Help!! Coolant bleed on 97 1.6???

andywyatt

Reaction score
Evening all...

Just bought myself a 97 1.6 A3 in bright red - lovely car with an S3 bumper and wheels (I think!), but had a failed head gasket. I've just finished replacing this, but I seem to now have an air lock in the coolant system somewhere, and I can't find a bleed valve or radiator cap anywhere to get rid of it. Does anyone have any helpful hints on whether there is a bleed valve somewhere, or advice on how to get this flaming air lock gone?

Picked up some good styling tips so far from browsing through this forum, and now just keen to get the car on the road and get playing with it!!

Thanks, Andy.

Best way to get rid of that air lock is to, open the expansion water tank cap (where u normally top up the coolant) and then fast idle the car. Also turn ur heaters 2full with the heat on max. The heater should start to blow hot air and car temp should get to 90c. After that keep the car on for a bit if u want. On Audi a3 u don't need to use a bleed valve to get rid of air locks as the expansion tank is the highest point in the coolant system. U should hear the air bubble and the water level will become relaxed. You also may need to keep topping up the levels while doing this process.

Hope this help.