Thermostat finally changed

nickrex

Reaction score
As the title says, after looking at the parts sitting in my garage for a couple of months, I finally got round to fitting the new thermostat yesterday. I must say....What an awkward b*****d of a job it is even though I was prepared for it after reading about other peoples experiences of it. As expected the dip stick tube snapped at the bottom straight away and the rest of it came of in tiny fragments (Again, I was prepared and had a new one handy), and the bottom bolt on the housing was as expected a bit tight to say the least. What took ages that I didn't expect was getting the damn hose clamp back on. Just when I thought I'd got a grip, the ****** thing pinged back off again.
Anyway, the car warms up perfectly now (sits bang on 90 instead of 70ish) and seems to drive so much smoother. If anyone is thinking of attempting this themselves then I would definetely go for it. It looks daunting and to be honest, thats why I put it off for so long but looking back, really isn't that bad if you have the correct tools and a bit of patience. I used the guide that is posted on here somewhere for the TT and was well worth it.
Just got to sort out my misted up headlight now!!! Until the next problem........

I chickened out and got the garage todo it :blush:

well i had the thermostat, drivers track rod end and haldex oil and filter changed for £85 (i supplied the oil and filter) no point me doing it, would have took me over a day!

me and mechanic mate did mine yesterday, we got to the bottom bolt by removing a small piece held to the alternator with a single tiny bolt, this allowed us to use a long extension to get the bottom bolt off.... simples!!! although his hands are more grazed than mine :icon_thumright: