4 28.57%
  • Yellow

10 71.43%
  • Other

0 0%
    Works 60% the time, Everytime.

Status

Green or Yellow spring?

What do you guys use in your forge 007? I swapped over the green spring for the yellow as its recommended for mapped cars.

Anyone notice any difference? Anyone have any logs?

I now get less turbo noise but still seems to pull very well.

2003 Audi S3 + Go faster bits

2. # ADS
    ADS

Kiteyboy

Status
    Mine has always been yellow

6th Gear

Status
    Minty...apart from the noise then, would you say the car actually pulls better or pretty much the same as it did, not sure what I have...I assume it's a green, going to have to investigate...
    revo'd

1st Gear

Status
    i think green is for up to 15 psi and yellow is for 16 psi to 24 psi something like that it does say on the forge site, correct me if im wrong.
    S3 mods and tuning in progress

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by leggy View Post
    Minty...apart from the noise then, would you say the car actually pulls better or pretty much the same as it did, not sure what I have...I assume it's a green, going to have to investigate...
    It certainly does seem to pull well. I think any improvement would be very small and hard to tell.

I need to do a high speed run to make sure it still pulls all the way through the revs in the top gear.

Status
    Valve Spring color coding

Green - 6-8 PSI

Yellow - 10-12 PSI

Blue - 14-16 PSI

Red - 18-20 PSI

Please Note:
    The quoted spring pressure (Psi) relates to the un-assisted clamping force of the spring and should NOT be taken as an equivalent to boost pressure when determining suitability. Once a valve is fitted to a car it is subjected to various pressures that act upon the diaphragm or piston to aid its respective ability to seal or hold boost. An example of this, would be when using a FMCL007P valve on a 1.8T engine as found in the TT 225hp. The boost pressure on a "chipped" car can peak at 26psi. The recommended spring would be the Green or Yellow

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chris's audi View Post
    i think green is for up to 15 psi and yellow is for 16 psi to 24 psi something like that it does say on the forge site, correct me if im wrong.
    I'm very intrigued with this spring buisness, based on those figures anybody with a remap on an S3 should have the yellow, I think ours should be boosting low to mid 20's psi...I thought that the car could hit limp mode with the yellow spring...hell I might even have a yellow myself...
    Last edited by Essflee; 27th March 2009 at 11:20.
    revo'd

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    I bought a yellow sping 2 weeks ago because I thought mine had a green one in it as standard. To my suprise when I opened it there was already a yellow spring inside! I was running the yellow spring on a standard car without any problem so I'm not sure how much difference it makes. I put my brand new yellow spring in anyway and did some vag logs and my peak boost was holding at 2psi more than the logs I did a week previously but that could have changed due to outside temp, road conditions, anything like that.

Bottom line is I dont think it makes too much difference.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

5th Gear

Status
    Ran yellow spring in standard and mapped... No probs with it. There is a noticeable difference im the spring tension though if you compare the green and yellow if you pinch them together in your hand.. so it must be effecting when it re-circs....

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fran-s3 View Post
    Ran yellow spring in standard and mapped... No probs with it. There is a noticeable difference im the spring tension though if you compare the green and yellow if you pinch them together in your hand.. so it must be effecting when it re-circs....
    More coils in the yellow one I think.

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    I have a spare yellow spring so if anyone wants to swap with their green spring I will put it in my 007P and do some VAG logging on boost, torque, and BHP
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

3rd Gear

Status
    On my Stage 1 Jabba mapped S3, I went from green to yellow. I am certain that there is a difference. It feels as if the car now pulls stronger higher up the rev range. A small but noticeable difference and for the 5 it cost me, well worth it.

Hope this helps,

ICE

3rd Gear

Status
    I have green, think I'll just order a yellow one and try it, It's only a fiver, who cares if it's not any better!

6th Gear

Status
    Turns out I have the green spring, a yellow one is on the way so I'll let you know if it makes any difference...
    revo'd

Status
    Nice one.

Smell my finger.

Status
    The 007p I picked up and fitted today has a green spring inside it, I'll see what happens after the remap and maybe consider changing it to a yellow one being as they're so cheap (although still a complete rip off for what is JUST a spring)
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    This forum has been through this several times.

The spring colour doesn't effect the amount of boost you can hold. It only effects the speed at which the valve opens and closes.

I've run green springs up to 30psi.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by HTC View Post
    This forum has been through this several times.

The spring colour doesn't effect the amount of boost you can hold. It only effects the speed at which the valve opens and closes.

I've run green springs up to 30psi.
    Talking of which. My brother said I should remove electronic controller for the recirc valve and replumb it. Im not sure exactly what he means but apprently its something the LCR boys do to speed up the opening and closing of the valve.

Will get more info from him.

6th Gear

Status
    Tried the yellow spring and to be honest it's difficult to tell if there was any difference...you can tend to imagine things, what I would say though whether it's possible is the gear changes felt smoother as if boost was ready quicky but the punch faded off, there's a certain bridge I use as a guide to how my car is running, with the green spring i can achieve a higher speed than with the yellow, the car feels more torquey with the green spring...but as I said earlier I may be imagining it...however, I've now put the green one back in
    Last edited by Essflee; 12th May 2009 at 12:23.
    revo'd