Strange Idol When Stationery??????

mspah

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've been having a few problems with my A3 1.6, When still, the rev gauge dances up and down not very much, but enough that i can feel the car judder as it goes slightly over 1000 rpm and just under. Anyone think why?

I did previously have a problem with starting but replacing the Temp Sensor sorted that, Many Thanks to you lot :)

Any help again would be great.

My 1.8T did this in the winter time, but I never found out the cause....i'd also be interested to hear opinions!

Try cleaning the MAF as it sounds like that could be your problem.

The car can not calculate the air flow mixture etc... due to a dirty or even faulty sensor.

I'm with Stormcatcher.. if the climate control is on it'll be the engine powering the A/C unit.

My old 1600 A3 1998 had this problem. Audi diagnosed a faulty air mass meter so i booked it in to be renewed. Turned out to be a knackered ECU.

This was renewed and sorted the problem for a while untill it started again. This time it turned out to be perished Brake system rubber pipe behind engine that had cracked and causing an air leakage.
This apparently is common problem i was told.

Hope its the second one in your case!!

Good luck

Hey, possible broken brake vacum pipes, this draws extra air into intake system, ie unseen by the air mass meter. Audi have a campaign out on this, get it checked at dealer as you may get new pipes at no cost. Also throttle body can get dirty and cannot sit back at idle posistion correctly, or yes it could be the air mass meter.

When you say they have a campaign out on this, where does it state this and my rights etc? Thanks for all the suggestions will be looking at it over the weekend.

i thought i posted here last night re the Audi Campaign that you mentioned. Can you add some more information on this please mate???

Actually the perished brake pipe would explain this as I have had mine replaced under the terms of the recall and it hasn't happened since. I probably didn't notice as I just thought it happened when cold! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif