Alternative Replacement for the S3

Audi_Alex

Reaction score
After doing some unsuccessful searching on people's opinions for replacing an 8L S3, and also some cracking new car deals out there...

what would you get to replace your S3 if you had to??

I've been thinking about getting a new car (along the lines of a delivery mileage from a dealer) but I can't find one thats:
as good looking outside (subtle but i know it's different to a normal A3)
as comfortable inside (dash is lovely, stereo sounds great, alcantara seats)
as quick but economical too (32 mpg and <7sec to 60!)

Cars i've considered are:
Mazda MPS (interior's not as nice, FWD only)
New Audi S3 (very expensive!! doesn't look different enough)
Evo X (too lairy and thirsty)
BMW 1 series (too common)

interested to hear your thoughts! :)

think your flogging a dead horse.... only thing im considering is an M3 but not entirely convinced at that

I sat in a Scirocco and i was really dissapointed with the interior... i wouldn't have thought that was an upgrade from the S3

The M3's nice, but i'm not really a beemer fan

i think exclusivity has a big part to play as well, I like the rare occasions when i see another S3 out on the roads!

Yea, this is a tough one I've been looking into for the last few years, there's just nothing I fancy out there as a replacement for my S3. I've even looked outside the box like E39 M5, VW Touraug(sp?), Evo8 FQ.... the choice is there, but I have my reasons for not going for them. Ultimately, I was aiming for a car with 300BHP or more out the box as the replacement, so maybe a 996/997 Porsche could be a possibilty sometime next year... decisions decisions.

Something alot quicker. S3 will never be quick enough for me.

Probably get an older RS6 if I was looking again right now.

Although to be fair sometimes yearn for a more extreme car, maybe an elise.....Probably get annoyed about it being too extreme lol. I need 2 cars again.

This thread is pure blasphemy :motz:

No, seriously, there is something about the original S3 and whoever owned one, will probably know what I'm talking about... The new one just doesn't cut it - too ordinary is probably the word.

For me personally, it will be a difficult process to find a car that will replace my S3 (hopefully not for some time yet). It's fun to drive, well built with a quality feel and understated looks that make you want to drive it more.

As per JoJo, a 996 would be a good step forward, and the early ones arn't too expensive these days!

I've been pondering this and the list in order is

1. New S3 Sportback
2. New S3
3. S4 05 plate and newer
4. RS4 06 plate and newer
5. R32 Mk5

Problem is i'm after the 4x4/quattro aspect - had an Evo before but will not go for one, don't fancey a Scobby apart from that you have the Q7 or Tourag but they are too big for my garage.

sounds like a good list that jester...... i agree with most of it for the quattro alone

I'll say it one more time!

996 Turbo! Awesome cars. Well within budget figures here!

G

I was considering an Elise before I got my S3! For the extra performance and handling i would of got compared to the practically I have in the S3, im glad I didn't.... Have toyed with the idea though.

sounds like a good list that jester...... i agree with most of it for the quattro alone

Yeah I was contemplating trading my car in for something else due to the intergalactic mileage and those 5 were on the list. Insurance was within £50 (the S4 was more to insure than the RS4, go figure) of each other. Costs for servicing etc and parts was the norm. I looked at others the 350Z, Mazda, C32, M5/M3 but bottom line was the 4X4/Quattro drivetrain was what I am after. Have been told the GTi is the better car than the R32 - but 4WD is what I want so the R32 goes above the GTi.

This thread is pure blasphemy :motz:

No, seriously, there is something about the original S3 and whoever owned one, will probably know what I'm talking about... The new one just doesn't cut it - too ordinary is probably the word.

For me personally, it will be a difficult process to find a car that will replace my S3 (hopefully not for some time yet). It's fun to drive, well built with a quality feel and understated looks that make you want to drive it more.

well said

Tough cookie.
As suggested late model M3's have always been a nice drive, though here in the Netherlands they do turn into "Chav" quickly (after about 4-5 years old).

Looking at brand new their just isn't much out there that catches my eyes and isn't too expensive. Scirocco looks quite ok but nothing outstanding. New S3 just doesn't give me the same feeling as the 8L, a bit too boring imho.
(R)S4/S5/S6 is ace, but slightly out of budget, esp. looking at the newer ones.

Japs get out of date quickly. Shame since they are nice drives, and quick for a buyable price.

I'm afraid you'll either need to stick to the S3 for some years to come or end up paying a massive amount for a fresh S* model.

Cheers,
Robert

A friend of mine just traded his TT for Porsche Cayenne! First thing I asked him was how's the mpg, he said the trip is showing 18mpg!:eek:mg: lol Madness, then he asked me if he should stick Shell V-Power or normal premium in it, cos it's caning his wallet haha

I'll say it one more time!

996 Turbo! Awesome cars. Well within budget figures here!

G

Nonsense.

Show me a 'budget' 911 Turbo that isnt an insurance write off or has 4 million miles on it.

If I had to get another car at the moment I could see myself going for something like a Bmw E46 330d touring...a lovely looking motor with plenty of grunt and reasonable on fuel...or possibly the obvious R32, don't know whether I'd like the fuel bills though...8p S3 would be nice but I don't think there worth the money at the mo...

Tried out a new leon cupra with 240hp and it was a nice car, but didn't feel anything special over the s3. with that much power over the s3 and my slight disappointment feeling, I don't think a golf gti/civic type r will cut it. I doubt the new s3 or r32 will do it either :(

It looks like something radically different, s2000, or save the money and keep what I've got...

OK (with hard hat on) - i know it was in your OP (too common) but what about a 130i? Supposed to be great fun (handling, BMW 3L engine) and not many around. Also relatively practical.

Seriously considering one as my next car after the 8L S3.

there was a nice black rs4 at pod...gotta admit ive been looking at those too recently as ive since aquired another puppy that will end up being the size of a small horse (estate would be a good plan)...they must cost a small fortune to keep though, brakes, fuel and engine bits

a 1 series they must be one of the uglyest cars on the road, even my daughter says so and shes 2. Ugly car daddy

He ain't taking it out on a date (hopefully), just driving it. Offer me a 130i in place of my current S3 and i'll snatch your hand off.

Bantam i think you missed the point..... you dont buy a car because its ugly

Bantam i think you missed the point..... you dont buy a car because its ugly

Missed what point? I understand the 'ugly point' perfectly well thank you very much. Some people are more concerned about what other people see them driving and what it looks like, than the actual experience of driving in itself. Is that the point i've missed?

The point i was making is that you can't see the car once your sat in it enjoying it so what should it matter, other than vanity and image?

Car forums are just all too predictable at times.

I don't think they look too bad myself, even went for a testdrive in one not long ago as a car for the missus, the 3door ones look better than the 5 door ones though, still.. I never did buy one in the end.

he made a statement that the car was ugly, pure fact from his perspective..... im willing to guess that most on here dont buy JUST for the driving experience... i for one bought for the looks of my car because 'I' like it and not for my vanity OR my image, I would bet that well over half on here did for that very reason too ....

you have just stereotyped and made an assumption that everyone buys cars on the same basis that you do then made excuses for other people caring about the external looks of their cars...

I await with anticipation your reasoning as to why forums are so predictable without mentioning the obvious.....

"Alternative Replacement for the S3"

"Alternative" is not necessary, as "Replacement" conveys the meaning that something else is needed, other than the car in question, i.e. the S3.

Anyway, where were we?

If a car drove like no other but looked like a shed im afraid I wouldn`t touch it let alone care for it. Looks are a factor when buying a car along with the driving experiance you dont normally buy just for one or the other ???

Ariel Atom then ............ sod how practical it is

he made a statement that the car was ugly, pure fact from his perspective..... im willing to guess that most on here dont buy JUST for the driving experience... i for one bought for the looks of my car because 'I' like it and not for my vanity OR my image, I would bet that well over half on here did for that very reason too ....

you have just stereotyped and made an assumption that everyone buys cars on the same basis that you do then made excuses for other people caring about the external looks of their cars...

I await with anticipation your reasoning as to why forums are so predictable without mentioning the obvious.....

I'd respond more fully if i hadn't read that 3 times and still not understood your argument.

Maybe you missed my point a little?

Edited to present damning evidence : http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=69298

If a car drove like no other but looked like a shed im afraid I wouldn`t touch it let alone care for it. Looks are a factor when buying a car along with the driving experiance you dont normally buy just for one or the other ???

Ariel Atom then ............ sod how practical it is

Who said anything about ignoring practicality? Re-read s'il vous plait.

I think my point is simply that for me the experience of driving outweighs (though obviously doesn't negate irrevocably) aesthetic demands. Your's and others' priorities might well be different.

However after watching some of the capabilities of relatively practical cars like the 130i versus my current S3 i'll choose the former over 'cool wall' considerations.

I love a bit of wordplay to make the boring working day pass quicker.

Ah, S3fan; you could argue that a choice that is considered 'alternative' is a replacement. So, the thread could mean "I want to replace my S3 with something a bit more alternative, as in, a Reliant Robin. Or something'.

Why I write this I don't know. Peace out.