the distance dont pull the tape up to meet the edge of the arch or your get incorrect readings keep it level with the top of the rim.
    dont rush out and buy spacers before you get the wheels and suspension or your end up with the wrong sizes
    Last edited by s3_kev; 31st March 2009 at 19:27.

1st Gear

Status
    you can get bbs lms here cheapest ive seen.
    what i did when i brought my spacers was to buy the wheels and suspension then get out tape measure and measure the remaining distance from the edge of the rim to the edge of the wheel arch to work out what size spacers you need, you have to look staright down from the top of the arch and follow the line down to read the distance dont pull the tape up to meet the edge of the arch or your get incorrect readings keep it level with the top of the rim.
    dont rush out and buy spacers before you get the wheels and suspension or your end up with the wrong sizes
    Thanks for the link mate, i was just about to order a set for 800 notes!!

I have now ordered a set, they should arrive tomorrow! I also got the upgraded Carbon fibre BBS center caps...

Yeah i was totally going to wait for the wheel etc to arrive and test fit before deciding on spacing!

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    cool good choice on wheels to

4th Gear

Status
    Scott did you order 18s? Would be great to see them on a dolphin grey before it gets lowered, as im thinking of some LMs for mine but im keeping the standard suspension for the time being as funds are scarce.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by djakster View Post
    Scott did you order 18s? Would be great to see them on a dolphin grey before it gets lowered, as im thinking of some LMs for mine but im keeping the standard suspension for the time being as funds are scarce.
    Yes i got 18x8.5J BBS LM with the Carbon fibre caps.

I will be running them will stock suspension for a little (about a month, so i can save up for coilovers) and 215/35/18 rubber (stretched)

It will probably look a little wack being a 4x4 with stretched rubber, but once lowered will look the tits.

I will be also spacing the rears right out, but i need to test fit them first.

you will be seeing pictures, hopefully i can get a picture of the bare alloys up tonight :D

1st Gear

Status
    Here we are, The Bad Boys arrived!

What do you think?

Neutral

Status
    Looks brilliant! Good choice mate, tho I'm not a big fan of streched tyres but I'll wait and see what the end result is before further judgements.
    Good luck fitting them!

5th Gear

Status
    Are they original or reps? They look good !

4th Gear

Status
    They look the nuts mate, get them pics up once theyre fitted!

1st Gear

Status
    Looks brilliant! Good choice mate, tho I'm not a big fan of streched tyres but I'll wait and see what the end result is before further judgements.
    Good luck fitting them!
    Cheers buddy, im going to be throwing on some 215/40/18 tyres.

Are they original or reps?
    There top quality Reps, still cost way to much HA!

I might trial fit one tonight, if so expect more pictures!
    Last edited by ScottSummerhayes; 3rd April 2009 at 09:51.

Status
    Look cracking mate!

I have 225/40/18's on mine and they are a stretch.

Mods: Revo Stage 2, Milltek, K&N, Forge 007p, B8's & Eibach Springs, 312MM OEM Brakes, BBS LM's, Light Pack, Ally TT Pedals, New Audi Gear Knob, Int LED's

Slipping at 3.5Krpm

Status
    Stretched rubber is for idiots.

don't you like safety, grip, or being able to corner?

Thats what I have to say on the matter.
    <Insert meaningless geeky specs here>

1st Gear

Status
    Dave buddy, its only a little stretch. Nothing to crazy! You make a good point but i think it looks 100x better on a lowered car. If it was staying the stock ride height then 225 wide tyres would be better suited.
    I have 225/40/18's on mine and they are a stretch.
    Really? but isnt that the proper size for a 8.5j rim?

I don't even think that a 215 on a 8.5j rim is out of the TUV standards....

Status
    I bought them like that from DPM ;-)

When I go to fit new rubber they will have a wall. I dont like the look of it myself. I actually mentioned this in another thread I think.

I need to get them changed in about a month or two so they will have to do for the moment. I will go with Goodyear F1 Asymetics. Not to sure on what size the tire should be yet though as I have not looked in to it.

No idiot here I am afraid.

Status
    Yeah, I think they are 8.5, I will need to check for sure..... but to me they look stretched. Maybe just low profile and I dont know the difference.

So what is the definitive size for 100 PCD, 8.5, Cant remember the offset (though should not matter when dealing with tires right?), 18" wheels?

As I say, mine are 225/40/18. Is that what they are meant to be? Because if so there is no side wall that I can see. Maybe is in other people eyes but not mine. Looks stretched to me.

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah, I think they are 8.5, I will need to check for sure..... but to me they look stretched. Maybe just low profile and I dont know the difference.

So what is the definitive size for 100 PCD, 8.5, Cant remember the offset (though should not matter when dealing with tires right?), 18" wheels?

As I say, mine are 225/40/18. Is that what they are meant to be? Because if so there is no side wall that I can see. Maybe is in other people eyes but not mine. Looks stretched to me.
    Right after a quick google, its seems that 225 or 235 width is correct for 8.5J (PCD and fitment/offset or diameter doesn't come into it)

so maybe your just on about it being a lower profile tyre? 225 really shouldnt have any stretch or if they do it will be nothing...

Status
    Cheers Scotty!

I actually asked about what was the right size before as I honestly took a double take when I received them but I never got a definitive answer on here. So I would get a bit more wall with the 235's then.

I done a search on google (obviously not a good enough one)!
    Thanks again.

Sorry to hijack thread by the way!

Saying that, I think mine look like they have no wall then I have no idea what 215's will look like.

Anyhows, I have LM's and I am sure they will look cracking on your car. Post up some pics when the beauties are on

b

Smell my finger.

Status
    Have a look at 'tyre aspect ratios' on google, will explain all about the profile and what it equates to from the width.

Those LM's look very nice though, hurry up and fit them :D
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

Status
    Cheers again.... That explains why I never got the correct answer from Google! Dont take the piss out of me but I was putting in "correct tires for 18" wheels" All I was getting back was people selling them! Doh!!

Aye.... hurry up and fit them!

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    225 40 18 tyres are a good size tyre for an 8.5 rim the size of the side wall is the percentage of the the width so your side wall will be 40% of 225. so every 225 40 18 tyre will have the same size side wall theretically however some manufactures side wall seem to look more streched then others i have toyo proxes on mine and there not streched one bit but i no some falkens have more of a streched look so if i had them fitted with the same size tyre then they would look more streched,
    215 tyres will definantly have a streched look on the 8.5 rim so if thats the look you want then there the better option for you over 225's

1st Gear

Status
    I actually asked about what was the right size before as I honestly took a double take when I received them but I never got a definitive answer on here. So I would get a bit more wall with the 235's then.
    Yes, 235 will be fine also. Like you stated it will give you more "side wall" and will help to protect the lip of your rim more..

Dont worry about hi-jacking, as long as its helping someone

more teasers:

They will be fitted with rubber soon :D

3rd Gear

Status
    Love the wheels great choice! I'm thinking about these my self when my tyres dead!

But i have to ask why, Why didn't you pay the extra 300 and get them fitted with ZZ3's because I'll be surprised if you can get 4 tyres in the ZZ3 league balanced and fitted for 300.

1st Gear

Status
    Because they would be the proper size tyres (prob 235/45/18). Im going for the stretched look (215/40/18)

3rd Gear

Status
    Fair enough!!!

Status
    I am gonna try spot some 235's in car parks, see whats what wall size then. Got about a month or so and will need to get new tires. As I say, I have 225's on at the mo.

Cheers for the info all

b

Whats going on???

Status

My Social Networking

Visit s3 Hoggy's Instagram Channel
    Scott those wheels are lush!
    2002 S3 REVO
    Milltek, Sachs Organic clutch, 007p, Genuine RSTT's, BBS RS2's
    Koni FSD & H&R springs, Neuspeed 22mm rear ARB, KW tie arms
    LCR Brembo's with DS2500's & Paul's 300mm Rear disc kit,
    Michelin Pilot Sport 3's,Badger5 V2.2 Jetex filter & heatshield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast